Speculation: Bucky agrees to 6 years...who's next?

Who's the next RFA Chevy signs?

• Trouba

• Morrissey

• Lowry

• Tanev

• Poolman

• Dano

• Petan

• Comrie

• Lipon

• Kerdiles

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Bucky signs for 6 years at $37 million & 36.4% of our responders were correct. Who's next?

cut.jpg

Six NHL RFA's are left & another four at the AHL level & capfriendly.com reports there's $20,639,169 in cap space left to sign them. Potential bonus' bring this number down to roughly $17 million.

Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What's Chevy's next move? Choose one RFA & predict term & salary.

Choose wisely. You can't see the results until you vote & you can't change your vote once cast!

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Six NHL RFA's are left & another four at the AHL level & capfriendly.com reports there's $20,639,169 in cap space left to sign them.

Gotta be careful with capfriendly. Notice that Skylar McKenzie is listed on nhl roster for some reason. I guarantee he won't make the team. So that ups the room to ~21.3 with 9F, 5D, 2G signed. It also doesn't include performance bonuses which Jets likely want to protect against carrying over. So there goes another ~3.7 million. So it means there is about ~17.6 remaining in cap room. The have 4F, 3D left to sign that are likely on NHL roster, which would give them a 23 man roster. Let's assume Petan, Dano, Poolman all sign around QO amounts so average about ~933K. So subtract another 2.8million.

So Jets have ~14.8 million to sign the remaining important RFA's to make a 23 man roster. That's 14.8 to sign Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Tanev. Honestly very VERY little wiggle room. I have a feeling Jets overpay Tanev is why I included him in the later group.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Gotta be careful with capfriendly. Notice that Skylar McKenzie is listed on nhl roster for some reason. I guarantee he won't make the team. So that ups the room to ~21.3 with 9F, 5D, 2G signed. It also doesn't include performance bonuses which Jets likely want to protect against carrying over. So there goes another ~3.7 million. So it means there is about ~17.6 remaining in cap room. The have 4F, 3D left to sign that are likely on NHL roster, which would give them a 23 man roster. Let's assume Petan, Dano, Poolman all sign around QO amounts so average about ~933K. So subtract another 2.8million.

So Jets have ~14.8 million to sign the remaining important RFA's to make a 23 man roster. That's 14.8 to sign Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Tanev. Honestly very VERY little wiggle room. I have a feeling Jets overpay Tanev is why I included him in the later group.

Agree there's not a chance in hell McKenzie makes the team. Also debatable whether Broissit is the backup, although as of today he's the favourite.

With that said, inserting the more probable Petan in McKenzie's place wouldn't change things much. Neither would opting for Comrie in net. Neither will sign for much over what their capfriendly placeholders are making.

Bonus's of $3.7 are a factor and should have been included in my OP. I'll likely edit that right away.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yup. Glad we will have a decision by next Friday. Worked out quite well to have his hearing first.

Well maybe not. The hearing is next Friday. The arbitrator then has 48 hours to issue his verdict. So it could not be until Sunday we know the results if they can't agree on a contract. It won't happen, but the Jets would have 48 hours to walk away from the arbitration award after the award is sent to the player and the team (Trouba's will be high enough to warrant this window).

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'm glad Trouba's arb hearing is first. I NEED TO KNOW.... is he in long term or on the way out?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well maybe not. The hearing is next Friday. The arbitrator then has 48 hours to issue his verdict. So it could not be until Sunday we know the results if they can't agree on a contract. It won't happen, but the Jets would have 48 hours to walk away from the arbitration award after the award is sent to the player and the team (Trouba's will be high enough to warrant this window).

True. But if he goes through arbitration we will essentially have our answer by Friday. He will be on his way out if town soon after if he goes through with it imo.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
True. But if he goes through arbitration we will essentially have our answer by Friday. He will be on his way out if town soon after if he goes through with it imo.

I agree. There was a couple of cases last year where they did the hearing but signed before the award came out though. It's more of a long shot in those two days though, and then zero chance he stays if he is awarded a contract, IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My view is that either Trouba and the Jets will have a contract agreement prior to his arbitration hearing, or his days will be numbered with the Jets.

Here's a conspiracy theory... Jets and Trouba have reached an impasse and the Jets are now working on a trade with TB (which is why the Karlsson to TB talk has died down).

To TB: Trouba
To Wpg: Stralman, Foote and a prospect / pick

Stralman gives the Jets a decent defensive D for next season, and Foote gives them a young, future top-4 RD.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Went Trouba.

Predict a 5 yr $33 mill deal or $6.6 aav, or a similar aav to Brent Seabrook’s deal.

I don’t see Trouba signing for more than 5 years, but if he signs longer for same aav, I’m all for it.

Just because he signs doesn’t mean he isn’t dealt sometime during the life of the contract though.

Reactions: Rubixpube

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lowry - 4 years 2.75 AAV

Went Trouba.

Predict a 5 yr $33 mill deal or $6.6 aav, or a similar aav to Brent Seabrook’s deal.

I don’t see Trouba signing for more than 5 years, but if he signs longer for same aav, I’m all for it.

Just because he signs doesn’t mean he isn’t dealt sometime during the life of the contract though.

Herein lies the problem. I think both of your guys estimates are about right. Let's say Chevy signs those. Then adds Tanev for 1.5x2 (like I said I think they overpay for Tanev). Using the numbers I posted above this leaves 3.85 million for Morrissey. Can they bridge Morrissey for that? Maybe. Can they sign him long term for that? I doubt it. Honestly 6.6 might even be low for Trouba and every dollar pushed towards Trouba is another taken away from Morrissey. If they go above 7 for Trouba I don't know how they sign Morrissey.

This is why I laughed when everyone complained that Jets didn't sign Statsny or that they moved out Mason and Armia for Statsny. No way the roster works as is with Statsny even with trading Mason and Armia. Just no way.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Herein lies the problem. I think both of your guys estimates are about right. Let's say Chevy signs those. Then adds Tanev for 1.5x2 (like I said I think they overpay for Tanev). Using the numbers I posted above this leaves 3.85 million for Morrissey. Can they bridge Morrissey for that? Maybe. Can they sign him long term for that? I doubt it. Honestly 6.6 might even be low for Trouba and every dollar pushed towards Trouba is another taken away from Morrissey. If they go above 7 for Trouba I don't know how they sign Morrissey.

This is why I laughed when everyone complained that Jets didn't sign Statsny or that they moved out Mason and Armia for Statsny. No way the roster works as is with Statsny even with trading Mason and Armia. Just no way.

Absolutely. Mason and Armia was just the start of the roster moves if Stastny signed. A Myers or Perreault + Chiarot would have had to go too, minimum.

So I think we see:

Lowry is 4x$3
Tanev is 2x$1
Morrissey is 6x$5.33
Trouba is 5x$6.6

With Dano, Petan and Poolman being about $2.7 total, and Lemieux in a roster spot but basically in the pb, the Jets can squeak under the cap, with moving Chiarot. Leaves some room to pay bonus money.

The Jets are working with the slimmest of cap margins.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well signing Tanev for 1.5 would be a terrible use of cap space. You don't overpay for depth.

But I totally agree with you on Stastny, as I never saw a realistic scenario in which they could keep him.

I will have to redo my numbers a bit with Helle now signed. He came in slightly more then what I had projected. We shall see on the others.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
so is aav is over 6mil for one good season?
bad signing imo. unless he plays as good as he does for 6 years straight
but it's goaltending and unlikely

I dont care if it's penny pinching. I would rather save .75mil for another signing

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well signing Tanev for 1.5 would be a terrible use of cap space. You don't overpay for depth.

But I totally agree with you on Stastny, as I never saw a realistic scenario in which they could keep him.

I will have to redo my numbers a bit with Helle now signed. He came in slightly more then what I had projected. We shall see on the others.

I wouldn't give Tanev a dime over league minimum personally. However I think the Jets overpay since they seem to continually overestimate his impact, IMO.

The big question mark remains Trouba. If he wants over 7 and is firm with that, I just don't see how the Jets keep him past this year (I don't think his arb award would be that high). If he comes in closer to 6 they can probably bridge Morrissey. I think we'll see the other signings in quick order after Trouba gets his deal done one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad