B's vs. T.O. Trio - Points

which trio will finish the year with more points

• Total voters

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
An injury or two will probably dictate the outcome but which high powered trio of players do you think finishes with more combined points. No 'pace', P/60, 'but power plays', line mates, more goals - whatever.

Just whom you think will combine with more points by the end of the year.

Last year - including playoffs
(just for reference as a lot has changed - especially on the T.O. side - and I know I just said to ignore pace)
Bruins -227 points in 214 games - 53 points in 35 playoff games - 280 points in 249 games
Leafs - 216 points in 226 games - 11 points in 14 playoff games - 227 points in 240 games

This year
Bruins - 36 points in 21 games
Leafs - 38 points in 24 games

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I was tempted to start a thread on the main boards, including Pitts, Wash, Dal, Wpg, etc but thought I'd leave it with these two considering their torrid starts. Things will tighten up but with some of the defences out there, especially in the East, and with how top heavy a few teams are - we could be looking at some big numbers this year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Bruins trio will score more points. But, I would rather have two centers than two wings in my top 3 forwards.

I can definitely understand that.
Makes for a better team but the Boston line is just so much fun to watch. I find myself just waiting for them to come over the boards because you're going to see something happen every shift it seems.
Bruins top line was sloppy against The Oil last night. Road trip - back-to-back? And couldn't convert a few chances in Calgary - hopefully it wasn't just a case of a red-hot start - and that Cassidy keeps them together - which could also really reflect in the totals.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can definitely understand that.
Makes for a better team but the Boston line is just so much fun to watch. I find myself just waiting for them to come over the boards because you're going to see something happen every shift it seems.
Bruins top line was sloppy against The Oil last night. Road trip - back-to-back? And couldn't convert a few chances in Calgary - hopefully it wasn't just a case of a red-hot start - and that Cassidy keeps them together - which could also really reflect in the totals.

Its like Pedro pitching or Brady with 2 minutes left down by 6. It's just amazing to watch. But, count me amongst the 'um, maybe we should try Pasta down with Krejci' crew.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Its like Pedro pitching or Brady with 2 minutes left down by 6. It's just amazing to watch. But, count me amongst the 'um, maybe we should try Pasta down with Krejci' crew.

Ya, I just don't know. I know what you're saying and ya, sorta, maybe - but breaking that line up just seems like a shame. Not just for Bruins fans either. NHL fans in general. That line is the most fun thing to watch in the league at the moment and even if it would make the Bruins a more balanced team - I think we should all be allowed to just enjoy that line for a year and watch the show.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
the Leafs trio isn't a line. But if it was, it would be better

It could very well be but - right now that Bruins line is something special - and it's hard to see any combination of three players on a team being significantly better than those three. The T.O. three would be great to watch as a line together. Wonder if they'll try loading it up every once in awhile?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nope.
Hockey is about more than just points. Preventing goals also is important. It’s the Bruins trio.
do you realize the poll is asking about points? you always come up with unique criteria in order to vote against the Leafs option every time, so this is nothing new I guess

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Bruins fan but I went with Toronto. Mostly because between Marchand/Bergeron there will be some games likely missed.

I see all of these player ending up between 80-90 points with the exception of maybe Bergeron. Although he's off to a wicked start that would be the high end of his possibilities. At the same time Marchand is the most likely to end up closer to 100 so he could even it out. That's why assuming there are injuries/suspensions Toronto guys are more likely to play a full or close to 82 games.

Not considering playoffs here though...

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
do you realize the poll is asking about points? you always come up with unique criteria in order to vote against the Leafs option every time, so this is nothing new I guess
Yes I realize what the poll question is. And I said I expect the Bruins to score slightly more points.
You said the Leafs trio would be ‘better’ if it was a line. Better should take into account defense. You made the claim so stop moving the goal posts and back pedalling.
As for how I vote I try to consider the question and answer based on proven results not just potential. I note that I’m in the majority on this poll. You vote for the Leafs in almost every single poll so rather than just criticize maybe try to improve your own objectivity.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Toronto

I could see matthews and Tavares finsihing 1-2 among the 6 - and i doubt Marner finishes last

My bias disdain for Marchand likely affects my voting tho - as objectively speaking based on last 2 years he could end up first. Still voted Toronto

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bruins fan but I went with Toronto. Mostly because between Marchand/Bergeron there will be some games likely missed.

I see all of these player ending up between 80-90 points with the exception of maybe Bergeron. Although he's off to a wicked start that would be the high end of his possibilities. At the same time Marchand is the most likely to end up closer to 100 so he could even it out. That's why assuming there are injuries/suspensions Toronto guys are more likely to play a full or close to 82 games.

Not considering playoffs here though...

Ya. Bruins fan and started it but really thought about voting Toronto because of the chances of missed games - or even just playing with a nagging injury - as Bergeron seems to quite often. And what are the chances Marchand doesn't get at least a couple game suspension.

Before the season I would've had...

Marchand - thought he could win the Art Ross this year. And comfortably #1 of the 6

Matthews and Pastrnak - thought they both could be 90 + points and challenge for The Rocket

Tavares, Marner and Bergeron - all around 80- 90 points.

They'll all slow down, but with the starts these guys have had, especially Bergeron, and some lethal power plays - I'm not sure what to think at the moment. Both trios could be anywhere from 230 to a ridiculous 300+ points this year. ?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
As far as points go, I think TOR's trio might stack more.
Now if you're talking line chemistry and on-ice efficiency, I'd say BOS is ahead.
If we're talking managing assets, I go back with TOR.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Close poll. Which is sorta what I was hoping. Thought about it randomly a couple days ago, it got stuck in my head for some reason - but couldn't decide - and thought the collective group think might help out. But seems like I wasn't out of left field being unsure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad