OT: B's Bar: Stirred - not shaken - with a twist of of sanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I am very tempted to not move for the rest of the day

Switched on the TV this morning, f***ing cable box would not switch on. Tried different plug etc, nothing. New box will be here tomorrow / Tuesday.

Go into the garage to give my bike a bit of a spring clean, the f***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek: chain came off and somehow got twisted. Bastard thing has just taken me over an hour to fix as I ended up having to take the rear gears off.

Jesus wept!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Good lad, I am just a little further north, Preston. Home of Lord Stanley. I have been to Liverpool more times than I can remember as I was a season ticket holder for LFC for 21 years.

Liverpool was such an odd city to visit because, as much as I'm into mod culture, I'm not a huge Beatles fan, so all of the Cavern Club / Beatlemania stuff fell on deaf ears with me, but I was really into all the Terrance Davies things. :laugh:

Big ups to the North of England. :cheers:

Reactions: Clare2904

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Having read a bunch about the post punk scene in Manchester lately and owing to the part of the US I'm from, I think it would be an interesting place to check out were I ever in the UK. Though from what I understand the response to that from most people familiar with the area would be "why?!?"

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Having read a bunch about the post punk scene in Manchester lately and owing to the part of the US I'm from, I think it would be an interesting place to check out were I ever in the UK. Though from what I understand the response to that from most people familiar with the area would be "why?!?"
Manchester had a big underground rave scene in the 90's and Indie scene towards the end of that decade.

It is an interesting city, people forget it is the 2nd largest in the UK and has something for everyone. Just ignore the shite football teams :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Manchester had a big underground rave scene in the 90's and Indie scene towards the end of that decade.

It is an interesting city, people forget it is the 2nd largest in the UK and has something for everyone. Just ignore the shite football teams :laugh:

Yeah I doubt I'll ever get to but it would be nice.

And yeah that was the part that interested me. "Madchester" the post-punk and early rave scene and Factory Records. I went deep down a rabbit hole on all that just last week.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was too young for the Hacienda :(

Ha... seemed like it was a fun time. Happy Mondays alone did enough drugs for the entire scene. The story about what became of their last record is the stuff of legends.

I'm sure Tony Wilson was far from perfect but a guy like me especially HAS to respect and admire his philosophy when it came to his cadre of artists. Very unique then and now.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Alan McGee and Creation are the other really interesting UK label from that period.

Also, as cool as the rough trade record shop is, all the staff there are tossers. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, how's everyone doing on the Pens art contest?

I've got a single vote.:laugh:

Some great stuff. I think I'll get on and give everyone a like since the top 5 are blowing everyone away.

Edit: For giggles I submitted my "Waiting on a friend" gif.:laugh:
Link to what you put up?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Depends on the door. Is it a slider or a regular man door? Either way, adding ant bait traps and spray to the outside will usually take care of your issue. Don't be discouraged if it takes up to a week to be fully rid of them. Just face the trap the way they travel to the door. Had this issue before. Make sure there isn't anything near the door for them to be attracted to easily. For us it was a syrup bottle that was not cleaned off after many uses.

Man door: Add a bottom rubber door seal for the draft. You may need additional foam weather stripping to close off gaps at the ends.
satin-nickel-frost-king-door-bottoms-a79sn-64_400_compressed.jpg
gray-m-d-building-products-foam-tapes-02253-64_1000.jpg

I think we need to weatherstrip it anyhow, because it looks like the contractors who renovated the apartment didn't do a great job before we moved in. (For example, the sink cracked last month and the silicon seal between the counter and the tile on the wall was never applied so I did both.) Looks like I gotta do some research to see how one says "weatherstripping" in Czech so I can order it, 'cause lord knows the landlord won't do it. :laugh:

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just got done watching a blast from the past...

@ColePens You don't know what movie or who are our character names are, do you?

"1985 - If you Remotely do, Will I'ms trying, and as an american actor playing a Korean (Grey area /not Chinese selling fortune cookie) martial arts master.

Comedy professional assassination. It's the best form of public service.

You may consider me incredible? No, I am better than that."

Remo-Williams-Adventure-Begins-Fred-Ward-Joel-Grey-1985-action-movie.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My old roommate bought his first house last night, his offer for a 2 BR condo in Southside got accepted. What kinda sucks for me though is that he's trying to rent out one of the bedrooms to someone else, but the condo has an HOA that doesn't allow pets. I told him I was willing to pay $1k to live with him (which is probably higher than what he'd get otherwise), but the no pets rule kills that.

It's so dumb that you're not allowed to have pets in a house you own. Like sure, the point of an HOA is to maintain value of the house, but that's so dumb that they can dictate having pets in the house that you own. What makes it worse is that HOA fees per month are like $200 for this place.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My old roommate bought his first house last night, his offer for a 2 BR condo in Southside got accepted. What kinda sucks for me though is that he's trying to rent out one of the bedrooms to someone else, but the condo has an HOA that doesn't allow pets. I told him I was willing to pay $1k to live with him (which is probably higher than what he'd get otherwise), but the no pets rule kills that.

It's so dumb that you're not allowed to have pets in a house you own. Like sure, the point of an HOA is to maintain value of the house, but that's so dumb that they can dictate having pets in the house that you own. What makes it worse is that HOA fees per month are like $200 for this place.
I had a buddy who couldn't put insulation in their house (for the new baby's bedroom) because they would have had to take down the siding and they couldn't get the right color paint to re-side it at the time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Without even getting into the explicitly racist background of HOAs, I can't ever fathom being an adult and being proud of being in one. :laugh: I understand tolerating them, but man, actively participating in them... well, that's a whole different thang. There is absolutely nothing cool or redeeming about them.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Without even getting into the explicitly racist background of HOAs, I can't ever fathom being an adult and being proud of being in one. :laugh: I understand tolerating them, but man, actively participating in them... well, that's a whole different thang. There is absolutely nothing cool or redeeming about them.

Buncha Karens, the lot of em.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I am fine with the HOAs that just do your landscaping, clear out snow and make sure the common areas stay clean. I don't see an issue with that. The issue I have with HOAs is when they extend their reach beyond the outside and common areas. Even ignoring the racist things these HOAs can do to not rent out to certain people, the thing that bothers me is HOAs trying to control what you do in your house. Like I own the damn house, not you :laugh:

The thing that sucks in my case is that I'm mostly interested in buying townhouses, and I'm pretty sure every townhouse I've seen is in an HOA.

I had a buddy who couldn't put insulation in their house (for the new baby's bedroom) because they would have had to take down the siding and they couldn't get the right color paint to re-side it at the time.

What exactly could an HOA do in that case? Like they can't evict you, because you own the house. I think they can fine you, but that's about it. It definitely doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad