Bryce Harper or Aaron Judge

Bryce Harper or Aaron Judge

• Harper

• Judge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ignoring contracts, which Right Fielder would you rather have for the next 5-10 years.

Had an interesting debate with someone over this. There's obviously arguments for both players. Harper has 7 years body work vs 2 for Judge, while being half a year younger.

Outside of Harper's 2015 season, you could argue Judge's 2 seasons are better than any of Harper's other season. The advanced metrics like Judge more since he came into the league but most of that is due to defense, and imo defensive analytics are pretty wonky.

I still feel like Harper has more upside and a higher ceiling. As a Yankee fan I wouldn't trade Judge for Harper (even ignoring contracts) but if I feel like if I was building a team from scratch I'd take Bryce.

What do you think?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'd take Harper simply because he's been elite since he was a teen. He has that superstar type of performance/attrition that is rare.

If we're basing it simply on the last 2 years, I'm taking Judge without a doubt.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd take Harper simply because he's been elite since he was a teen. He has that superstar type of performance/attrition that is rare.

If we're basing it simply on the last 2 years, I'm taking Judge without a doubt.

Harper has been a 3 or 4 win player his entire career except for his peak MVP season. Judge was worth 8 fWAR his rookie year, and then 5 his sophomore season (missing 1/3 of the season).

Harpers been hyped up as elite since he was a teen and garnered a ton of hype leading up to his draft + debut, is also the most marketable player but in terms of what was projected/expected and what we got, its been iffy.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Red Sox fan saying Judge, easily.

kills me that the Yankees have an elite slugger/player for the next 15+ years...but the years of Judge vs Mookie will be entertaining

Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Harper has been a 3 or 4 win player his entire career except for his peak MVP season. Judge was worth 8 fWAR his rookie year, and then 5 his sophomore season (missing 1/3 of the season).

Harpers been hyped up as elite since he was a teen and garnered a ton of hype leading up to his draft + debut, is also the most marketable player but in terms of what was projected/expected and what we got, its been iffy.
Harper has superstar build and attrition meaning he was mlb ready from 18 and likely will be until he's around 40. Judge didn't get a full time shot until he was 25.

I would take Judge over the next handful of years, easily. But I believe Harper has the better chance to age gracefully. If that makes sense.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Red Sox fan saying Judge, easily.

kills me that the Yankees have an elite slugger/player for the next 15+ years...but the years of Judge vs Mookie will be entertaining

It's Judge, but lets not act like he's going to be anything special in mid/late 30s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Harper has superstar build and attrition meaning he was mlb ready from 18 and likely will be until he's around 40. Judge didn't get a full time shot until he was 25.

I would take Judge over the next handful of years, easily. But I believe Harper has the better chance to age gracefully. If that makes sense.

Thats a fair point -- he was trained to be a professional baseball player from a young age so there is a very good chance his body will last longer.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thats a fair point -- he was trained to be a professional baseball player from a young age so there is a very good chance his body will last longer.
Yep. He was prepared for it while Judge literally came out of nowhere. There ain't shit in Linden California.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Judge. Offensively it’s a wash, and he isn’t a detriment to his team defensively.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Judge's big body will wear down once he crosses 30 and he will likely be a 1st baseball or DH soon as he's already had a few injuries that will affect him in the future. Offensively they are probably gonna be close except for home runs but Harper will have a better, longer career and he's left handed so in his final years he could still be valuable off the bench.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Judge's big body will wear down once he crosses 30 and he will likely be a 1st baseball or DH soon as he's already had a few injuries that will affect him in the future. Offensively they are probably gonna be close except for home runs but Harper will have a better, longer career and he's left handed so in his final years he could still be valuable off the bench.

Except the fact Judge's injury was just a broken wrist and he's already back hitting with harder balls hit and HRs than he did at the tail end of last year in spring training when he could be taking it easy.

Harper isn't the hitter Judge is, doesn't get the always 3-2 counts and his fielding is suspect vs Aaron Judge. I'd reckon Harper is a better 1B candidate at any point in the next 13 years than Judge is. Also with the rise of the slider in MLB and more RHP vs. a left handed hitter in Harper is going to have a hard time getting his bat ahead of that. Harper 14% vs. Judge at 23%.

2019 projections already have him statistically in the field of Ji-Man Choi and Josh Donaldson. Aaron Judge is #2 on FanGraphs behind Mookie Betts. Harper is in the 50-60 range.

It's not close. We will see what happens but to compare him to one of the best players in baseball is delusional. Reminds me of the Auston Matthews vs. Connor McDavid thing.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I think Aaron Judge is my first overall pick in baseball. Everything about him is top notch and just getting started.

Agreed. Well I'd have to take Mike Trout ahead of him but in the realm of the rest of the mortals, Judge all the way, guy has Cooperstown written all over him and it's just begun.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Agreed. Well I'd have to take Mike Trout ahead of him but in the realm of the rest of the mortals, Judge all the way, guy has Cooperstown written all over him and it's just begun.

Late start to his career. He’ll have to keep up his elite play for a long time in order to get to Cooperstown.

I mean any player needs to keep up their elite play in order to get in but Judge doesn’t have the luxury of time when it comes to down years or not being productive late in his career

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I agree with the 81.3%. In the 3 years Judge has been in the league, Aaron easily. Harper has a 3 year bWar of 7.5, Judge has a 13.2, and Machado is 10th with a 16.1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad