Speculation: Buchy trade

Does Buchy get traded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Will he stay on the half price contract after this one since he only plays half a season? A bit younger in cheek there, but that is the big problem with him. He is always injured.

Haha yeah, i guess it hasn’t come up this year (knock on wood!) so havent had to consider that.

Apparently he changed up his offseason regimen after years of the same one, more yoga less weights. He’s a physical specimen for sure.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There is no ask, there is absolutely zero chance we’d trade him.

I am curious what it is you don’t like about Chychrun? Good defensively, good offensively, good size, moves well, and is only 25 still on a steal of deal. He may not be an high end #1 but he’s certainly a top pairing dman.
Our issue is that it’s him or Chabot.
But is he actually good? Other than his shot is he even a quality top 4 guy? He plays a lot of minutes but seemingly not well. Based on his stats he doesn't hit, his takeaway to giveaway this year is 8:40 (krug is worst in our top 4 at 21:23, for comparison), you guys don't stop people when he is out there (his 4ga/60 ES is worse than every Blue this year but Vrana and McGing). And he has history of always being hurt. Plus there is talk that he isn't good in room. Just not seeing appeal. Sorry.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Imo, the Blues window doesnt open until 2026/27. I really don’t see the reason to extend Buch at this point. I think the time to trade him is now to maximize the return.

Reactions: Blueston

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I would be pretty surprised if Armstrong doesn't aggressively try to re-sign Buch unless his demands are so unreasonable that he clearly wants to go to market. Nothing will happen to the offseason regardless. Armstrong doesn't want to go scorched earth and Buchy will be a good player for many years. If all goes to plan and our quality prospects turn into good NHLers, they will be due raises right around the time the worst of our contracts start to end/become significantly more buyout friendly. And that doesn't even consider the contracts Armstrong will try to get out from under long before they expire. I just don't see a trade happening unless you are getting a highly touted up and coming or an established young defenseman and as others have laid out, that's very rare, especially for a 30+ upcoming UFA. I don't see many GM's making a move like that.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I would be pretty surprised if Armstrong doesn't aggressively try to re-sign Buch unless his demands are so unreasonable that he clearly wants to go to market. Nothing will happen to the offseason regardless. Armstrong doesn't want to go scorched earth and Buchy will be a good player for many years. If all goes to plan and our quality prospects turn into good NHLers, they will be due raises right around the time the worst of our contracts start to end/become significantly more buyout friendly. And that doesn't even consider the contracts Armstrong will try to get out from under long before they expire. I just don't see a trade happening unless you are getting a highly touted up and coming or an established young defenseman and as others have laid out, that's very rare, especially for a 30+ upcoming UFA. I don't see many GM's making a move like that.

Good points. A GM can't snap his fingers and just get the player he wants most of the time. There's only a limited number of top players that become available via trade or FA and then you've gotta convince them to play for your team instead of the 30 other ones out there. I think that's a big reason Army may have "rushed" some moves in the past because there's usually a limited window to secure these guys. And it often requires sweeteners like NTCs to get the deal done, because some other team will offer it if we don't.

Regarding Buch, if he loves it here and wants to be a part of this team's future then I'd prefer to keep him. If he wants to exercise his rights to test the market, which I would totally understand, then we pretty much have to move him.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad