2008 Ottawa

15 1 Erik Karlsson D
42 2 Patrick Wiercioch D
79 3 Zack Smith C
109 4 Andre Petersson W
119 4 Derek Grant C
139 5 Mark Borowiecki D
199 7 Emil Sandin L

This draft may stand out to be one for the ages. Karlsson and Smith are already key cogs on our team. Wiercioch is looking like he is going to stick in the NHL. Petersson, Grant and Borowiecki all look like they could land long term NHL gigs in the future, even if they arn't stars.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He does have a really good draft record. Karlsson, Getzlaf and Perry should be superstars in this league for the next decade. During his time with Detroit he got Primeau, Lapointe, Kozlov and Osgood (All good players). His draft record in Florida is not as good but his draft record with the other 3 teams makes up for it.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Something that's rarely pointed out is how little Bryan has to do with the draft process. Guys like Dorion and Tim Murray are the heroes here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Something that's rarely pointed out is how little Bryan has to do with the draft process. Guys like Dorion and Tim Murray are the heroes here.

Exactly it's the scouting department which those guys should get all of the credit for it.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Something that is ignored, Murray has put good people in place, let's them do their jobs, listens to them, then makes his decisions.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Something that is ignored, Murray has put good people in place, let's them do their jobs, listens to them, then makes his decisions.

Lest we forget that everyone in that draft room told Muckler to take Marc Staal but Muckler felt he was the smartest man in the room and HAD to take Brian Lee. I can't find the Citizen article that had guys in the war room interviewed after Mucks was fired. But I recall that Muckler vetoed them all.

So yeah, B Murdah has done his job in that he listens to his scouts.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Murray has said before that he usually has seen all of the 1st round prospects and he does have a say in who we select in round 1.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Murray has said before that he usually has seen all of the 1st round prospects and he does have a say in who we select in round 1.

Of course he did, he's the GM. Point was that he's not the key guy here.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Big whoop. He still has alot less to do with the draft than Dorion and his crew. They are the ones who deserve the credit.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007

While this may be true... I highly doubt he would go against the advice of Tim/Pierre in selecting the right guy. You hire scouts for a reason.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He does have a really good draft record. Karlsson, Getzlaf and Perry should be superstars in this league for the next decade. During his time with Detroit he got Primeau, Lapointe, Kozlov and Osgood (All good players). His draft record in Florida is not as good but his draft record with the other 3 teams makes up for it.

Holmstrom too, he is actually integral for that dynasty. Primeau got them Shanhan.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Without knowing who was drafted after his selections that turned out to be better players, it is IMPOSSIBLE to judge his drafting ability.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

If a player that is drafted sucks then Murray takes the blame but if a player turns out to be a superstar then his Dorion and Murray are the heroes?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Of course, but the same could be said in all the other process. The thing is that reality is a different beast compared to the Armchair GMing that we see on message boards like this one.

The main task of a general manager is to manage people, duh.

If a player that is drafted sucks then Murray takes the blame but if a player turns out to be a superstar then his Dorion and Murray are the heroes?

I've seen that many many times around here. He gets blamed for trades and signings too but he is far from being the only one involved in the process.

Murray is the Executive Vice-President, General Manager and Alternate Governor. For more details :

http://senators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=49314

He's no scout. He's part of the executive management of the actual Ottawa Senators franchise, with Melnyk, Leeder and Crowe.

He pulls triggers on stuff his staff advise him to do. He makes the final decisions but he doesn't go into all the process like lower staff do (ex : scout). He takes part of it but he is only 1 person, he can't be everywhere at the same time

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
While this may be true... I highly doubt he would go against the advice of Tim/Pierre in selecting the right guy. You hire scouts for a reason.

Indeed. Randy Lee told a great story about the 2008 draft on the Team 1200 about how Murray wanted to draft, in his words, a "big Canadian kid" but Pierre Dorion and Anders Forsberg managed to talk him out of it.

Pretty interesting to think about.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Indeed. Randy Lee told a great story about the 2008 draft on the Team 1200 about how Murray wanted to draft, in his words, a "big Canadian kid" but Pierre Dorion and Anders Forsberg managed to talk him out of it.

That's the way it should be. No confident leader surrounds himself with yes men. You want people who will challenge your thought process and decision making.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Brian Murray just loves to show off his analytical genius.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008

I would not blame Murray Sr. for any draft shortcomings unless I knew he overruled Tim's or Pierre's opinions, no. But I suppose we can simplify it by accounting the Sens every move to being Bryan's via him being the chief executive officer when it comes to hockey (hopefully, am I right 2010 free agency?).

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Yeah, because once he's gone he'll be remembered as the guy who ran the once great Ottawa Senators into the ground and the only thing he did right was draft Erik Karlsson

Ya, it had nothing to do with national scouting list!:laugh: If Karlsson panned out he's a genius, if not, just another one of his flops!

Murray's a Dinosaur like Burke, too bad we didn't keep Chiarelli as our GM!

John Holmes*

I would not blame Murray Sr. for any draft shortcomings unless I knew he overruled Tim's or Pierre's opinions, no. But I suppose we can simplify it by accounting the Sens every move to being Bryan's via him being the chief executive officer when it comes to hockey (hopefully, am I right 2010 free agency?).

Except 2007 ;)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Of course he did, he's the GM. Point was that he's not the key guy here.

Murray is the key guy, he is ultimately responsible for all the hockey decisions made, he always has the final say.

Of course that doesn't prevent the owner from having his say and dictating direction from time to time, yet the fans will hold Murray accountable for those as well.

It is disingenuous to blame him for decisions that haven't worked out as well as hoped and give credit to his staff for all the things that have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad