Value of: Buchnevich to Penguins

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
hi all, curious as to what fans, specifically pens and rags fans, think of a pavel buchnevich trade to the penguins.

with the pens tight against cap, i was thinking galchenyuk would have to come the other way... is there any way the penguins, who actually save $1.7 million for other moves from this, give up their first to make it happen?

pierre lebrun says the ask for galchenyuk is lowly at a bottom-6 forward or a draft pick, since that is where he's playing and it doesn't suit him.

my first proposal that came to mind was:

NYR gets: 2020 1st, Alex Galchenyuk
PIT gets: Pavel Buchenvich, 2020 3rd (better of NYR/DAL)

if pens aren't interested in saving cap and would prefer a bottom 6 forward as well, rangers have fast and a trade could look something like this

NYR gets: 2020 1st, Alex Galchenyuk, 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Fast resigns)
PIT gets: Pavel Buchnevich, Jesper Fast

this is mostly for being as realistic as possible with trades in a GM mode, not a prediction as to what will happen at the trade deadline

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is a pretty good offer though I’d really like to hold onto Fast. He’s the perfect bottom 6er who makes any line better and can play top 6 and look good. How about retained Buchnevich+Hajek for a 1st? Buch can put up 55+ in the right scenario and I think the Pens can be that team. Hajek is a raw potential top 4 that’s struggled this season but was our best defenseman in each of the 5 games he played last year receiving heavy praise. We have like 5 LHD prospects on Hajek’s level already though

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
This is a pretty good offer though I’d really like to hold onto Fast. He’s the perfect bottom 6er who makes any line better and can play top 6 and look good. How about retained Buchnevich+Hajek for a 1st? Buch can put up 55+ in the right scenario and I think the Pens can be that team. Hajek is a raw potential top 4 that’s struggled this season but was our best defenseman in each of the 5 games he played last year receiving heavy praise. We have like 5 LHD prospects on Hajek’s level already though

I, too, would love to hang onto Fast, but if the reported value of Kassian is $3.5M, Fast will likely be near the $3.0 mark. I don't know about his long term outlook here at that value. While I agree with everything you said about him, guys that may be slightly below his level can be had at 1/3rd the price in the bargain bin of free agency.

All considered, I would prefer option 1, and wouldn't be opposed to sending Buch + Hajek to the Pens for 1st + Galchenyuk + 2021 3rd (that becomes 2021 2nd if Pens win Cup in either year)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
No thanks on Galchenyuk. Pending UFA that would probably not re-sign (I would not re-sign him anyway) and a 1st for a player with another year + more team control years and a 3rd rounder.

Buch is better than Galchenyuk anyway. Penguins first is not enticing enough for me.

Hard pass and an easy one at that.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Would like to see Buch in Vancouver, but unfortunately couldn't give up a 1st after our Miller deal. What does NYR need?

Reactions: kinger8998

Jim Rutherford

Feb 7, 2019
Reasonable proposal but I think Pens would only consider moving their first as part of something for a top tier return in their eyes (Kreider, Saad, Zucker, Rakell).

Also if Galchenyuk’s trade value gets low enough he may just be worth keeping for a playoff run as an own-rental and hoping to god he figures out some sort of role.

Reactions: kinger8998

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Buchnevich a pending UFA or something? Or is he really struggling? I'm surprised a Ranger fan would be interested in moving him.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Is Buchnevich a pending UFA or something? Or is he really struggling? I'm surprised a Ranger fan would be interested in moving him.

no, he has another year left at $3.250M and is still an RFA. i was actually mistaken in my thinking that galchenyuk would be an RFA after this year, which was why he was included.

buchnevich is really divisive. on one hand he shows considerable potential, but he seems to get a super long leash from the advanced stats crowd because of his impact vs. results.

im very in the middle, i dont heavily lean to one side or the other of that argument. i'm of the belief that advanced statistics carry considerable value, but when you're going on a 3rd year of expecting buch to be a 55-60 point guy for us, and his results STILL don't match what they are "supposed" to, i just want him gone before they sign him to the big deal that crowd wanted to sign him to this summer.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
vancouver is up against cap too, so i think there is a possibility for something like virtanene + baertschi retained? don't know how highly canucks value virtanen, although i know he's having a great year to date
Fair ask, but I can't see Vancouver wanted to move Virtanen, as he's Jim's first pick as GM and finally coming into his own. Vancouver has a lot of plugs in their bottom six, so moving a productive fwd from there isn't ideal.

We'd probably rather move futures, perhaps a guy like Madden or Hoglander, who are both having great years?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Fair ask, but I can't see Vancouver wanted to move Virtanen, as he's Jim's first pick as GM and finally coming into his own. Vancouver has a lot of plugs in their bottom six, so moving a productive fwd from there isn't ideal.

We'd probably rather move futures, perhaps a guy like Madden or Hoglander, who are both having great years?
I would definitely do a deal around Hoglander and Buch

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
hi all, curious as to what fans, specifically pens and rags fans, think of a pavel buchnevich trade to the penguins.

with the pens tight against cap, i was thinking galchenyuk would have to come the other way... is there any way the penguins, who actually save $1.7 million for other moves from this, give up their first to make it happen?

pierre lebrun says the ask for galchenyuk is lowly at a bottom-6 forward or a draft pick, since that is where he's playing and it doesn't suit him.

my first proposal that came to mind was:

NYR gets: 2020 1st, Alex Galchenyuk
PIT gets: Pavel Buchenvich, 2020 3rd (better of NYR/DAL)

if pens aren't interested in saving cap and would prefer a bottom 6 forward as well, rangers have fast and a trade could look something like this

NYR gets: 2020 1st, Alex Galchenyuk, 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Fast resigns)
PIT gets: Pavel Buchnevich, Jesper Fast

this is mostly for being as realistic as possible with trades in a GM mode, not a prediction as to what will happen at the trade deadline
Pens are not tight against cap now with Jake on LTI

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

i think rangers would hop at something involving hoglander + baertschi for buchnevich. i don't know what vancouvers position looks like on retaining some of the salary for sven but that would be ideal for NYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He’s shooting 5% or something like that. Only emotional fans who don’t understand the way shooting percentages work are suggesting we trade him. He’s playing well, but hasn’t had any fortune this season. It happens to everyone at some point in their career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
no, he has another year left at $3.250M and is still an RFA. i was actually mistaken in my thinking that galchenyuk would be an RFA after this year, which was why he was included.

buchnevich is really divisive. on one hand he shows considerable potential, but he seems to get a super long leash from the advanced stats crowd because of his impact vs. results.

im very in the middle, i dont heavily lean to one side or the other of that argument. i'm of the belief that advanced statistics carry considerable value, but when you're going on a 3rd year of expecting buch to be a 55-60 point guy for us, and his results STILL don't match what they are "supposed" to, i just want him gone before they sign him to the big deal that crowd wanted to sign him to this summer.

Don’t paint yourself as in the middle.

There are two categories here. You either want him to stay or you want him gone.

None of you were suggesting to trade him two months ago. He has some bad luck for a few months, and you all of a sudden want him gone. These are the same people that told us to trade Kreider a few months ago and now want him to stay due to SSS results. I’d suggest not being so emotional and reactionary to a small sample. But thats your right. However, don’t claim you are in the middle. You aren’t. There’s two sides.

Besides, it’s funny how you talk about results, yet people like you wanted to ignore his results when he was given a smaller role for years and was producing great results. You can’t say the results aren’t there after he’s only been given one season of a normal role, and then say it’s decided when that’s the season he ends up having terrible puck luck.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I’d prefer going after someone like Rakell, Saad, Kreider, Zucker, etc. if we’re trading our 1st +
Idk why people keep throwing Rakell into these conversations like he’s available. He’s definitely going to be a part of the Ducks plans going forward.

And even if he was available, they would likely want a player for player swap like RyJo/Jones. The Pens can’t offer that.

I would offer them our 2020 1st and Poulin for Rakell, but they would rightfully say no.

As for Buchnevich, I don’t think I would target him. If we don’t get extremely lucky on Rakell, I would keep our 1st and pay a 3rd for Granlund. He would be perfect for our team and ease our winger woes until Jake comes back.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Idk why people keep throwing Rakell into these conversations like he’s available. He’s definitely going to be a part of the Ducks plans going forward.

And even if he was available, they would likely want a player for player swap like RyJo/Jones. The Pens can’t offer that.

I would offer them our 2020 1st and Poulin for Rakell, but they would rightfully say no.

As for Buchnevich, I don’t think I would target him. If we don’t get extremely lucky on Rakell, I would keep our 1st and pay a 3rd for Granlund. He would be perfect for our team and ease our winger woes until Jake comes back.

I’ve seen that Rakell could get traded on quite a few trade target articles from insiders on the athletic this year. With the current trajectory of the Ducks, I see them selling all of their mid-aged players within the next two years and starting a full rebuild. Getz will likely be retired, Fowler/Rakell/Silfverberg/Henrique are all extremely solid players who would net nice future pieces in trades now. It just makes too much sense to trade guys like that — full disclosure I don’t know their contracts offhand, some could be UFAs but I don’t care to research that at 12 am.

I agree with you, if he were available a 1st+Poulion is a good basis. I’d include Galchenyuk and another late pick/prospect if it really came down to get Rakell. I think he’d be a really good fit here. More than that, I think I’d look elsewhere, but that’s more than enough to get one of the wingers supposedly available.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No idea how to make this work trade-wise. But Buchnevich would be an amazing fit with Pittsburgh. Actually something I had thought before. A guy like Buchnevich needs to be in a more vet-laden lineup I think. I could see him score 30-plus with either Crosby or Malkin.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->