bsmith's first round mock draft

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
This is the first time I have ever posted a mock-draft on hf so take it for what its worth, im not a scout and usually base my opinions off of other peoples scouting reports. Anyways let me know what you think!

Based on league standings March 7th/2011

1. Ottawa - Sean Couturier
Yes Gabriel Landeskog has said he wants to play for the Sens but I just don't see him going first overall. The Sens take a great two-way center that can play behind Spezza moving forward.

2. Edmonton - Adam Larsson
Edmonton gets lucky that Ottawa is stacked on defence and that there is no clear cut #1. They consider taking Nugent-Hopkins but opt for the big defenseman that projects to be top2 if not a franchise defender.

3. New York Islanders - Gabriel Landeskog
A perfect fit for the Islanders who have Tavares and Bailey at center. Will work well with Nino and Okposo creating big wingers to let Tavares do his thing. Could be NHL ready next year.

4. Colorado - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
At the rate Colorado is going they could be picking earlier than fourth but at this spot they cant pass up on the BPA even if they already have Duchene and Stastny at center. Nugent-Hopkins could end up the best player in the draft, very dynamic.

5. Florida - Dougie Hamilton
Has top pairing potential and can quarterback the PP. High hockey IQ and very intelligent off the ice. A leader on and off the ice.

6. New Jersey - Jonathon Huberdeau
Big, offensive savy center to play with Parise and Kovy (for years and years and years to come).

7. Atlanta - Ryan Murphy
Some scouts love him, some not as much. Either way he has game-breaking skill and elite skating.

8. St.Louis - Ryan Strome
St.Louis has had struggles scoring in the last few years and is set on defense. They opt for the best forward available at this point.

9. Boston - Duncan Siemens
Great time to be a Bruins fan. Keep getting bigger and stronger with a solid dman from the dub.

10. Columbus - Brandon Saad
A combination of Saad and Johansen moving forward could be dynamite. Big, skilled American winger with top 6 upside, possibly first line potential.

11. Carolina - Jamie Oleksiak
First real surprise of the draft, kid could be Tyler Myers 2.0 or bust.

12. Buffalo - Mika Zibanejad

13. New York Rangers - Sven Bartschi

14. Ottawa - Tyler Biggs

15. Minnesota - Joel Armia

16. Anaheim - Nathan Beaulieu

17. Edmonton - David Musil

18. Dallas - Niklas Jensen

19. Phoenix - Dmitri Jaskin

20. Calgary - Ty Rattie

21. Montreal - Mark McNeill

22. Chicago - Victor Rask

23. Tampa Bay - Rocco Grimaldi

24. Washington - Mark Schielefe

25. San Jose - Jonas Brodin

26. Pittsburgh - Zach Phillips

27. Toronto - Alex Khochlachev

28. Detroit - Tomas Jurco

29. Toronto - Boone Jenner

30. Vancouver - Matt Puempel

and just cuz im an Edmonton fan...

31. Ottawa - Rickard Rackell
32. Edmonton - Colin Jacobs

bbad

Feb 16, 2004
Nice list, and with a draft like this one will be very hard to predict who will go when.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
A couple thoughts:

- would be shocked to see Victor Rask go in the first round of this draft.

- I really don't see Couturier going over Larsson or RNH. People talk about the big 4 but IMO its the big 2 then Couturier and Lando in their own 2nd tier.

- To me, Brandon Saad isn't a top 10 pick. I'd have him around 20-25 but in reality it wouldn't shock me to see some team over value size (yet again).

Good job.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
If we take Larsson, I find it hard to believe we would take Musil over McNeill at 17.

i thought about this a lot. i think a lot of edmonton posters will feel the same as you. i dont see jacobs as being much different than mcneill and musil's family is known to the organization.

if the oilers took mcneill at 17 then hopefully we get mayfield/morrow/bell at 32

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
A couple thoughts:

- would be shocked to see Victor Rask go in the first round of this draft.

- I really don't see Couturier going over Larsson or RNH. People talk about the big 4 but IMO its the big 2 then Couturier and Lando in their own 2nd tier.

- To me, Brandon Saad isn't a top 10 pick. I'd have him around 20-25 but in reality it wouldn't shock me to see some team over value size (yet again).

Good job.

whats happening with rask? i have heard this sentiment from others as well...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Good job having Chicago pick a centre. Alot of these lists have Chicago picking a D even though we have Olsen, Leddy, Vishnevskiy, Lalonde, Holl, Johns in the system.

I'm personally a big Rask fan, and Chicago can afford to be patient with him so I don't mind us getting him there. Chicago picked Hayes last year, that came outta left-field.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Great list man, love seeing Couturier at the top especially. I think everyone has forgotten why he was ranked #1 going into the season. His play this year has elevated even higher and I think If he doesnt go 1st he will be somewhat of a toews of his draft (potential for 1st, st louis wishing they had taken him). This guy is dynamite in both ends of the rink and has the size to be a great power forward for many years in the league.

arsmaster*

bsmith14 you explained 11 of your picks, why not the rest?

By the way, I think Vancouver fans would be absolutely ecstatic to get Puempel at 30th, even with his injury. Might bring unfair complaining from some Canucks fans who wouldnt like drafting a prospect with an injury history, but when they look at his goal scoring ability IM sure they would come around.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Canes don't tend to go with dmen... but if there's one I think they could pick in the first, it's Oleksiak. JR loves NCAA dmen and he has about as much upside as anyone else out there.

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
Great list man, love seeing Couturier at the top especially. I think everyone has forgotten why he was ranked #1 going into the season. His play this year has elevated even higher and I think If he doesnt go 1st he will be somewhat of a toews of his draft (potential for 1st, st louis wishing they had taken him). This guy is dynamite in both ends of the rink and has the size to be a great power forward for many years in the league.

I agree. I think if there's a 6'4" centerman, who puts up those kind of numbers, all while being defensively capable you can't pass him up.

I feel like I change my mind every week with this draft class, but I'm almost positive that Couturier is the guy the Sens take. It seems to fit.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
bsmith14 you explained 11 of your picks, why not the rest?

By the way, I think Vancouver fans would be absolutely ecstatic to get Puempel at 30th, even with his injury. Might bring unfair complaining from some Canucks fans who wouldnt like drafting a prospect with an injury history, but when they look at his goal scoring ability IM sure they would come around.

ya sorry i was going to explain all of them but ran out of time. i guess people can just look into it and make their own assumptions.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'd be surprised to see the Maple Leafs draft Alex Khochlachev myself. At least in the first round. Boone Jenner is possible.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I believe that Landskog will be a ottawa and Larsson will be a Edmonton.
And I believe Islander will get either RNH or Couturier.

The thing I don'T know is who will be selected 5th overall.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Florida isn't gonna pick a defenseman, unless Larsson falls, which won't happen. We are stacked at defense so we are gonna select Strome or maybe Huberdeau at #5.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
In regards to the Rangers, two things - 1) is Bartschi the BPA,because, given the depth at LW in the organization, it's not a pick for need. With both Armia and Biggs on the board, I don't see Bartsci as a Ranger pick. 2). Unless I'm mistaken, non-playoff teams draft before playoff teams, so even though the Rangers have a worse record than a team like the Wild, the Wild would draft before the Rangers.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
In your scenarios, the Leafs would take Puempel absolutely at 27 IMO. I wouldn't want Jenner, especially in the 1st.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i dislike all your ottawa picks.

any of the other 3 over couturier (not that i dont like him, i just like the others more)

with who's left on the board, jensen with the nashville pick. If you fix the draft order (remember all non-playoff teams are top14, so buffalo and NY move down, nashville, minny, anaheim move up), i'm fine with ziba.

and if prince is still available at 31, i want him.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
i dislike all your ottawa picks.

any of the other 3 over couturier (not that i dont like him, i just like the others more)

with who's left on the board, jensen with the nashville pick. If you fix the draft order (remember all non-playoff teams are top14, so buffalo and NY move down, nashville, minny, anaheim move up), i'm fine with ziba.

and if prince is still available at 31, i want him.

id be ok with armia too. agree with the couturier point too.

usernam*

ya sorry i was going to explain all of them but ran out of time. i guess people can just look into it and make their own assumptions.

15. Minnesota - Joel Armia

As Minnesota continues their efforts to become Team Finland, they'll be looking for one of the Finns in the first round. They need help at winger so this pick makes sense.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I´d like to see Hamilton go to the Panthers in the draft. But, on the other hand, Florida has already Dmitry Kulikov in the NHL, Colby Robak playing in the AHL and Erik Gudbranson in the OHL. But having Hamilton in the defense of future could improve a lot. But I also would like to see a center such as Huberdeau or Strome with that pick. That is a good list anyways.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
As Minnesota continues their efforts to become Team Finland, they'll be looking for one of the Finns in the first round. They need help at winger so this pick makes sense.

Armia would be a great pick if he falls to us. I also wouldn't mind picking up Puempel if he's available. I just can't see the kid falling to #30 even with his injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad