Bryan Murray's Draft Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If a player that is drafted sucks then Murray takes the blame but if a player turns out to be a superstar then his Dorion and Murray are the heroes?

He hired them, he takes pieces of blame for everything that happens in hockey operations. After that, it's complicated determining how much blame credit any gm takes. So many variables...at the end of the day he hires everyone in hockey ops. Even if he has Tim doing a lot of the running around

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He's referring to a situation that falls in that big grey area of evaluating GMs. He didn't hire the hockey ops staff and had minimal time to communicate with them. Besides Jim orien is becoming a good player and murray should take no credit. Just like he'd take no blame. Or maybe minimal credit/blame.

Murray and his staff do deserve credit, they have developed him into a very serviceable NHL player.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Murray and his staff do deserve credit, they have developed him into a very serviceable NHL player.

Sure, the people put in place for player development were murray hires. And it's good to point it out because although very intertwined, good development in orgs is underappreciated. Find the players with things you can't teach and teach them the things you can.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Another thread fun to bump

How many times will I bump this thread lol?

What is really funny now is that A LOT of the whiners were doing what they do best (not in that thread but in that period of time), whining. One of the biggest whine was about the money thrown at Kovalev and Gonchar, for example. Another big whinny thing was that the team was "too old"

A few years later, we don't spend as near to the cap plus the team is very young and those people still whine, but for the exact opposite :laugh:

You know what it means "care what you wish for?". Karma serves crow in a beautiful way

The thing is that whining is a natural need for some people, to sort of like keeping some kind of sanity

Anyway, a few funny quotes :

- Carkner’s cap hit? Yes, some people found a way to whine at Murray for signing Carkner for a freaking 0.7 cap hit! Lol, Carkner is a top-3 fighter in the NHL and can hold a regular spot on a 3rd pairing.

- Fisher’s cap hit? Maybe Fisher was slightly overpaid but again if people think a consistent 20 goals/45 points scorer in the NHL who is among leaders in hits every year isn’t worth 4.0, they are the one mistaken. It’s easy to say “this guy is overpaidâ€, but you have to be able to understand what a market is.

David Poile, one of Fuhr (who has about the same opinion as you do on the subject) favorite GMs, just gave up a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for Mike Fisher and his overpaid grinder contract (for 2 more years)... Does it make Poile a bad GM now too? :laugh:

What if we didn’t sign Kovalev and Gonchar? Cap space is fun but only for Melnyk. In hindsight, Murray should have probably signed other UFAs but what difference would it make in the end? Not much. Problems are still coach, goaltending, injuries/health, players declining, no quality prospects to relieve the pressure from them. Just ask Aflie

PS 2 : I didn't say our young nucleus is better than other teams. I just listed it in a comparison mode vs the Oilers. No one can really say which nucleus is better, it is way too subjective. You saying that you would take Panthers, Islanders and Oilers nucleus shows that maybe you don't know as much as you seem to think

Oh... the delicious irony (highlighted)

Also, the Carkner extension is probably the most laughable of all threads. And I also like that some people would have taken Oilers, Panthers and Islanders nucleus over the Sens one in a heart beat (3 years ago)

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I don't get the point of bumping this X, so I'm going to lock it. Perhaps another mod will overrule or you can make your case via pm. Until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->