B's Defensemen/pairings

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
Looks like top 6 are locked:
Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Ference-McQuaid

Then you have Warsofsky, Bartkowski and Johnson battling for the 7 spot.

You also have XLB in the system. Is he still a serviceable NHL dman? Can he still bring toughness in the divisional games that are sure to be bloody?

Given Warofsky and Bartkowski are younger guys, I can see the logic in wanting them to log bigger mins in Prov.

Full disclosure, I am rooting for Johnson to have a spot and want to hear from those with insight as to how they see that playing out.

Of course, a sprint 48 game sched will mean injuries, but what do ppl think about who has the best shot at #7?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Well, maybe Hamilton and Seids (which is what I was hoping for).

We'll see what happens and if they return him to junior. I really think that people need to curb their expectations a bit. It takes defensemen some time to develop, and it's not like a Kessel/Seguin situation where you can just plug him in on a scoring line and limit his ice time in late game situations. You only dress 6 D-men and you can't afford any weak links.

I am not real enthusiastic about their depth on the blue line, and would not be surprised to see a deal before the deadline for a depth defenseman.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, maybe Hamilton and Seids (which is what I was hoping for).

We'll see what happens and if they return him to junior. I really think that people need to curb their expectations a bit. It takes defensemen some time to develop, and it's not like a Kessel/Seguin situation where you can just plug him in on a scoring line and limit his ice time in late game situations. You only dress 6 D-men and you can't afford any weak links.

I am not real enthusiastic about their depth on the blue line, and would not be surprised to see a deal before the deadline for a depth defenseman.

Yes if they return Hamilton to Junior, then I would agree there are problems, and they likely need to acquire more than just a depth deadline.

The Mike Mottau's (that type of player) of the world are always going to be available at the deadline, so they can certainly pick up someone of that ilk if needed.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Neely basically came out today and said the Bruins aren't sending him back to junior this year.

Oh really? Ok.

Still, with the rigors of playing 48 games in 99 days, you're going to have guys break down. IMO, they simply did not do enough to sure up the defensive depth. Maybe they have faith in a guy like Bartkowski to fill in for 15-20 games if needed.

I guess we'll see.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
No way DH goes back to Junior this season ... The short season gives the Bruins a perfect opportunity to break him in without the rigor of the full season schedule. And there's really nothing left for him to prove in Junior, and he's too young for Providence...

As for the 7th spot, my gut is telling me that Chiarelli makes a serious push for Redden ... Harvard loves himself some Senators, and with the history already there between Redden and Z, I'd be really surprised if the Bruins weren't interested in Redden's services.

If Redden falls through, I'd expect Johnson to be in line for the #7 spot.

In the "not a snowball's chance in hell" category, see David Warsovsky. Not yet, anyway.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
No way DH goes back to Junior this season ... The short season gives the Bruins a perfect opportunity to break him in without the rigor of the full season schedule. And there's really nothing left for him to prove in Junior, and he's too young for Providence...

As for the 7th spot, my gut is telling me that Chiarelli makes a serious push for Redden ... Harvard loves himself some Senators, and with the history already there between Redden and Z, I'd be really surprised if the Bruins weren't interested in Redden's services.

If Redden falls through, I'd expect Johnson to be in line for the #7 spot.

In the "not a snowball's chance in hell" category, see David Warsovsky. Not yet, anyway.

Disagree. I think that the abbreviated schedule is going to be even tougher than the 82 game schedule. Look at the calendar for March and April. They play every other day. 48 games in 99 days is brutal. I am very scared about a possible injury to Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, Bergeron, Krejci or Rask. Any of those guys go down and it could be game over.

Jeff L

May 28, 2012
Massachusetts
You also have XLB in the system. Is he still a serviceable NHL dman? Can he still bring toughness in the divisional games that are sure to be bloody?
If he was still able to play constantly at the NHL level, him and McQuaid would be one tough d-pairing to play against. Don't know if I see it happening but he would be a serviceable injury call-up once in a while I think.

Can't wait to see Dougie in action. Hope he does skate with Seidenberg, seems like a good starting point for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad