Signing(s): Bryce Harper to Phillies (13 years/330 M)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How is it tampering, again?

I mean we could all just play make-believe and insist that players never discuss these things with eachother while still under contract, and that Harper is "breaking the mold" here. But that's not true.

I figured it's only really tampering if Phillies management came out and declared their intention to chase Trout when he's a free agent.

It's not as though Harper can sign him, so what's the problem? :dunno:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It's tampering because these two are best friends and I suspect sometimes even part-time lovers.

harpertroutthumb.jpg

Oct 18, 2011

I mean we could all just play make-believe and insist that players never discuss these things with eachother while still under contract, and that Harper is "breaking the mold" here. But that's not true.

I figured it's only really tampering if Phillies management came out and declared their intention to chase Trout when he's a free agent.

Based upon mlb rules it's tampering but honestly I don't think this shit impresses Trout. He seems uncomfortable with any attention that isn't about baseball i actually don't think he'd like playing in Philly infact I'd be surprised if he's ever a free agent

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Based upon mlb rules it's tampering but honestly I don't think this **** impresses Trout. He seems uncomfortable with any attention that isn't about baseball i actually don't think he'd like playing in Philly infact I'd be surprised if he's ever a free agent
I actually wouldn’t be surprised at all if Trout and Harper talked about teaming up in Philadelphia before Harper chose to sign there. I fully expect Trout to sign with the Phillies when he hits free agency.

Reactions: montreal

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah, Scott...you're magic :rolleyes:

It's clear Boras has taken a bath in the most expensive champagne the night of the signing. That man is responsible for most of those ridiculous contracts teams end up regretting sooner rather than later. Boras doesn't give a ****, Harper doesn't give a ****, they get paid and the sport gets a little sicker each year. Oh! And the fans end up footing the bill for those contracts... But record jersey sales and most likely those jerseys didn't sell for cheap. Oh well...

Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

It's tampering in the sense that it could undermine what the Angels management is trying to do currently wrt extension talks. The Angels have made it no secret that they want to keep Trout, and he's under contract for the next 2 years.

Every player does this. The only real issue is that Harper went public NBA-style, and I don't think the sport wants players to openly build super teams like that league does.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's tampering in the sense that it could undermine what the Angels management is trying to do currently wrt extension talks. The Angels have made it no secret that they want to keep Trout, and he's under contract for the next 2 years.

Every player does this. The only real issue is that Harper went public NBA-style, and I don't think the sport wants players to openly build super teams like that league does.

Fair enough.

Hey, if this is what it takes for the Angels to try and build a successful team around Trout so that he's not "wasting away" on a non-contender, I'm all for it. Reminds me of watching Halladay pitch in Toronto, knowing full well he'd never sniff the playoffs there after years of incompetent management by the Jays.

Funny how he ended up in Philly too, though. :laugh:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Fair enough.

Hey, if this is what it takes for the Angels to try and build a successful team around Trout so that he's not "wasting away" on a non-contender, I'm all for it. Reminds me of watching Halladay pitch in Toronto, knowing full well he'd never sniff the playoffs there after years of incompetent management by the Jays.

Funny how he ended up in Philly too, though. :laugh:
The sad part is, the Angels have tried. They're one of the top-5 to 10 payrolls every year. Their issue is their owner had too much influence on decision making with an already suspect gm at the time (Dipoto). Now they're stuck with the rotting corpse of Pujols wasting a good 20% of their payroll to put up an ops+ of 80.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

It's a hell of a lot easier to build a super team in the NBA than any other sport.

Reactions: Voight

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i really feel for trout here because he's the innocent guy in all this. he's just minding his own business watching the weather channel and all of a sudden a bunch of people start paying attention to him and asking him when he's going to philly.

that's the part i don't like. i know it's bordering on hot take alert but i don't really like stuff like this. i know it goes on between players and all that but all it does is make the next two years less about how amazing mike trout is or what other moves the phillies made this offseason and turns it more into "when" trout goes there and has him answering the same questions he's not allowed to answer for the same period of time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
i really feel for trout here because he's the innocent guy in all this. he's just minding his own business watching the weather channel and all of a sudden a bunch of people start paying attention to him and asking him when he's going to philly.

that's the part i don't like. i know it's bordering on hot take alert but i don't really like stuff like this. i know it goes on between players and all that but all it does is make the next two years less about how amazing mike trout is or what other moves the phillies made this offseason and turns it more into "when" trout goes there and has him answering the same questions he's not allowed to answer for the same period of time.
That's really the degradation of sports coverage to me. Too many tmz-style shows and columns that just speculate and don't actually cover what is going on in the sport.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
same.

i usually like olney's podcast but it's basically half that anymore, down to which pitcher all-time you'd want facing aliens for the fate of the universe, space jam style, and he picks f***ing madison bumgarner. foh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad