Confirmed with Link: Bryan Rust proves user Peat wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
5 points in 24 games isn't good either. Sure bad is an overstatement, but he certainly wasn't earning his paycheck for a good chunk of last season. He also ended the season with 4 points in his last 17 games including playoffs, ending on a 9 game pointless streak.

And come on about the PP. He has 6 career powerplay points.

I love Rust, but calling him streaky isn't some crazy opinion. Though just quickly glancing at his game logs, last year was far and away the most egregious in that regard.

That was supposed to say PK lol.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am actually curious about what Rust could do for our PP now though. Prior to this season, he had a decent production rate there iirc - small sample, so who knows, but interesting - but with him shooting like this and his speed offering a good zone entry option for when we struggle, maybe there's a long term option there.

TIL that I'm at least an honorary Brit.

That's what I thought. It never seemed like he got much regular time there but when he did it was some really, really good hockey being played between those two. Looking like yet another reason why Kessel moving on was for the best. You get the EXACT right LW there (Guentzel could be it but I'm reluctant to take him from Crosby) and you could really be looking at as dominant a top six as we've seen in quite some time, here.

I'm kinda curious as to what the right LW for Malkin-Rust looks like. High IQ is important I think, because Rust won't be making many plays himself, but do we need another speedster? Some physicality like Kunitz brought? Another finisher? Someone who just brings elements of all of them?

Also, commiserations ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess it’s the Bonino argument again. I don’t really consider a player that puts up a regular 40 pt pace “streaky”. If they were any more consistent they’d be a 6+ million player.
He had 7 in the first 29 last year, 14 in the next 13, then 10 in the next 20, then 4 in 17. Last year was very streaky. I know anybody who scores in that ballpark will be streaky, but last year was definitely excessive. They wouldn't need to score any more to be more consistent. His other seasons had pretty much the same production, but with less highs and lows. Hell, time it right and being streaky like this could be great for us.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am actually curious about what Rust could do for our PP now though. Prior to this season, he had a decent production rate there iirc - small sample, so who knows, but interesting - but with him shooting like this and his speed offering a good zone entry option for when we struggle, maybe there's a long term option there.

I'm kinda curious as to what the right LW for Malkin-Rust looks like. High IQ is important I think, because Rust won't be making many plays himself, but do we need another speedster? Some physicality like Kunitz brought? Another finisher? Someone who just brings elements of all of them?

Also, commiserations ;)
I think Bennett - Malkin - Rust it we can somehow pull it might be incredible. That being said not really sure why we pull Jake from there regardless of Sid if it clicks that way for the next few weeks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The middle of the year he was a top six forward. On the book ends he was part of Sully’s line jumble.
but he lost his top 6 forward spot because his production cooled off. I'm not trying to badmouth him, but it's how I think he's been so far in his career. Like you said, it's why he's not a 6 million dollar player. But you also don't see very many full time top 6 wings making 4 mil.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Am I allowed to make one of these about Letang and @ half the board? Letang injured again, missed 1/3rd of season. He injured Malkin when he look motivated and on pace for career year. Haven't won a Cup since he wasn't playing.

No , because Letang has been a top 3 Dman in the world since last year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
but he lost his top 6 forward spot because his production cooled off. I'm not trying to badmouth him, but it's how I think he's been so far in his career. Like you said, it's why he's not a 6 million dollar player. But you also don't see very many full time top 6 wings making 4 mil.

He lost his top six spot because he got injured no?

Just a quick glance looks like he had a 4 and 3 game stretch where he was pointless following his bad start then he was injured.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He lost his top six spot because he got injured no?
not sure how to figure that out exactly, but his ice time had dropped from 18-19 minutes a game to 16-17 the few games before his injury.

Either way, I like Rust and honestly don't care enough to argue much more about if he's streaky or not :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
not sure how to figure that out exactly, but his ice time had dropped from 18-19 minutes a game to 16-17 the few games before his injury.

I guess the criticism of Rust last year just reminds me of Horny. People are way too quick to use a short sample size against him.

He basically put up above .5 ppg pace every month last year besides April and October and November:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Also, commiserations ;)

I think there are actually at least a few things that would work. I like the idea of a physical element there with some OK hands and wheels that can help Geno and Rust freewheel a bit more... take some pressure and physical burden off of both. Win battles on the boards but have the wherewithal to make some nice chips or area passes to his linemates to help quickly move the puck the other way or if in the O-zone, quickly funnel the puck towards the net. Sort of like a Hagelin but not as speedy and more physical with the potential to knock in 20ish goals, most of the greasy variety. This would basically put the impetus on Malkin and Rust to be the offensive catalysts for that line which I think would PROBABLY be fine.

The other thing I'd be tempted to try is just flank Geno with two straight burners. Just kill the other team with speed and intensity. Run them into the ground, step on their necks and don't give them a millimeter of space out there. Teams would be turning pucks over left and right, I think. And when you have dialed-in, predatory mode Malkin out there... that could yield some pretty nice results. This concept is much more straightforward and potentially simpler to accomplish than the above. And in fact is basically the same idea as they used for a game or two with Rust/McCann. But I feel like McCann is just too valuable in his own right on this roster elsewhere so that's why I'd go shopping if I were JR for this option, too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think there are actually at least a few things that would work. I like the idea of a physical element there with some OK hands and wheels that can help Geno and Rust freewheel a bit more... take some pressure and physical burden off of both. Win battles on the boards but have the wherewithal to make some nice chips or area passes to his linemates to help quickly move the puck the other way or if in the O-zone, quickly funnel the puck towards the net. Sort of like a Hagelin but not as speedy and more physical with the potential to knock in 20ish goals, most of the greasy variety. This would basically put the impetus on Malkin and Rust to be the offensive catalysts for that line which I think would PROBABLY be fine.

The other thing I'd be tempted to try is just flank Geno with two straight burners. Just kill the other team with speed and intensity. Run them into the ground, step on their necks and don't give them a millimeter of space out there. Teams would be turning pucks over left and right, I think. And when you have dialed-in, predatory mode Malkin out there... that could yield some pretty nice results. This concept is much more straightforward and potentially simpler to accomplish than the above. And in fact is basically the same idea as they used for a game or two with Rust/McCann. But I feel like McCann is just too valuable in his own right on this roster elsewhere so that's why I'd go shopping if I were JR for this option, too.

To me, this sounds like a pitch for Tanev. Both of them. Maybe not quite high IQ enough but...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To me, this sounds like a pitch for Tanev. Both of them. Maybe not quite high IQ enough but...

I don't hate that idea and in fact have been curious as to when they are going to give him a shake at a top line but honestly I think you are correct that he just can't QUITE think the game on that level and doesn't really have the toolbox, either. That isn't an admonishment. If he did JR would have probably paid him 7 instead of half that. I also like what he does lower in the lineup. His presence alone helps make a depth line legit.

But yes that is along the general lines I was thinking.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Also, commiserations ;)

what’s wrong with Jake? Think he’s looked good...when Sid returns, go McCann/Kahun-Sid-Simon/Horny...what’s the problem?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is actually not true.

People are criticizing last year when he had just signed his first big contract and was forced to attempt to carry Brassard or Sheahan regularly.

The two years prior he was at a 40+ point pace.

There are few things truer than the claim that Rust's production runs hot and cold and he's generally around .5 p/g annually.

I can do a breakdown if you like.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If two players have 6 points in 10 games and one had 6 in 3 of 10 and one had 6 in 10 is one streaky?

I dont see what that has to do with anything. We're talking about Rust, who's in the middle of a 13 points in 12 games hot streak. My only claim is that water's likely gonna find its level here rather than Rust having some sort of elite breakthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->