Bryan Trottier vs Doug Gilmour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Both regarded as great players.

In this poll only one can be better. Who is it?
Doug Gilmour or Bryan Trottier?

723784155.jpg

4175-89THNBT.jpg

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This isn't going to be fair to Gilmour. It's Trottier for sure. He would be a top 30 player of all time and that's being a little liberal about it too. He won 6 Cups, was a huge part in 4 of them and won the Hart Trophy. Not to mention he has two first team all-stars and two second team all-stars while Gilmour has none.

Oh and he's a HHOFer while Gilmour is not, although like many of us I believe Gilmour is a notable omission in the Hall.

But let's break it down. Trottier wins on offense, defense, goal scoring, championships, physical play and leadership. Gilmour I would say was the better playmaker. Not bad, but Trottier gets compared to other centers like Clarke, Yzerman and Sakic. Gilmour is more along the lines of Oates.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
As great as Gilmour's time in Toronto was and his overall career, I can't imagine this is going to be close.

When you mention Trottier, your mentioning Yzerman/Sakic version 1.0, the #19.

Trottier was such a great player and is slightly under rated/under appreciated.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
As great as Gilmour's time in Toronto was and his overall career, I can't imagine this is going to be close.

Trottier was such a great player and is slightly under rated/under appreciated.

Bingo.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

trottier had a physical element to his game that yzerman and sakic could never dream of. they were all about the same size, but when you watched him play, it seemed like trottier was a much bigger man. people were afraid of trottier on the ice. the same can't be said of the other two #19s.

trottier is actually more like a very very rich man's gilmour, in that he was demonstrably better at everything gilmour was great at, plus he was bigger and stronger.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Is this even close? Trottier is in my top 15 players ever and IMO the best two way forward I've ever seen.

I'm not sure if Gilmour is in my top 100 even though he was a great player.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I'm going with Bryan Trottier. Trottier was one of the most complete players ever and is a top 30 player in hockey history. Even though I like Doug Gilmour I feel he gets kinda overrated at times. Gilmour in my mind is a top 100 player of all-time but no Trottier. He probably belongs in the 80-100 range

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
the obvious answer is Trottier.

growing up i never liked the Isles & have always been a Leafs fan but i have to give credit where credit is due.Trottier was a great player who was fortunate to play with many great players.

maybe next year Gilmour will get his name called the HHOF. :nod:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't like voting against Gilmour in any circumstance. But come on... Trottier? Of course Trottier is better. Gilmour's my favourite all-time player, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad