Confirmed with Link: B's sign Kuraly per Buccigross

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I think that 2 are longshots and 1 is a possibility. It's friggin hard for 3rd,4th and 5th rounders to buck the odds.
Maybe not as hard as you think.

O'Gara was the last pick of the 5th round in 2011. Nine players from that round have already played in the NHL, including Andrew Shaw and Nikita Nesterov. Nine picks after the Bruins took O'Gara, Anaheim took Josh Manson. I watched both players in college. They're somewhat comparable, except O'Gara was a better all-around player. If O'Gara is another Josh Manson, then yeah... I think it's worth getting excited over. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Larry Robinson... but he's a very good prospect.

The following year, the Bruins took Grzelcyk at the end of the 3rd round. 13 players from that round have already played in the NHL, including Shayne Gostisbehere and Colton Parayko. (Jon Gillies probably would have made it 14, had he not suffered a hip injury early this year.)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Gryz and Heinen, and Heinen doesn't necessarily need to be signed now. Who else? Gryz would make 50, and I know we were looking at Tanev, he's undrafted, right? So him, which would be #51, or -1. Obviously way too early to think about Vesey but he can't be signed by anyone other than NSH until mid August.

Youve solved the riddle.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Gryz and Heinen, and Heinen doesn't necessarily need to be signed now. Who else? Gryz would make 50, and I know we were looking at Tanev, he's undrafted, right? So him, which would be #51, or -1. Obviously way too early to think about Vesey but he can't be signed by anyone other than NSH until mid August.

Right. I know fans want action NOW, but circumstances differ.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Maybe not as hard as you think.

O'Gara was the last pick of the 5th round in 2011. Nine players from that round have already played in the NHL, including Andrew Shaw and Nikita Nesterov. Nine picks after the Bruins took O'Gara, Anaheim took Josh Manson. I watched both players in college. They're somewhat comparable, except O'Gara was a better all-around player. If O'Gara is another Josh Manson, then yeah... I think it's worth getting excited over. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Larry Robinson... but he's a very good prospect.

The following year, the Bruins took Grzelcyk at the end of the 3rd round. 13 players from that round have already played in the NHL, including Shayne Gostisbehere and Colton Parayko. (Jon Gillies probably would have made it 14, had he not suffered a hip injury early this year.)

When they get to 500 NHL games I'll call them somewhat successful draft picks,that's what I mean by "bucking the odds."

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Right. I know fans want action NOW, but circumstances differ.

So Tanev is out cause we have Breen signed.....

As I propositioned earlier why wouldn't you buy out Breen and sign Tanev today if it's tangible?

Circumstances differ but is it correctable if they feel it's worth it?

They could also make a trade with a team still to dump a contract I guess....

Trading is legal the players just aren't eligible for NHL playoffs. AHL has a games played rule so not sure where they are with regards to that number. It's unprecidented but theoritically they could trade for Vesey tmrw and sign him to play still.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

NSH could trade his rights tomorrow.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Im surprised they signed Kuraly. I mean, sure hes a 'good' prospect but hes a dime a dozen. Bottom six guy with low offensive ceiling. Don't we have enough of those guys? They must see something else in him, or hes strictly signed for Providence. Still, seems strange they were so eager to sign him.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Im surprised they signed Kuraly. I mean, sure hes a 'good' prospect but hes a dime a dozen. Bottom six guy with low offensive ceiling. Don't we have enough of those guys? They must see something else in him, or hes strictly signed for Providence. Still, seems strange they were so eager to sign him.

They did trade for him. Wouldn't make sense to have him included in the Jones deal if you dind't like him enough to sign him.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
NSH could trade his rights tomorrow.

If Nsh were to trade his rights to Boston, the B's could probably send a contracted player back the other way to make room. I haven't looked, but I would guess Nsh has a spot in their 50 contract limit that they were holding for Vesey anyway. If the preds are trading Vesey away they'd probably be able to take Irwin back as part of the deal.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If Nsh were to trade his rights to Boston, the B's could probably send a contracted player back the other way to make room. I haven't looked, but I would guess Nsh has a spot in their 50 contract limit that they were holding for Vesey anyway. If the preds are trading Vesey away they'd probably be able to take Irwin back as part of the deal.

Why bother?

He can't play in the playoffs for any team but Nashville. Bruins are at only 48 contracts anyway. Wouldn't need to clear a spot for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad