News Article: Bryzgalov's Interview to NHL.com (for Russians)

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I translated the following from NHL.com (for Russian speaking folks).

Unfortunately, I have not had much time to edit and proofread it (damn work). So, if there is anything that's lost in transation it's my fault.

I also understand, it might lead to inflammotory discussions. Please try to enjoy it at "face value"

Not an ordinary man
Anna Batugina’s interview with Iliya Bryzgalov for the Russian version of NHL.com
4/13/2013​

AB: Flyers have been desperately fighting for a play-off spot, but not really successfully
IB: Nobody is going to give up. We will be battling till the end and will see what is going to happen.

AB: The team has lost 3 defenders and subsequently has lost 8/11 games. Was it the main reason?
IB: Injuries are not the only reason. We won 4 in a row recently without the same very players. One needs to look at the big picture on what’s going on with the team. Look at the schedule, opponents.

AB: Talking about the schedule. You must feel this intensity, since you started in 38 out 40 games.
IB: I really feel the difference. I am very tired. I felt mentally and physically empty before the game in Winnipeg. We started the game well, but made a lot of mistakes in the second period. Eventually, they cost us a game.

AB: The Flyers acquired a goalie at the trade deadline. Do you consider this as a challenge?
IB: I am not in the age to be afraid of competition. I do not meddle into these things; they are not of my concern. I have my own obligations to the club that I must honor. And I will fulfill them. As for the team composition, signing and trading players- these are general manager’s and coaching staff responsibilities.

AB: You are one of the most discussed personalities in hockey. You are always in a spot light of attention.
IB: To tell you the truth, perhaps people mistakenly think that I like this attention. I will open you a secret- I can’t stand being a center of attention. I am very domestic; most important things for me are my family and my home. I do not like being on TV or in front of cameras. I do not like crowded noisy parties. I am getting tired of crowds. I prefer a company of a few close friends, relatives in a warm home atmosphere.

AB: Last years “24/7†added enormous popularity to the team and you, particularly, for you extraordinary interviews.
IB: It seems to me that this is more interesting to people; rather than constant: “We have to prepare for a game tomorrow. It is very important to us.†They hear this every day. It’s boring. It can also be perceived as hockey players have no other interests in their lives besides hockey. But people are interested in us outside hockey as well- what kind of person you are, what interests you in life. Suppose, I am interested in the Universe, someone else may be an avid hunter. He can tell about that. Someone may be interested in building matchbox ships- anything. That is very interesting.

AB: Does your interest in philosophy help you with hockey? Goalies are considered to be loners. You have stated that you like to be alone, helps to gather your thoughts.
IB: No, not every goalie. It’s just me. I like to be alone. But a lot of people do not understand that, they want me to spend more time with the team, my partners. But I can’t force myself, I can’t fake it. I like privacy. I need my loneliness, my space to do what I like to do. I do not like when they try to make me; and afterwards tell me that I am a bad team player. No, I am not a bead team player, I do everything that I am asked on the ice; but please do not meddle with my private space. Because when one does it, it leads to conflicts. People are different. Everyone likes different things. That has to be accepted.

AB: Returning to philosophy, you authored the phrase:†in the end, hockey is just a gameâ€.
IB: Correct, It’s my philosophical approach. We went on the ice and gave everything we could at that time. Other team beat us or we won. It will not turn the world upside down. You will simply get another title if you have won; it’s also not the end of the world if you have lost. You would feel bad for a few days, you would learn from it and you would move on. Move on forward. There a lot of things in life, besides hockey losses, that need our attention. If we dwell into things that we are not willing to look into frequently- hunger, wars, destruction, diseases and then look back on a win or loss…there is really nothing to talk about.

AB: But hockey is not really an entertainment for the players
IB: Of course not! It is hard physical labor. But it’s nothing comparing to my experience on the auto manufacturing plant.

AB: Can you share any details?
IB: I had my vocational training there. For almost nothing. I made $15 in 2 weeks. Every day I would come home and lay down, but my body would continue working. I would see an assembly line with my eyes closed. You work on it for an entire day performing some operations, and then lying in bed at night, you would continue working in your mind. And people work like that for their entire lives. It is the hardest labor, and they have to survive it. We also work hard, but we make good living off of it. We like our job, but sometimes we hate it because you get tired and completely drained.

AB: Let’s change the topic. Many people are interested in the story of your “Star Wars†helmet. How did you come up with this idea?
IB: I will tell you. I have had only one helmet and I needed a spare one. I asked the painter: “Could you please come up with something, please? I do not have any time or any ideas. Please offer me yours.†He had offered me several ideas, and I liked that one. Especially, since my son Vlad is a big fan of “Star Warsâ€. I also like anything space related. Also we have had some wars on ice between teams.

AB: You also have a lot of stars on the ice…
IB: Exactly! (laughs)

AB: What book are you reading now?
IB: I am re-reading “Idiot†by Dostoyevsky

AB: So you are a fan of classic literature
IB: Yes, I enjoy it a lot.

AB: What about movies?
IB: I watched a show about Russian civil war recently. Both sides had had their ideals and visions, but it’s terrifying how many lives were lost.

ArmchairGM

Jul 5, 2007
I hate the player, but I can't help but love the guy. I want to see his reading list

TheBryzKnees

Jun 29, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting person. I would absolutely love it if he responded to the rabble here. I wonder if he reads our resident Philosophers, such as HockeyBUM8, BeefStick, and the like. Their concise and erudite renderings of his profession must be truly enlightening. The sheer range of philosophical reasoning regarding the Flyers is incredible: from union lunch pail realism, 21rst century statistical analytics of new data driven professionals, the paranoid Radical Skepticism—a symptom of natives of the Delaware Valley— we are Hockey's most philosophical bunch. Throw away your Bakunin and Wittgenstein Mr. Bryzgalov. Grovel with us and our opinions and philosophies, our content sites and adverts.:baghead:
Shame it didn't work out. Wish him all the best

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was surprised to that NHL.com is offering different content for different languages.

I wonder if they have interviews with Finns, Swedes etc as well.

They probably do it to still keep a foot print in Russia and it's surrounding areas. It probably doesn't make a big difference but it still keeps people from those areas interested in the NHL. The KHL is still their biggest competitor even though the product is still heavily favored in the NHL's favor.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Good insight ..thanks.

Interesting comments about him wanting to be private and a loner of sorts and how it is construed by the team and others as being a bad teammate.

Now we know from his interpretation why supposedly people like Tocchet have said he's a bad teammate...

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Good insight ..thanks.

Interesting comments about him wanting to be private and a loner of sorts and how it is construed by the team and others as being a bad teammate.

Now we know from his interpretation why supposedly people like Tocchet have said he's a bad teammate...

Or it could be something else that has nothing to do with him not wanting to be around the team much. Goalies are almost always a breed of their own and I'm sure the players have known many quirky goalies since they've played hockey for years.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Good insight ..thanks.

This is what I thought... I had thought maybe he was construed as a bad teammate because he was a loner.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
I see Ilya often, when he shops where I work. I fillet fish at a high end food market, and Ilya and his kids are always delighted to see the different varieties of fish. Ilya loves red snapper and halibut, and he always asked where it was caught, and how it was caught. He is very concerned about the environment. Whenever anyone recognizes him and begins to question him about hockey his face changes. He goes from being fascinated about fish, to a frowning dull look...or he'll put a finger to his mouth and say, "I don't want to talk about me/ I am shopping with my family".
I like him very much as a person, I also think he'd rather be back in Russia.
Maybe the Flyers will amnesty him. It'll be good for Ilya, and probably be good for the Flyers as well.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I see Ilya often, when he shops where I work. I fillet fish at a high end food market, and Ilya and his kids are always delighted to see the different varieties of fish. Ilya loves red snapper and halibut, and he always asked where it was caught, and how it was caught. He is very concerned about the environment. Whenever anyone recognizes him and begins to question him about hockey his face changes. He goes from being fascinated about fish, to a frowning dull look...or he'll put a finger to his mouth and say, "I don't want to talk about me/ I am shopping with my family".
I like him very much as a person, I also think he'd rather be back in Russia.
Maybe the Flyers will amnesty him. It'll be good for Ilya, and probably be good for the Flyers as well.

This is actually a bit disheartening and disconcerting.....he doesn't seem happy or overly motivated here for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad