Confirmed with Link: B's Sign Krug to a One-Year Contract Extension and Smith to a Two-Year Contract Exten

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Even that doesn't have to happen. Look at what Krug accepted while he wasn't arbitration eligible this past year. He took 1.4 after a 40 point season. Chia has most of the leverage with Hamilton. Where it gets interesting is if he could convince Hamilton's agent to do 4.25 with a lot of term. That's a win for us. I doubt Hamilton's agent goes for it.

he took 1.4 because it was that or nothing, and got overpaid this year for it.

horrible example.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What are the chances Krug turns into a solid 2nd pairing dman?

I think very good in a league that is doing nothing but getting faster by the year

We need look no further at the Flames Russell as someone who`s game/stature is 'similar' to that of Krug`s albeit Russell`s offensive game isn`t what Krug`s is

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Gogo Chia!! Overpaying 3rd liners again...
I just hope they didn't get full NMCs... :sarcasm:

Wish they had given Krug a 2 year deal though. His value is just going to rise as an offensive-defenseman.

I have no idea how we are going to keep core guys if we give these kind of raises out.
He didn't want a 2 year deal. He's taken the Tuukka approach and wants to prove he's worth a longer commitment.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

horrible example.

1.4m was an overpayment for a player that finished 25th in points scored (D), putting him in the company of Seabrook, Chara, Barrie and Johnson? Come on

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

horrible example.

You got it exactly right. it was that or nothing because he could not arbitrate. Hamilton cannot arbitrate. so I don't know what you are going on about.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hate that the numbers are higher than we want but I am glad these 2 are locked up for the next year or two. If we are going to make a trade both are guys you can see going the other way so you had to get this done and both will be RFAs still after their deals.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
He didn't want a 2 year deal. He's taken the Tuukka approach and wants to prove he's worth a longer commitment.

You mean he wants to prove he's worth more money. Everybody knows by now he is worth a longer commitment. Can't believe Chia didn't lock him down for longer. If this follows the Subban example, Krug is gonna end up making $6 million per next contract lol. Chia messed up the Rask contract as well, should've locked him up for $5 mil per over 5 years instead of giving him the chance to prove himself and overpaying.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You mean he wants to prove he's worth more money. Everybody knows by now he is worth a longer commitment. Can't believe Chia didn't lock him down for longer. If this follows the Subban example, Krug is gonna end up making $6 million per next contract lol. Chia messed up the Rask contract as well, should've locked him up for $5 mil per over 5 years instead of giving him the chance to prove himself and overpaying.
You can't sign a guy for a longer term than he wants.

I would have like him to get another year and by all accounts, so did the Bruins but Krug only wanted a 1 year deal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Perhaps you've missed Torey Krug in the Bruins last two playoff years.

People are trying so hard to bash Chiarelli/these players for these contracts they are straight up inventing **** at this point.

Never showed up when it counts? Reilly smith was the only one doing anything against Montreal and Torey Krug literally burst onto the scene as the MVP of the Rangers series a couple years ago.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
You can't sign a guy for a longer term than he wants.

I would have like him to get another year and by all accounts, so did the Bruins but Krug only wanted a 1 year deal.

I realize that. But shows that Chia isn't that great at negotiating contracts. Plus all the "proving" talk is silly. Just say you want more money. I'm sure Chia will give him whatever he wants next contract. Don't get me wrong, I love that both players are signed. Just frustrated with Chia's negotiating prowess.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I realize that. But shows that Chia isn't that great at negotiating contracts. Plus all the "proving" talk is silly. Just say you want more money. I'm sure Chia will give him whatever he wants next contract. Don't get me wrong, I love that both players are signed. Just frustrated with Chia's negotiating prowess.
Again, you can't do much negotiating if Krug and his agent say they are only interested in a 1 year deal.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think very good in a league that is doing nothing but getting faster by the year

We need look no further at the Flames Russell as someone who`s game/stature is 'similar' to that of Krug`s albeit Russell`s offensive game isn`t what Krug`s is

I think so too. If Krug takes a step forward & Seidenberg somewhat improves/ recovers fully from injury, we could be looking at:

Chara Hamilton
Krug Seidenberg
Morrow Miller

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Krug and the Bruins are essentially doing the same scenario as was done with Rask. Mutually agreed upon 1 year deal to prove hes worthy, or not, as a top 4 D man and worthy on a longer term at that market value.

This article has supporting comments from both:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-extensions/5ioZpbr5aER8SLBtbe8yYJ/story.html

That is why he was comfortable going with a riskier one-year deal, rather than more term and more stability.

“I want to prove myself as a top-four guy,” Krug said. “My whole career I’ve been betting on myself, so it’s another opportunity to do that.

“I just want to expand my role. I think like any player would, they want to play more, they want to be a bigger part of the team. And that’s the reasoning behind the one year.”

As Chiarelli said, “Right now, if you just look at minutes, from the outside, you’d say he’s not a top-four guy. But he’s close.”

So what does he need to do to prove himself?

“With me, the question is defending,” Krug said. “I pride myself on how I defend and the amount I defend. I don’t defend as much as other people because I break the puck out of our zone and don’t spend a lot of time in our zone.

Highway Man

Oct 8, 2014
I think Smith settles in as a 25 goal 55-60 point LW/ RW scorer. Possibly going through sophomore slump, no training camp, overall team struggling. I like this deal, should've gone 4 years at this cap hit.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
1.4m was an overpayment for a player that finished 25th in points scored (D), putting him in the company of Seabrook, Chara, Barrie and Johnson? Come on

are you seriously trying to make an argument that Krug is on the same planet as those guys?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Well, you're right. If we're comparing him to Lucic, Smith is a bargain.

Yes, we agree.

But Smith at 3.5m compared to most offensive mid-range RW's is fair. I won't even limit myself to young guys with the kind of room for improvement Smith has (which is a big advantage and has a monetary value). Some guys here will be about as good as they're going to get at RW:

Gallagher 3.75m
David Jones 4m
Atkinson 3.5m
Hemsky 4m
Kulemin 4.1m
Read 3.62m
Brouwer 3.6m

There's a pretty clear range there bound by 3.5 on the low side and into the 4's on the high side.

Now obviously you get deals like Tatar or Hornqvist that are tremendous value. We have those too, Krug at 1.4m for what he's doing is robbery for example. But a GM is not always in a position to have all his deals be robbery. The same team that got Tatar for that sweet deal has to give Weiss almost 5m per. They also have Quincey at over 4m (yuck). While you're giving Hornqvist that sweet 4m, Scuderi is getting is getting almost 3.75m, sort of the similar hurt that Seidenberg puts on us.

The reason it's low risk is that if he devolves to a 13g 25a player for 38 points, he's at most 1m overpaid. If you feel that's his fate, Chia wasted 1m. That said he's trending more more towards 17-22 goals a year, in which case it's just market value or better.

Chia didn't win GM of the year for this the way Tatar will shake out. But he didn't blow the budget and he's got his cap figure for next year about where he wants it. My honest opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->