BSJ: Claude Julien: It was time for a change

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Joe McDonald sat down with Claude Julien for his first interview since leaving Boston.

The story is behind Boston Sports Journal's paywall but here are some snippets.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...en-reflects-boston-looks-ahead-facing-bruins/

McDonald: Now that you’ve had time to digest it, how would you describe your time in Boston?

Julien: Oh, it was outstanding. When you take the time to look back at what you accomplished as an organization, as a team, as a coach, and the amount of time you spent there, the city itself, the fans, it’s an unbelievable sports city. It’s an unbelievable city to live in. There’s no doubt I got spoiled there with a lot of things. The fact that you win a Stanley Cup, and you realize afterwards when looking around how many great players, coaches, staff members have never been able to accomplish that and you realize how much you want to cherish those moments.

Winning a Stanley Cup was great. At the same time, staying 10 years there and making Boston our home and feeling comfortable is what you remember the most. We’ve made some great friends and it’s unfortunate in our business that we have to move around, but there were so many good things that happened there for me and my family. There’s nothing but good, good memories that come to mind.

Honestly, all good things come to an end and it was time for a change. It was time for a change, not only for (the Bruins) but probably for me as well. In reality, it was time to move on and there are no ill feelings about that.

Different people have different philosophies, and none of them are necessarily wrong, but there has to be a good fit there and it was time for me to move on, it’s as simple as that.

Claude is well aware of the schedule and that they first game with Boston does not occur until January and then they play three times in a week. His family is still living here apparently because of school and he is proud Boston was his home for a decade.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm a big Claude Julien fan, and I completely agree with him.

After all the success, it's hard to not be nostalgic and think it can happen again. But a change was necessary for both sides.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Standing O on 1/17?

Yup. Nothing but cheers for his return. Once that's all good and over I will boo him until he leaves Montreal though. Haha I can only like someone so much that wears those colors...

But good to see he doesn't have any ill will, hopefully he was treated with the respect he deserved when he was let go.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It was definitely time to move on for both sides. No bad feelings, lots of mutual great memories and he should be proud of how he helped bring this team out of obscurity.

I hope the coach and his team fails like no other team has failed before... But I wish the man all the best! ;)

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
It's a different case because the fans of Boston literally drove him out of town. It's the same thing with Farrell right now. Anything bad happens: Head coaches fault. Anything good: despite the head coaches.

It would be so Boston to drive a guy out of town then sweep everything under the rug like it never happened

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Says a lot about the man that the family decided to keep their children in schools in the Boston burbs. I don't care how much you are making, being away from your family for up to 9 months is hard.

On the other hand being coach of the Habs makes your life a fishbowl in that hockey mad town and I am sure they feel it is better for the kids to stay here.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
as frustrated as I got with him at times during the decade, still the best coach this fan has watched behind the bench for the B`s. Will never be able to take away the Cup win from him. Also seems to be a man who`s just a really decent guy away from the rink too for what that`s worth.

That said, I wish him nothing but disaster behind the bench of the Habs:)<<<<< but in a nice way

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Says a lot about the man that the family decided to keep their children in schools in the Boston burbs. I don't care how much you are making, being away from your family for up to 9 months is hard.

On the other hand being coach of the Habs makes your life a fishbowl in that hockey mad town and I am sure they feel it is better for the kids to stay here.

I think 2 of his kids are adopted and had previously troubled homes, so there's probably some desire to maintain some stability and /or slowly make the transition to Canada.

Claude is a classy guy, great coach, and an asset to NHL hockey. I was proud to root for his teams. I know a lot of people don't care when the game starts, but I appreciate trying to have some sportsmanship at the pro level.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
still mind blowing that the winningnest coach in Bruins history, a guy who helped bring a Cup back to Boston took an interwebz beating with consistency here.

Yep, there were times it was deserved but it almost got to a point that even when good things were happening, there was still some in the crowd here that insisted they were happening in spite of CJ

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
He's a great guy. I've met him as well and nothing but class and an all around nice guy. Was proud to root for the teams he coached, I think some here take it for granted the success he had here and should remember the disaster he came into and the Lewis era. It sucks he went back to MTL but that's closer to home for him so it made sense.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Always loved Claude, one of the best coaches perhaps in league history when we look back on it 50 years from now and certainly team history, and his class is hard to beat. I'd want him leading me any day.

Like he said, it was a time for a change, and that's ok, all around

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
There was a time I loved what Claude was doing with this team.

Waited for the cup for a long time and he brought it home .

Can't take that away from him, he had everyone dialed in, everyone had the others back, it was a thing of beauty.

Sadly the message got stale way before he was fired. It was actually past time for change IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad