B's vs. T.O. Trio - Points

which trio will finish the year with more points

• Total voters

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Yeah but they still have a lot more time together than Marner Matthews and Tavares

Again there are more chances being on separate lines to assist on goals

Back to my point, if all goals have one assist on average you are more likely to rack up points for a group of players by spreading them out

Its not like the 2nd line in Toronto is getting no TOI. All 6 players are averaging about the same amount of time

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
As of February 13, 2019:

Matthews (25-25-50), Tavares (33-29-62) and Marner (20-47-67) = 78-101-179

Bergeron (20-33-53), Marchand (22-47-69) and Pastrnak (31-35-66) = 73-115-188

Very close.

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Because if the Bruins trio plays together at both 5v5 and on the power play they have more chances to get points, where as Matthews, Tavares, and Marner only play together on the power play. It's so obvious that I can't believe it needs any more explaining.

Wow. Think again, hard

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Again there are more chances being on separate lines to assist on goals

Back to my point, if all goals have one assist on average you are more likely to rack up points for a group of players by spreading them out

Its not like the 2nd line in Toronto is getting no TOI. All 6 players are averaging about the same amount of time

That doesn't seem to be even close to the case when say for instance you separate Draisaitl from McDavid?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Would be a bit more interesting if the Toronto trio played on the same line. Kind of skews the results.
Thank you for seeing the exact same thing I have, because Matthews, Tavares, and Marner only play together on the power play. This season there have been a few times where Toronto has had 1 power play in some games and 0 power plays as well. So it's harder for all 3 to play together when things like that happen.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Thank you for seeing the exact same thing I have, because Matthews, Tavares, and Marner only play together on the power play. This season there have been a few times where Toronto has had 1 power play in some games and 0 power plays as well. So it's harder for all 3 to play together when things like that happen.

It's hard for me to imagine that Matthews wouldn't have better offensive production playing most of his minutes with Tavares and Marner. His most common linemates so far in his career are Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander. Unless they just had no chemistry, it seems very unlikely that he wouldn't put up better numbers. I mean, I used Draisaitl as an example that would seem to debunk Carl's theory but to stay on topic, does it not seem odd that suddenly in his 30's, Bergeron has gone from being normally a 50 - 60 point player to suddenly a point per game plus player? If he had the ability to come even close to replicating that on another line, wouldn't Boston (whose only real "weakness" is depth outside that one line) play him on another line to make themselves an even more difficult team to play against? I mean clearly, he'd have more opportunity for points, right?

Doesn't add up for me.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
It's hard for me to imagine that Matthews wouldn't have better offensive production playing most of his minutes with Tavares and Marner. His most common linemates so far in his career are Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander. Unless they just had no chemistry, it seems very unlikely that he wouldn't put up better numbers. I mean, I used Draisaitl as an example that would seem to debunk Carl's theory but to stay on topic, does it not seem odd that suddenly in his 30's, Bergeron has gone from being normally a 50 - 60 point player to suddenly a point per game plus player? If he had the ability to come even close to replicating that on another line, wouldn't Boston (whose only real "weakness" is depth outside that one line) play him on another line to make themselves an even more difficult team to play against? I mean clearly, he'd have more opportunity for points, right?

Doesn't add up for me.

Well because why would you want to give your best player less ice time? Krejci is just a bit under a PPG himself, he does a good job as the 2C on the team.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well because why would you want to give your best player less ice time? Krejci is just a bit under a PPG himself, he does a good job as the 2C on the team.

Why give him less ice time? Roll him equally. He already gets almost identical minutes to Krejci save his SH time so really, shouldn't be an issue. Switch the two and watch Bergeron's points climb because the theory is he'll have more opportunity for points.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
188-185 bruins trio now (kinda expected given the bruins basically roll htem the entire powerplay)

Pastrnak out for at least 2 weeks though so leafs gonna take it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad