2019 Stanley Cup Final BUCKLEY - Live from Salem, N.H., it’s the Stanley Cup final? At one point, the Bruins considered it

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hockey Night In Toronto talked to both Johnny Pierson and Harry Sinden about the plan in March 1981

Live from Salem, N.H., it's ... the Stanley Cup final? At...

It is an all but forgotten chapter in the history of Boston’s Original Six NHL franchise. And if it’s mentioned at all anymore, it’s usually in the form of a quip, or as some get-off-my-lawn guy’s let-me-tell-ya story directed at younger, disbelieving Bruins fans.

But with the 24-year-old TD Garden in the midst of a facelift and the neighborhood around North Station undergoing redevelopment to the point of becoming almost unrecognizable, this is a good time to remind you — or perhaps inform you — that there was a time, albeit briefly, when B’s fans worried they might soon be driving to New Hampshire to watch Ray Bourque, Rick Middleton, Terry O’Reilly and the rest of the Big, Bad Bruins do their thing.

Imagine NBC’s Doc Emrick welcoming America to the broadcast of Stanley Cup final Game 1 next week with the introductory shot of the building not from Causeway Street, but from a vast parking lot in the Granite State.

The fun began in January 1981, with media reports telling of an impending move to New Hampshire by the Bruins. The plan was that Delaware North, owners of the Bruins and the original Boston Garden, would purchase the old Rockingham horse racing track, which had been gutted by a fire one year earlier, and build an 18,000-seat arena. As part of the plan, a greyhound track would be included.

This wasn’t just gossip. The plan made the front page of the Boston Globe, which included a fan-reaction sidebar and an editorial titled “Big-league New Hampshire.”

But as quickly as the scheme began making the rounds, it disappeared. The owners of the Seabrook Greyhound Park, a little over 20 miles from Salem, weren’t keen on the idea of a rival dog track emerging at Rockingham, and the state wasn’t willing to provide the necessary tax breaks that might have made the deal work.

An Associated Press report dated June 25, 1981, brought the news that Delaware North “… has given up plans to move the Boston Bruins to New Hampshire. Donald Carmichael, head of Delaware North, a Buffalo-based sports conglomerate, said today that New Hampshire had made it impossible for the company to rebuild the burned-out Rockingham Park race track in Salem, its proposed new home for the Bruins.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What was the position of the Celtics during this whole thing?

Would they have stayed in the Garden as Delaware North's tenants, bought it from them, gone to the Hartford Civic Center, or something else? I've never heard that side of the story.

Reactions: rfournier103

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think Steve Buckley is 'Fenway'. Because they might be the only 'two people' who would remember this!

I remember my father promising that we'd get Bruins season tickets if they did go to Salem. We lived about 10 minutes from Rockingham park at the time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What was the position of the Celtics during this whole thing?

Would they have stayed in the Garden as Delaware North's tenants, bought it from them, gone to the Hartford Civic Center, or something else? I've never heard that side of the story.

The Celtics were looking at building their own arena or even moving to Hartford.

The commuter rail would have restored the tracks that went to Rockingham as that line was closed when I-93 opened.

It would have been a disaster.

Oddly enough 15 years earlier there was talk of a new stadium and arena at South Station that also would have been funded by dog racing.

boston65z.jpg

65bos.jpg

Boston65_x4.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Celtics were looking at building their own arena or even moving to Hartford.

The commuter rail would have restored the tracks that went to Rockingham as that line was closed when I-93 opened.

It would have been a disaster.

Oddly enough 15 years earlier there was talk of a new stadium and arena at South Station that also would have been funded by dog racing.

boston65z.jpg

65bos.jpg

Boston65_x4.jpg
That would've been a disgusting eyesore.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I remember this article they even had a spoked S instead of the spoked B,absolutely disgusting to look at

Reactions: sarge88

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That would've been a disgusting eyesore.

Seaport currently is a disgusting eye sore they’ve found a way to make it worse than when it was little but empty parking lots owned by Frank McCourt. Unless you like 4K per month 1br apartments 11 dollar beers every building looking the same and a lot of rich white people.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I keep thinking that at some point, the Celtics will get sick of paying rent to Jeremy Jacobs and just decide to go out and build their own place.

Key word in your post is 'out' the location isn't going to be anywhere near downtown and teams are trending away from that hard I can't see the Celtics building a Palace at Auburn Hills this day in age. FWIW if they were to build one I can't really think of a better location than Salem NH geographically its right off 495 so not THAT bad for people West/South and is obviously easy for anyone North.

Reactions: rfournier103

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Almost 40 years later and Rockingham is still sitting there rotting.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I remember this well, and being upset as a child that the B's were leaving town. I also remember doodling the Bruins logo with an "S" in the middle of the spoke. Then arguing with my brother as to whether or not the "B" stood for "Boston" or "Bruins."

I'd analogize it to the Patriots threat to move to Hartford.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Wonder if there was any talk back then of linking North and South station?

Definitely a shame you can’t get anywhere north of MA from North Station other than Portland Maine these days. Would be great to train up to Montreal.

I would love it if the trains went to Canada. Hockey Hall of Fame, here I come!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad