bsmith's first round mock draft

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If we take Larsson, I find it hard to believe we would take Musil over McNeill at 17.

That's exactly what i thought when looking at that mock. There is no way that the Oilers will pass on McNeil at 17 if Larsson is the 1st pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like the first 15 or so. Very similar to how I would have it. After that things get shaky. I don't see Rask as a first rounder. I don't see Puempel falling THAT far. Besides those, it's pretty well done.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
bsmith14 you explained 11 of your picks, why not the rest?

By the way, I think Vancouver fans would be absolutely ecstatic to get Puempel at 30th, even with his injury. Might bring unfair complaining from some Canucks fans who wouldnt like drafting a prospect with an injury history, but when they look at his goal scoring ability IM sure they would come around.

If Puempel, who was a top 10 pick at the beginning of the year, falls to us at 30(ish) then I'd be absolutely ecstatic!

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for all the input guys. In hindsight I probably would take McNeill at 17 but whatever its just for fun. Renegade I agree I am set on my top 15 but after that it gets tricky and a lot of people will disagree no matter how it is laid out. I also agree with the poster that Toronto would probably take Puempel if he fell that far. Its one of those things where you can realize mistakes AFTER you post it lol

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No offense, but not matter how you slice it, Atlanta taking an offensive-defenseman with their first pick is about as likely as Atlanta winning the cup this year. Maybe you've heard of Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, or Postma???? But like I said, no offense.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Pretty solid list. I definitely see Detroit taking Jurco.

In regards to TO:

I don't see Burke taking Alex Khochlachev. In the first round, he'll prob go with a safer North-American pick (Catenacci, Jacobs). Like the Jenner pick though.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Would Edmonton taking St. Croix with their 2nd be a stretch? I saw him a few times, and he's really impressed me.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Would Edmonton taking St. Croix with their 2nd be a stretch? I saw him a few times, and he's really impressed me.

He will likely be available when Oilers will make their early second round selection, unless someone has a huge man-crush on him.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Pretty solid list. I definitely see Detroit taking Jurco.

In regards to TO:

I don't see Burke taking Alex Khochlachev. In the first round, he'll prob go with a safer North-American pick (Catenacci, Jacobs). Like the Jenner pick though.

This.

I like Alex but just because of the Russian factor and Burkes bias towards NA I could see Catenacci being taken instead.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
8. St.Louis - Ryan Strome
St.Louis has had struggles scoring in the last few years and is set on defense. They opt for the best forward available at this point.

so Ottawa has the first overall pick, have a HUGE hole in the org for skilled forwards, and you think we pick Couturier.....okeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

arsmaster*

so Ottawa has the first overall pick, have a HUGE hole in the org for skilled forwards, and you think we pick Couturier.....okeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sean Couturier lead his league in scoring LAST season (16 years old to start the season).....I think he would qualify as a skilled forward!

Nabokov20

Karlsson for Chuck
Sep 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd be shocked if the Sens selected Sean C. with the 1st overall draft pick. Larsson or RNH are going #1, imo.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I´d like to see Hamilton go to the Panthers in the draft. But, on the other hand, Florida has already Dmitry Kulikov in the NHL, Colby Robak playing in the AHL and Erik Gudbranson in the OHL. But having Hamilton in the defense of future could improve a lot. But I also would like to see a center such as Huberdeau or Strome with that pick. That is a good list anyways.

I guess the only way it makes sense is if Florida were to do something like move gudbranson for offensive player(s) and then draft Hamilton.

They just desperately have to find some talent up front

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
If colorado drafts the next joe sakic depite our wealth of centres id be ok with that we could let him develop perfectly and if he could plaw a wing him and duchene could make every defence look like a couple pylons

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Why do people think Couturier isnt skilled? Maybe hes not as dazzling as RNH but hes skilled in other areas. For instance, someone like zherdev can bring you out of your seat with his skill level at times, but is he more skilled than thornton?

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
Why do people think Couturier isnt skilled? Maybe hes not as dazzling as RNH but hes skilled in other areas. For instance, someone like zherdev can bring you out of your seat with his skill level at times, but is he more skilled than thornton?

That's the problem with some fans, flashy players get more noticed because it is easier to see hen they do something good, it's why intangibles are often looked over for the flashy stuff.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Tomas Jurco over Alex Khochlachev in a heart beat. He is very skilled for someone who is most likely going to be drafted in the late round

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
i think if you switch the Devils and Thrashers pick it will be more accurate. with the play of Josefson and with Henrique in the pipeline, the devils needs are at PMD and not so much centre IMO. if Murphy is available at 6th(or wherever the devils end up picking) i bet that Lou would be taking him over a centre. with Atlanta, as previously mentioned, they have a glut of PMD's which would make Murphy irrelevant. Hubredeau would add to a young skilled forward corps in Atlanta.
Still, great work on the draft!

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I guess the only way it makes sense is if Florida were to do something like move gudbranson for offensive player(s) and then draft Hamilton.

They just desperately have to find some talent up front

Not gonna happen. Florida is gonna draft a forward, I can almost guarantee you that. Couturier, Strome, RNH or Huberdeau.. book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad