Speculation: Bucky agrees to 6 years...who's next?

Who's the next RFA Chevy signs?

• Trouba

• Morrissey

• Lowry

• Tanev

• Poolman

• Dano

• Petan

• Comrie

• Lipon

• Kerdiles

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My call on the Trouba deal 5 days away and counting on the arbitration hearing. 5 year term with an AAV of $6.75 M. Would prefer 6 x 6.5 but I'm fine with a little higher.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My call on the Trouba deal 5 days away and counting on the arbitration hearing. 5 year term with an AAV of $6.75 M. Would prefer 6 x 6.5 but I'm fine with a little higher.

I think you are a little high for a 5 year term. My guess is 5x6.25.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba has gone this far, I gotta believe he eyeing free agency in two years. Despite Jets fans and probably Jets management want a long term Trouba deal, logic says Trouba isn't interested.

What logic? Care to lay it out?

If he actually signs an arbitrator awarded contract, then I will agree. Until then, all the signs I am aware of still point to him signing here long term.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

If he actually signs an arbitrator awarded contract, then I will agree. Until then, all the signs I am aware of still point to him signing here long term.
Correct. Why would he leave money on the table in his prime? If he wants out, which I think he doesn't, he still signs long term and quietly asks for a trade in a year or two. He can't waste these years collecting peanuts. He wants his 6 million now.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Chevy to KO: "We gave our top 5 C in the NHL 8x6.15. We gave our Vezina-quality goalie 6.15 for six years. Buff is an outlier and Laine is likely to be, as well, so ignore them. Your client is very good, but not top 5-10 in the NHL. The bar is set at 6.15--you pick the contract length, but it can't be less than 5."
KO to Chevy: "Yeah right, that's not f*****g happening!!"
Chevy to KO: "Bye, I'm going to the lake"
KO to Trouba: "Hold out!"
Trouba to KO: "Yeah right, that's not f****g happening!! "

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So the Habs just re-signed Phillip Danault for 3 years with an AAV of 3.083. Where does that move the needle for Lowry?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That seems too high for only 5 years. I will go with 4 years at $5.75 million or 5 at $6.18 million.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So the Habs just re-signed Phillip Danault for 3 years with an AAV of 3.083. Where does that move the needle for Lowry?

Interesting question. He has scored or paced 40 points each of the last two seasons while being real good on face-offs and good in terms of shot metrics on a bad team. Should be pretty comparable I'd say.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That seems too high for only 5 years. I will go with 4 years at $5.75 million or 5 at $6.18 million.
I expect Trouba's deal to come in "too high" for the HF Board projections. I really believe Trouba wants to sign, but Overcharge knows Chevy needs to get this one done. A 1 year arb ruling would throw Chevy's plans way off. Now you have to trade Trouba in the next year and every GM will know it. You add in a 5% raise in the cap, and other deals coming above expectations I fully expect a bit of a premium on this one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I expect Trouba's deal to come in "too high" for the HF Board projections. I really believe Trouba wants to sign, but Overcharge knows Chevy needs to get this one done. A 1 year arb ruling would throw Chevy's plans way off. Now you have to trade Trouba in the next year and every GM will know it. You add in a 5% raise in the cap, and other deals coming above expectations I fully expect a bit of a premium on this one.
I don't disagree. I think they'll saw off at a lower term and AAV. I expect a 4 or 5 year term at 6.25-6.5m.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Trouba accepted the basically the league imposed 3m X2 when he signed in November 2016. He could have signed longer term but there was his desire to player elsewhere (according to all the rumours). So already he has taken a haircut in pay by his "holdout" and the salary he accepted for two years. Now he can get fair value for his two years in arbitration and then leave as UFA. Yea, I think its logical he not going to be long term Jet. Which is OK, that's just the CBA and a players right not sign for long security but to be a UFA as soon as possible.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I still cant get over how confident chevy was with the hellebuyck contract. said arb hearings are all comps. said helle would have gotten awarded 5.5 million give or take. ending up giving him almost 700k more on a 6 year deal then on a 1 year deal. trouba cant go to the arb hearing and say if I was on the pp I would have scored more points or more then 4 or 5 goals a year or even i'm a 1st pairing guy when you look at the toi buff got over him in the last 2 years. his numbers are not elite and what he might have done had he been on the pp is irrelevant. how does he get awarded more then 4.5 million a year. why then should chevy pay him 2-3 million more on a long term contract. I cant wait to hear what both sides are asking for in a few days

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
You don't think that Trouba's concussion history comes into play? He had at least one this past year (staggered off the ice) and probably a second one earlier in the year. It was also rumored that he had one a couple of years back. The fact that he could be a higher risk signing might be a factor in both the Jets interest and what other teams are willing to pay.

I like his game and he is obviously a guy we want for our "window of opportunity". However my guess is that if the Jets can't sign him for a Scheifele type number or less for 5 years they will likely opt for the short term arbitration solution. I think some of the numbers thrown around are high. We should know this week.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's in the ballpark for Lowry - maybe a bit less because of our advantageous tax situation compared to Montreal (mild :sarcasm:), and Lowry hasn't been quite as productive (although he was close this season).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
jets - 4.25
trouba- 6.5
is what I believe the asks will be on Friday on a 1 year deal

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba accepted the basically the league imposed 3m X2 when he signed in November 2016. He could have signed longer term but there was his desire to player elsewhere (according to all the rumours). So already he has taken a haircut in pay by his "holdout" and the salary he accepted for two years. Now he can get fair value for his two years in arbitration and then leave as UFA. Yea, I think its logical he not going to be long term Jet. Which is OK, that's just the CBA and a players right not sign for long security but to be a UFA as soon as possible.

Nothing was league imposed. What are you talking about? After his holdout the bridge deal was put together pretty quickly to get him back with the team. We never heard squat about what was or wasn't offered. As bridge deals go it was actually toward the high end. There was no haircut.

He certainly could be going toward UFA but there is nothing to indicate that he is.

If/when
he takes an arb awarded contract we will know that he wants out and is going to UFA as quickly as possible. We'll find out in a few days. Until then, there is no reason to believe he won't sign here long term.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

Depends on whether one accepts that actions speak louder than words. I’m still not sold on Trouba wanting to play here. Sure he’s said some nice words about wanting to stay but his actions are the holdout/trade demand. One might or might not give credence to the 8 million per year contract demand. Either way, I’ll believe he actually wants to stay here at an appropriate salary when I see it.

I’d rather we trade him for assets and sign Morrissey. I don’t think Trouba is worth anything near what he seems to think he’s worth and would hate to see Jets handcuffed. He may be asking 8 just as a way out — purposely ask for something you know the Jets will never pay is a way out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depends on whether one accepts that actions speak louder than words. I’m still not sold on Trouba wanting to play here. Sure he’s said some nice words about wanting to stay but his actions are the holdout/trade demand. One might or might not give credence to the 8 million per year contract demand. Either way, I’ll believe he actually wants to stay here at an appropriate salary when I see it.

I’d rather we trade him for assets and sign Morrissey. I don’t think Trouba is worth anything near what he seems to think he’s worth and would hate to see Jets handcuffed. He may be asking 8 just as a way out — purposely ask for something you know the Jets will never pay is a way out.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. I'll also believe he wants to stay here when I see it - and I'll believe he wants to leave when I see that.

The actions that suggest he wants to leave are 2 years old. Everything since then, insubstantial as it may be, indicates that he will stay. His hearing is scheduled in a few days. We'll soon have some new actions to base a conclusion on. One way or another.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba has gone this far, I gotta believe he eyeing free agency in two years. Despite Jets fans and probably Jets management want a long term Trouba deal, logic says Trouba isn't interested.

There is plenty of "logic" on every side of this question. Logic does not support any one view over any other at this point. The evidence is thin, vague and contrary.

You are convinced by the 'logic' that he is eyeing free agency. Others are equally convinced, by the 'logic', that he is not. Many are in between.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad