Injury Report: Buchnevich out 4-6 weeks with broken thumb

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
*err not air

But it really depends on how quickly it heals. If erring on the side of caution is letting him set another 2 weeks, and he heals very quickly, it might end up being closer to 4 weeks than 6. I agree they should be cautious, though.

True, but unless he's Wolverine, bones don't heal that fast.

I don't trust this organization to let him heal properly though after they tried to rush Shatty back for no reason what so ever last year before his knee told them to f*** off.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
True, but unless he's Wolverine, bones don't heal that fast.

I don't trust this organization to let him heal properly though after they tried to rush Shatty back for no reason what so ever last year before his knee told them to **** off.

Eh. I once broke my thumb just a few years younger than Buchnevich, and was told it would be 4 weeks, but it was healed 2 weeks later. It depends on the person. (Don't think that would be the case today, 15 years later)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It stinks HOWEVER to keep it positive here. they have the bye week in December and a very light schedule first half of next month. So we're looking at 14-15 games at worst.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Eh. I once broke my thumb just a few years younger than Buchnevich, and was told it would be 4 weeks, but it was healed 2 weeks later. It depends on the person. (Don't think that would be the case today, 15 years later)

Sup Logan?

But in all seriousness, you also weren't a guy who played a contact sport professionally.

Reactions: will1066

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
If he's not, then send him down already.

I don't mean to make everyone uncomfortable, but he's a year away from being Puljujarvi. And we're doing exactly the same thing with Chytil that Edmonton did with Puljujarvi.

Sir, I could not agree more.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That sucks. Buchnevich looking like he just turned a corner. The one thing he'll be able to do anyway is be able to ride the bike and skate to stay in good shape.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
A real shame that after playing well lately, this happens.

Hoping Chytil gets more ice time as a result. Probably won't though. Somebody like Belesky will get called up so that Quinn can keep Chytil centering McLeod.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That sucks. Buchnevich looking like he just turned a corner. The one thing he'll be able to do anyway is be able to ride the bike and skate to stay in good shape.

He'd be able to do more than just bike and skate. Pretty much all strength related activities will be available. Core, endurance, etc.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm surprised Chytil hasnt stepped up yet,everyone is passing him and he isnt doing much about it. He probably needs to go to Hartford.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not that there is ever a good time for this but really sucks that he seemed to be putting it together lately

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
chytl andersson vinnie we have options.

buch isnt gonna make that much of a difference. either way.

his game was improving tho so that sucks for him. so much talent.

resume the tank

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
The thing is, the return from any sort of significant injury (a thumb and 4-6 weeks IS significant) is seldom marked by anything like a complete return to form for weeks thereafter (see Zibanejad, Nash, etc.). You combine that with a penchant already there with the player for avoiding the hard places and rough stuff, and the fact that "Buch 2.0" was only in existence for 2-3 games... really have to wonder whether it's not more like late January before we can expect to see him NOT playing like he got punished somehow for playing the way the coaching staff demanded. I do think this could be a fairly serious setback for him and for the team's forward progress.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
*err not air

But it really depends on how quickly it heals. If erring on the side of caution is letting him set another 2 weeks, and he heals very quickly, it might end up being closer to 4 weeks than 6. I agree they should be cautious, though.

Very doubtful. I broke my ring finger playing hockey in February, splint didn't come off for 6 weeks. Not all broken fingers are equal of course, but I would imagine the thumb, being a thicker bone, would take just as long if not longer.

Not to mention the months of phusical therapy to get up to strength after it being immobilized for a month and a half.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have broken all of my fingers except my left thumb, some multiple times. It was from playing goalie in soccer where you'd regularly get stepped on, bumped into in scrums, and block really hard shots from a close distance.

The regular digits, you would literally just tape them to one or both of the finger next to them. The other fingers served as a splint. Even if it was a moderate break and you needed a splint outside the games, you'd still just do the tape method and hope that you didn't have to block any rockets.

However, when I broke the thumb, it needed a cast, and I was not able to play keeper for 4 or 5 weeks (I don't remember exactly) until the cast came off. The break was at the base joint and also carried a dislocation--my own defender kicked me in practice--and they said that any jostling or hard flexing could exacerbate the break and potentially even lead to another dislocation within the first week as everything was so swollen. So, my experience, broken thumbs suck, and can require a legit cast that makes it so you can't really do anything.

Also important to remember it's hockey, and grip is obviously essential. I could play with some pretty gnarly breaks because I didn't really need to grip. Different sport. If I had those breaks in hockey, there's no way. I couldn't grip a stick. Some of them, even though I ably played soccer goalie, I couldn't even bend for a few weeks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Very doubtful. I broke my ring finger playing hockey in February, splint didn't come off for 6 weeks. Not all broken fingers are equal of course, but I would imagine the thumb, being a thicker bone, would take just as long if not longer.

Not to mention the months of phusical therapy to get up to strength after it being immobilized for a month and a half.

Well, it definitely happened that way with me. The break was on the short portion above the knuckle. When I broke my pinky, which was definitely a worse break, it took 6 weeks.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
A sore thumb? Poor Buchie...

He finally started to figure out what Quinn wants him to do, and now this. He never gets a break.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
FB064DE0-12B4-4E93-A9CC-25474576901F.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->