OT: Bucs, Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Liked the Josh Freeman I saw in the 1st half - got a little happy feet in the second. Good defensive effort overall...Lavonte David is great but got caught a couple times on the fakes. Need to run Martin on the outside a little bit more - he'd be more of a threat in open space.

Biggest problem I saw today was on special teams....are we too slow or is Koenen outkicking our coverage? Seems they always had plenty of time to field the punt and at least 10 yards of space to run...

Moo

Moooooooooooooooo!
Jan 18, 2008
Valrico, FL
Rough few days for Rays. Fight for WC No. 2 is the legit playoff shot now most likely. But if they get in I will root for them. Or anyone besides the Evil Empire anyway. Least the Reds are in on the NL side.

Bucs blew it at NYG but they are playing better than last year that's for sure. That end of game stuff though... not sure if that's cool to support. Schiano may want to cut that stuff out.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Rough few days for Rays. Fight for WC No. 2 is the legit playoff shot now most likely. But if they get in I will root for them. Or anyone besides the Evil Empire anyway. Least the Reds are in on the NL side.

Bucs blew it at NYG but they are playing better than last year that's for sure. That end of game stuff though... not sure if that's cool to support. Schiano may want to cut that stuff out.

There was nothing wrong with what the bucs did at the end of the game. History has proven strange things happen and you play until the end of tw game. Plenty of times has a fumble occurred on a kneel down. You try to force a fumble. Period. I actually love what they did there instead of just standing up and shaking hands with them. Coughlin is being a huge baby about it and pretty much every football analyst is calling him out on it.

The bucs defense and offense was horrible for large stretches of the game. The offense scored what? 14 points. The defense did the rest. But gave it all back and then some with some horrible coverage in the second half. I will say the overturned catch that would have given the bucs 4 shots at the end zone from the 18 at the end of the game was complete ********. It was clearly a catch.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I'm not going to get too excited about the Bucs just yet. The O-Line still can't open holes for a good running game at 2-3 yards per carry and other than Jackson, the WR's disappear at times.

Remember....they were 4-2 at the beginning of last year before the 10 game losing streak.

Moo

Moooooooooooooooo!
Jan 18, 2008
Valrico, FL
I'm not going to get too excited about the Bucs just yet. The O-Line still can't open holes for a good running game at 2-3 yards per carry and other than Jackson, the WR's disappear at times.

Remember....they were 4-2 at the beginning of last year before the 10 game losing streak.

You can't forget the past, but, that was also under the old head coach. It takes time for a new coach to get his mojo working when a team is in the state of affairs like Tampa Bay is. This isn't the 49ers needing a Harbaugh coming in. I don't expect a winning season in Tampa Bay, but, if they even approach that losing streak of last year, complete with that lackluster style of play, it is an epic fail. I don't think they will, either. Schiano won't let them play uninspired, even if they lose 6-7+ straight again.

Moo

Moooooooooooooooo!
Jan 18, 2008
Valrico, FL
Good stuff...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8408970/tampa-bay-rays-pitchers-break-al-record-strikeouts

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Tampa Bay's pitching staff broke the American League single-season record for strikeouts when James Shields fanned Toronto's J.P. Arencibia leading off the second inning on Friday night.

Rays pitchers began the night with 1,264 strikeouts, two shy of the 2001 New York Yankees.

Shields struck out Brett Lawrie and Edwin Encarnacion in the first to tie the mark, then got Arencibia swinging on a 2-2 pitch to begin the second.

The major league record is 1,404 by the Chicago Cubs in 2003. The Rays have 1,275 with 11 games remaining.

No matter what it is nice to be able to have a team competing year in and year out, even in the AL East.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
If the Rays had a consistent offense they'd lead the AL East by like 5 games. It's ridiculous. Get rid of that ******* Shelton and maybe this team comfortably makes the playoffs. This is a playoff team pitching wise but we're doomed by an inept offense. It's frustrating.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
AP839711622255.jpg

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
ircpPwHBmFHw6.gif

Vogt needs to keep his knees much closer together. It's a 5-hole, not a hallway.

Also he needs his index finger extended on the stick, but since it's not a goalie's stick, I guess that can be forgiven.

...le sigh...lockout coaching corrections...

Last edited:

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Freeman is pretty bad this year so far. The play calling isn't much better. The offense is way too predictable.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Freeman is pretty bad this year so far. The play calling isn't much better. The offense is way too predictable.

Freeman is bad every year. Most overrated over reached for draft pick ever. Hes garbage and with the weapons he has this year he no longer has any excuses except for himself.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
ircpPwHBmFHw6.gif

Vogt needs to keep his knees much closer together. It's a 5-hole, not a hallway.

Also he needs his index finger extended on the stick, but since it's not a goalie's stick, I guess that can be forgiven.

...le sigh...lockout coaching corrections...

Maybe he should go see Frantz Jean... or should he?:sarcasm:

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Too early to start #fireMikeSullivan?

That was the most pathetic display of an NFL offense I have ever seen.
Freeman has regressed and totally sucks. Not a very smart qb and like a cement post in the pocket.
Gonna be a long time before we see any home games on TV for sure.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Freeman is not a pocket QB. He is much better in a spread offence, 1, 2 read then run. He is like Vick, but they are trying to make him Marino. Problem is that is in the run dominated offence they have installed just does not fit his style/ability

Remember he was a Gruden pick, and suited to his offence.

It seems the alternative to throwing interceptions is not to throw, or run at all, just hand off.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Freeman is not a pocket QB. He is much better in a spread offence, 1, 2 read then run. He is like Vick, but they are trying to make him Marino. Problem is that is in the run dominated offence they have installed just does not fit his style/ability

Remember he was a Gruden pick, and suited to his offence.

It seems the alternative to throwing interceptions is not to throw, or run at all, just hand off.

Actually he was a Raheem pick.

Obviously this coaching staff is trying to make him into something he's not. This guy is better moving around in the pocket and scrambling or running for first downs rather than standing there like a statue. For whatever reason, he's afraid to take chances anymore and maybe it's because his receivers can never get open but for the last couple games, he's been staring at his primary receiver the entire time and never looks for the second or third.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I was actually hoping to see Orlovsky come in at the end of the game instead of Freeman. That's not good.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So, my question about the NFL ref lockout is this: how will the refs be received by handegg fans in their return?

The natural instinct is to boo, but the alternative hasn't been well received, so do they cheer? applaud? boo and applaud? dead silence?

Moo

Moooooooooooooooo!
Jan 18, 2008
Valrico, FL
If the Rays are to make the playoffs, it is pretty much down to this:

-- Yankees win, Orioles lose Sunday.
-- Rays win out to end regular season, one over ChiSox and three over Orioles.
-- Angels and/or Athletics have a meltdown. Easiest thing is Texas sweeps Angels in a doubleheader Sunday. Then the Angels are behind the Rays by one game.

This scenario puts the Yankees in as AL East Champions (I don't see them losing three straight) and then the Rays and Athletics in as the Wild Card teams.

But there's too much that has to happen. Even then, while Price on Sunday boosts confidence, and Shields on Tuesday is decent, what about Cobb on Monday and Hellickson on Wednesday?

Oh well. I'd rather have a shot than to not have one at all, like the Indians. Guess if the Rays can't make it, I can fall back on my NL team, the Reds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad