Confirmed with Link: B's Sign Krug to a One-Year Contract Extension and Smith to a Two-Year Contract Exten

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Krug and the Bruins are essentially doing the same scenario as was done with Rask. Mutually agreed upon 1 year deal to prove hes worthy, or not, as a top 4 D man and worthy on a longer term at that market value.

This article has supporting comments from both:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-extensions/5ioZpbr5aER8SLBtbe8yYJ/story.html

That is why he was comfortable going with a riskier one-year deal, rather than more term and more stability.

“I want to prove myself as a top-four guy,†Krug said. “My whole career I’ve been betting on myself, so it’s another opportunity to do that.

“I just want to expand my role. I think like any player would, they want to play more, they want to be a bigger part of the team. And that’s the reasoning behind the one year.â€

As Chiarelli said, “Right now, if you just look at minutes, from the outside, you’d say he’s not a top-four guy. But he’s close.â€

So what does he need to do to prove himself?

“With me, the question is defending,†Krug said. “I pride myself on how I defend and the amount I defend. I don’t defend as much as other people because I break the puck out of our zone and don’t spend a lot of time in our zone.

that's telling i think. its not like our D is that great to start with....

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
are you seriously trying to make an argument that Krug is on the same planet as those guys?

Is anyone? He was talking offensive production.

The truth is that there's a new kind of dman in this league, and it started with Mike Green recently (and obviously you can go back farther than that to an extent, but I'm talking with the new rules in place). Karlsson has taken it to the extreme now. Tremendously gifted offensive guys that are a liability in their own end. But goalies have become so good that you need any advantage you can to score goals. You can limit their liability based on their dzone start % and who you pair them with. You can overload their PP time, and eliminate their PK time.

Krug is part of that group, and he'll never be paid like the very best of them. But never again will a guy like Krug make under 3m. He's too gifted, and his agent and every GM knows it.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Is anyone? He was talking offensive production.

The truth is that there's a new kind of dman in this league, and it started with Mike Green recently (and obviously you can go back farther than that to an extent, but I'm talking with the new rules in place). Karlsson has taken it to the extreme now. Tremendously gifted offensive guys that are a liability in their own end. But goalies have become so good that you need any advantage you can to score goals. You can limit their liability based on their dzone start % and who you pair them with. You can overload their PP time, and eliminate their PK time.

Krug is part of that group, and he'll never be paid like the very best of them. But never again will a guy like Krug make under 3m. He's too gifted, and his agent and every GM knows it.

i know he was talking offensive production, which makes the whole comparison pointless, which is why i was asking him the question to let him clarify his point on his own.

Krug is an offensive third pairing d-man. that's it. he's not a top four guy, and has yet to prove he can be (just like Smith is not a 20 goal scorer)

there's nothing new about the Mike Greens of the NHL. or the Karlsson's. ever hear of Bobby Orr? Phill Housley? Offensive d-men have been around for ages.

this notion that we are living in a 'new era of the nhl' is so overblown its not even funny.

neither krug or smith fit on this team at those cap hits.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Yes, we agree.

But Smith at 3.5m compared to most offensive mid-range RW's is fair. I won't even limit myself to young guys with the kind of room for improvement Smith has (which is a big advantage and has a monetary value). Some guys here will be about as good as they're going to get at RW:

Gallagher 3.75m
David Jones 4m
Atkinson 3.5m
Hemsky 4m
Kulemin 4.1m
Read 3.62m
Brouwer 3.6m

There's a pretty clear range there bound by 3.5 on the low side and into the 4's on the high side.

Now obviously you get deals like Tatar or Hornqvist that are tremendous value. We have those too, Krug at 1.4m for what he's doing is robbery for example. But a GM is not always in a position to have all his deals be robbery. The same team that got Tatar for that sweet deal has to give Weiss almost 5m per. They also have Quincey at over 4m (yuck). While you're giving Hornqvist that sweet 4m, Scuderi is getting is getting almost 3.75m, sort of the similar hurt that Seidenberg puts on us.

The reason it's low risk is that if he devolves to a 13g 25a player for 38 points, he's at most 1m overpaid. If you feel that's his fate, Chia wasted 1m. That said he's trending more more towards 17-22 goals a year, in which case it's just market value or better.

Chia didn't win GM of the year for this the way Tatar will shake out. But he didn't blow the budget and he's got his cap figure for next year about where he wants it. My honest opinion.

How many of those guys were RFA? How many of them signed lengthy contracts? All I'm saying is that chia doesn't haggle. When was the last time he got a low end contract besides trading for one or promises? Look at Coyle. 23 years old making $3.2 per over the next 5 years. That is a good contract. Chia's always pays high end of the scale.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
How many of those guys were RFA? How many of them signed lengthy contracts? All I'm saying is that chia doesn't haggle. When was the last time he got a low end contract besides trading for one or promises? Look at Coyle. 23 years old making $3.2 per over the next 5 years. That is a good contract. Chia's always pays high end of the scale.

and how many of them would you take over smith....

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
i know he was talking offensive production, which makes the whole comparison pointless, which is why i was asking him the question to let him clarify his point on his own.

Krug is an offensive third pairing d-man. that's it. he's not a top four guy, and has yet to prove he can be (just like Smith is not a 20 goal scorer)

there's nothing new about the Mike Greens of the NHL. or the Karlsson's. ever hear of Bobby Orr? Phill Housley? Offensive d-men have been around for ages.

this notion that we are living in a 'new era of the nhl' is so overblown its not even funny.

neither krug or smith fit on this team at those cap hits.

Again with this inventing of stuff- on what planet is Smith not a 20 goal scorer? In what was literally his only full season in the league he scored 21 goals. Does that not fit the criteria of what a 20 goal scorer is?

AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS??!!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Again with this inventing of stuff- on what planet is Smith not a 20 goal scorer? In what was literally his only full season in the league he scored 21 goals. Does that not fit the criteria of what a 20 goal scorer is?

gotta have 22+ to be considered a 20 goal guy:sarcasm:

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

whats he got this year?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Krug last year?
Soderberg?
Boychuk's last deal?
You could argue Marchand at 4.5

that's a start. Krejci before his extension too.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I like Krugs, he brings a dimension this team sorely missed for a long time. Smith on the other hand meh. I was hoping Sods would stay and Smith would go, looks like we are saying goodbye to Carl.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I'm still butt hurt over this Smith signing. PC should've dangled him a bit and delayed this. Also wait and see how he and the rest of the team do the rest of this year. Maybe he would have gotten the same amount or more in arbitration but waiting until the offseason to do this keeps a lot of options open imo... Oh well.

Meusoc

Dec 15, 2014
This is the state of the Bruins fan base today: They sign Reilly Smith for $3.5 million, he has 12 goals in 65 games, 2 being empty netters. And the fan base cheers like its a great idea..

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
This is the state of the Bruins fan base today: They sign Reilly Smith for $3.5 million, he has 12 goals in 65 games, 2 being empty netters. And the fan base cheers like its a great idea..

Aside from all the people freaking out about it, sure.

What a ****ing stupid comment.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
Krug is worth every penny. He belongs on this team, with this core group, and he's looked that way almost for the start. I think this deal is smart. It could certainly set a bar for Dougie Hamilton, as well. Chiarelli also looks like followed through which means he has added rep in contract negotiations.

Reilly Smith I am less enthusiastic about at the price. It's not like he doesn't have value at that number, though.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I think that Krug's value going forward is contingent on figuring out a permanent guy to pair with him. His offensive upside means that he needs a right-side guy who can consistently anticipate his ranging. I don't think it necessarily means he needs a stay-at-home guy to role with, but just that I want to see some consistency on that pairing.

All that said, I worry about him ringing the bell after this extension is over. What does he project as in terms of peak cap hit?

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I think the Bruins are ready to pay Krug big bucks. That 1 year "bridge year" extension will give certainty to the Bruins regarding Krug's ability to manage an "expended" role on the team. One thing for sure: PP change dramatically when he started to play on it. Pay the guy. Re-signing Smith on a 2 years term is a low risk-high reward move. The guy is young with upside. If for whatever reasons things doesn't pan out in Boston, you can move that contract very easily. The thing with Smith: we can't pay him 3per+ to play on the 3rd line so... #18 had to develop into a legit and consistent top 6 forward.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krug is worth every penny. He belongs on this team, with this core group, and he's looked that way almost for the start. I think this deal is smart. It could certainly set a bar for Dougie Hamilton, as well. Chiarelli also looks like followed through which means he has added rep in contract negotiations.

Reilly Smith I am less enthusiastic about at the price. It's not like he doesn't have value at that number, though.

Krug is going to be given second pairing responsibility and minutes and I like it. Morrow should take his third pair left defense- gives Boston 3 young puck movers in the rotation. Like the plan - and if TK can succeed they will long term him- need Seids to return to what he was and based on history of his injury recovery even at age prognosis good - like the pairing

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Krug is going to be given secobd pairing and I like it. Morrow should take his third pair left defense- gives Boston 3 young puck movers in the rotation. Like the plan - and if TK can succeed they will long term him- need Seids to return to what he was and based on history of his injury recovery even at age prognosis good - like the pairing

Obviously BPA in the draft becomes a big thing when your scouts find a guy like Pasta, but I think we'd be well served to draft yet another D in the 1st round this year.

Wonder if Arnesson makes it over here by 2016 for a real shot. Seems unlikely right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

brilliant, how bout reading the posts before the commenting on the fan reaction

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Krug is going to be given second pairing responsibility and minutes and I like it. Morrow should take his third pair left defense- gives Boston 3 young puck movers in the rotation. Like the plan - and if TK can succeed they will long term him- need Seids to return to what he was and based on history of his injury recovery even at age prognosis good - like the pairing

Love to see that, having at least one of the two D men of a pairing who can turn/retrieve and distribute would be so beneficial

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
That's got nothing to do with it. You should be able to haggle with a RFA. Seems like Chia doesn't use all his negotiating tools.
Could be a bunch of things:

Maybe he still feels burned by Kessel.

Maybe he sees the comps that would line up in arbitration (both Krug and Smith could do well looking around the league).

Maybe he'd rather get it settled early and openly than build up animosity between the player and the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad