Value of: Buchnevich to Penguins

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Juolevi+Madden for Buchnevich?

Get lost.

We aren't selling low on him because he's had bad luck this year.

If teams want to trade for Buchnevich, the price is going to need to be an overpayment. I'm pretty sure Gorton is not dumb enough to trade one of his best forwards for scraps.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not necessarily against it but if I'm moving Buchnevich I'm expecting a 1st coming back. He's a good player and he's 24 so the acquiring team has him for a couple/three years. I think he would do very well with either Crosby or Malkin.

No interest in Galchenyuk--want to include him in the deal for cap reasons anyway--you might as well throw in a 3rd rounder too. I don't like him and I would not re-sign him.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is a pretty good offer though I’d really like to hold onto Fast. He’s the perfect bottom 6er who makes any line better and can play top 6 and look good. How about retained Buchnevich+Hajek for a 1st? Buch can put up 55+ in the right scenario and I think the Pens can be that team. Hajek is a raw potential top 4 that’s struggled this season but was our best defenseman in each of the 5 games he played last year receiving heavy praise. We have like 5 LHD prospects on Hajek’s level already though

something around Buch for Pitt 1st is fine
Galy is only a cap dump, do not want, prefer cap $
only would take since he is expiring

there is no need to be crazy generous and include Hajek

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Rightfully so, and I would make that trade too.
Addison, while not carrying the pedigree of Poulin, is not an expendable piece for the Pens in my opinion. We need him going forward I would rather dangle Poulin who probably has more value anyways.

I could get behind 1st+Poulin for a long term piece like Rakell (but again it seems unlikely that is the highest bid the Ducks would get)

Reactions: That1Kid

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
something around Buch for Pitt 1st is fine
Galy is only a cap dump, do not want, prefer cap $
only would take since he is expiring

there is no need to be crazy generous and include Hajek
Over and over...rutherford has clearly stated Pittsburghs first is NOT in play.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Don’t paint yourself as in the middle.

There are two categories here. You either want him to stay or you want him gone.

None of you were suggesting to trade him two months ago. He has some bad luck for a few months, and you all of a sudden want him gone. These are the same people that told us to trade Kreider a few months ago and now want him to stay due to SSS results. I’d suggest not being so emotional and reactionary to a small sample. But thats your right. However, don’t claim you are in the middle. You aren’t. There’s two sides.

Besides, it’s funny how you talk about results, yet people like you wanted to ignore his results when he was given a smaller role for years and was producing great results. You can’t say the results aren’t there after he’s only been given one season of a normal role, and then say it’s decided when that’s the season he ends up having terrible puck luck.
actually, when buchnevich was being held down in the lineup by AV, i was quite vocal in asking for him to be given a larger opportunity because that is, in fact, what he deserved.

but, now it's his 3rd year of having his opporutnity. i personally like buchnevich at the $$ he's at, and I wouldn't mind that as a long-term salary for him. kakko and kravtsov will succeed him on the right side, and he's going to be a 3rd liner for the rangers. he's fine as a placeholder in the top 6 for this deal, but he's not a long term top 6 option and frankly i just dont want the Rangers to pay him like one.

buch has been given his opporutnity that a lot of us called for based off of merit, now it's time for merit to come back into play since he hasn't exactly taken advantage of the opporuntity he earned unfortunately. merit and rewards based on play goes both ways. not just the one that benefits you

sorry for my lack of clarification, my middle stance was me referring to the eye test vs advanced stats, not the buchnevich argument. i will state openly, i don't think buchnevich has a long term place with NYR, because he's going to want a raise that would be stupid for NYR to give to him. the guy just isn't going to live up to the 55-60 point potential the pro-buch crowd has him pegged at. he's a third liner at best, and i don't see him continuing to be payed like the one he is and therefore want him traded for a return.

like some penguins posters have said, they assume pens won't give up a 1st for buch, but if any team will, i'd jump on it.

@CheckingLineCenter in another thread i actually had a chucky for fast swap and not many NYR fans liked it ... i personally think galchenyuk has a better chance of refinding his game in NY and potentially staying, while also taking a paycut from the $4.9 he's making now

@Ikazuchi i think the rangers would want a 1st if they are giving a young forward to a divisional rival who has the opportunity to break out playing with crsoby/malkin as opposed to zibaneajd. no slight on mika, he's just not the level of the other 2 obviously. i'd say if this deal isn't as is or very close in value (ie: not a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st), i think the rangers would have a better offer somewhere else

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Buchnevich is way better than his point totals suggest, easily our 3rd best forward after Panarin & Mika. Galchenyuk sucks and Pittsburgh’s 1st may very well be 31. And we’re giving our 3rd on top of that? Awful
The Rangers aren't going to be trading for an UFA in Galchenyuk. Maybe they'll take a risk on him this summer like we did with guys like Grabner, Pouliot, and Stralman, but I don't see any feasible way he's coming back to us unless it's a cap dump.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Don't think the Pens give up a 1st for him. Loos like he's heavily reliant on PP and that may not be much of an opportunity here.

Last 2 years he's had 26 ES points. Meh.

There's a long list of players we'd rather look into. Also not trying to offend those that may see him as a great player but I don't see the fit.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
lol that was months ago before Jake got hurt. Times have changed
Rutherford has not said any different and Jake appears to be ready for playoff start. What has changed besides pens moving up in standing ? No panic no need to trade a 1rst. They need a winger yes but it wont come for a first

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Rutherford has not said any different and Jake appears to be ready for playoff start. What has changed besides pens moving up in standing ? No panic no need to trade a 1rst. They need a winger yes but it wont come for a first

Do you know Jake personally? You're out to lunch if you think he'll be back this year. It was a major shoulder injury. Even if we make it deep into the playoffs we'd be risking rushing him back and there's not a chance he's in game shape.

You can be 99% sure JR spends that 1st on a high profile winger.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Don’t paint yourself as in the middle.

There are two categories here. You either want him to stay or you want him gone.

None of you were suggesting to trade him two months ago. He has some bad luck for a few months, and you all of a sudden want him gone. These are the same people that told us to trade Kreider a few months ago and now want him to stay due to SSS results. I’d suggest not being so emotional and reactionary to a small sample. But thats your right. However, don’t claim you are in the middle. You aren’t. There’s two sides.

Besides, it’s funny how you talk about results, yet people like you wanted to ignore his results when he was given a smaller role for years and was producing great results. You can’t say the results aren’t there after he’s only been given one season of a normal role, and then say it’s decided when that’s the season he ends up having terrible puck luck.

I like Buch, I can appreciate that hes a 40+ point player. No harm in that.

I'm not rushing to trade him, but if the right offer came knocking, I'd consider moving him

Reactions: kinger8998

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Buch, I can appreciate that hes a 40+ point player. No harm in that.

I'm not rushing to trade him, but if the right offer came knocking, I'd consider moving him

I’d definitely trade him, like most of the organization. There should be very few untouchables in any organization. But there’s a price and I don’t think you set it based on a two month sample where the player has terrible puck luck. I think that’d be bad asset management. It’s similar to the Kreider discussions. If you want to sign him, it shouldn’t because he’s playing very well right now.

You make these decisions based on the body of work and what you project as the future value. I don’t see any team wanting to give up the price it should take to trade for Buchnevich right now. Most teams aren’t willing to meet high prices when a player isn’t scoring as they have in the past, even if it’s for puck luck reasons.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Buchnevich is not worth a 1st round pick. And the Pens have no need to dump Gally's contract, they can easily let him play out the season and go about his way or trade him to someone for a 3rd-5th round pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
actually, when buchnevich was being held down in the lineup by AV, i was quite vocal in asking for him to be given a larger opportunity because that is, in fact, what he deserved.

but, now it's his 3rd year of having his opporutnity. i personally like buchnevich at the $$ he's at, and I wouldn't mind that as a long-term salary for him. kakko and kravtsov will succeed him on the right side, and he's going to be a 3rd liner for the rangers. he's fine as a placeholder in the top 6 for this deal, but he's not a long term top 6 option and frankly i just dont want the Rangers to pay him like one.

buch has been given his opporutnity that a lot of us called for based off of merit, now it's time for merit to come back into play since he hasn't exactly taken advantage of the opporuntity he earned unfortunately. merit and rewards based on play goes both ways. not just the one that benefits you

sorry for my lack of clarification, my middle stance was me referring to the eye test vs advanced stats, not the buchnevich argument. i will state openly, i don't think buchnevich has a long term place with NYR, because he's going to want a raise that would be stupid for NYR to give to him. the guy just isn't going to live up to the 55-60 point potential the pro-buch crowd has him pegged at. he's a third liner at best, and i don't see him continuing to be payed like the one he is and therefore want him traded for a return.

like some penguins posters have said, they assume pens won't give up a 1st for buch, but if any team will, i'd jump on it.

@CheckingLineCenter in another thread i actually had a chucky for fast swap and not many NYR fans liked it ... i personally think galchenyuk has a better chance of refinding his game in NY and potentially staying, while also taking a paycut from the $4.9 he's making now

@Ikazuchi i think the rangers would want a 1st if they are giving a young forward to a divisional rival who has the opportunity to break out playing with crsoby/malkin as opposed to zibaneajd. no slight on mika, he's just not the level of the other 2 obviously. i'd say if this deal isn't as is or very close in value (ie: not a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st), i think the rangers would have a better offer somewhere else

I don’t see what the rush is to trade the player. You openly admit this is the first season he’s gotten consistent ice time from the beginning of the season throughout. It also coincides with the season where he has the worst puck luck of his career. How about we wait another season and see how things go? All the advanced numbers look good, as you mentioned yourself. I don’t think it’s good asset management to give a player one season to prove themselves in a big role, and if they happen to underachieve due to having a season with bad puck luck, we must instantly trade them for an underpayment.

What is the rush to trade the player? Kravtsov hasn’t even yet proven he’ll be an NHL’er. I think that’s still very much up in the air, and Kakko has been very disappointing, as well. There’s no reason to trade Buchnevich now. It’d actually be very dumb to. You don’t trade a player having the season he’s having. If you don’t want a player on your team, you wait until their value is highest or at least not at its lowest.

Reactions: Off Sides

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I’d definitely trade him, like most of the organization. There should be very few untouchables in any organization. But there’s a price and I don’t think you set it based on a two month sample where the player has terrible puck luck. I think that’d be bad asset management. It’s similar to the Kreider discussions. If you want to sign him, it shouldn’t because he’s playing very well right now.

You make these decisions based on the body of work and what you project as the future value. I don’t see any team wanting to give up the price it should take to trade for Buchnevich right now. Most teams aren’t willing to meet high prices when a player isn’t scoring as they have in the past, even if it’s for puck luck reasons.

I agree. Hes got value for sure.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Do you know Jake personally? You're out to lunch if you think he'll be back this year. It was a major shoulder injury. Even if we make it deep into the playoffs we'd be risking rushing him back and there's not a chance he's in game shape.

You can be 99% sure JR spends that 1st on a high profile winger.
Highly doubt pitt spends a first on rental winger. Jake should be back at playoff time. He could be ahead or behind at this point. Pitt has no panic ad they are winning and moving up the standings . Alex G goes first and maybe Shultz for a winger . De Smith perhaps.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buchnevich is way better than his point totals suggest, easily our 3rd best forward after Panarin & Mika. Galchenyuk sucks and Pittsburgh’s 1st may very well be 31. And we’re giving our 3rd on top of that? Awful

Buchnevich is a good player but IMO not just Panarin and Zibanejad but Kreider, Strome are better and Kakko and Chytil and maybe even Lemieux are more valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->