Bryan Murray Appreciation Thread

kyle747

May 10, 2005
He's selling off assets for picks, it doesn't take a genius to pull off these trades. Why do I feel sometimes HF is some bizarro world where trading quality players for potential is doing a good job, and bringing a team from Alpha Bull to Dumpster Baby status is applauded?

Worst team in the NHL, you go Murray! You guys think he will be nominated for GM of the year this season? He deserves it!

This

Arguably Melnyk is the one commanding Murray to make all these recent trades.

So when something goes wrong - like taking a team who made it to the SCF one year to last place is Muckler's fault. and making bonehead signings is Melnyks fault.

Murray is made of Teflon.

Originally Posted by miser View Post
Don't know about Gonchar, but Melnyk has said that Kovalev was on him.
Where and when was this said?

Never.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think Murray's done a great job but then again, I'm not one of the morons bashing him for everything he does.

He has said several times he might retire in the offseason so we'll see. It's probably time for a new guy to step in.

Leachman

May 13, 2007
So when something goes wrong - like taking a team who made it to the SCF one year to last place is Muckler's fault.

You say this like the team had the same potential as the 06-07 team and that the past, present and future of that team was all roses.

Just shows your lack of understanding.

Freerider

Sep 18, 2009
When the team's good, its because of the players.

When the teams bad its the coach and Gm's fault.

Haters will be haters.......some more than others.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Not many GMs would have the balls to do what he is doing right now. At the least, you have to respect that. If Burke had gone down this path when he arrived in Toronto they would be in such a better position now.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
He's selling off assets for picks, it doesn't take a genius to pull off these trades. Why do I feel sometimes HF is some bizarro world where trading quality players for potential is doing a good job, and bringing a team from Alpha Bull to Dumpster Baby status is applauded?

Worst team in the NHL, you go Murray! You guys think he will be nominated for GM of the year this season? He deserves it!

The cap NHL rewards teams who can fill holes with prospects on cheap contracts.

1) Murray inherited a team with no prospects worth a damn, and had to fill holes via UFA
2) Predictably, it failed, but it still had to be tried. If this team was tore down in 2007, people would have rioted.
3) We are now acquiring picks, and when a new GM takes over and this team takes off, they will be commended as a genius (see: Muckler taking over for Johnston)
4) People complained when he filled holes via UFA, and now those same people are complaining that he is tearing it down.

Thats about all I have to say on Murray. He has been far from perfect, but he didnt have much to work with. He has made some big mistakes, but every GM in the league has. His biggest mistakes have been gambles that everyone loved (Leclaire, Gonchar), and I would say that one of them (Gonchar) can still pay off. I personally dont care much if he is back or not.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I'd give him an 'A' for the last 3 weeks. All moves I agree with for the most part. Too bad he hasn't been the GM for just the past month.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
Not many GMs would have the balls to do what he is doing right now. At the least, you have to respect that. If Burke had gone down this path when he arrived in Toronto they would be in such a better position now.

he did, now that Kaberle is gone, not a single player remains on the TO roster from when he took over. His pieces just weren't nearly as good, and NTC/NMC clauses for a number of them made it more difficult.

He removed the right players, but didn't do well after that. It's still be seen if we do well after removing our players.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
You say this like the team had the same potential as the 06-07 team and that the past, present and future of that team was all roses.

Just shows your lack of understanding.

Your right. Only you understand it :laugh:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I guess people love crapping on his moves huh?

This year if you were to look at the sum of his moves:

Fisher
Kelly
Ruutu
Elliott

For:

Nashville 1st (2011)
Conditional Nashville 2nd/3rd (2012)
Boston 2nd (2011)
Anaheim 6th (2011)
Craig Anderson (UFA)

What an awful return! /Sarcasm

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I guess people love crapping on his moves huh?

This year if you were to look at the sum of his moves:

Fisher
Kelly
Ruutu
Elliott

For:

Nashville 1st (2011)
Conditional Nashville 2nd/3rd (2012)
Boston 2nd (2011)
Anaheim 6th (2011)
Craig Anderson (UFA)

What an awful return! /Sarcasm

Well considering Burke got all of that for Kaberle (Nashville 1st=Boston 1st, Conditional pick=Conditional pick, Colborne=Boston 2nd+Anaheim 6th, UFA goaltender=could walk), i guess you could argue he didn't get enough.

Would you trade Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu and Elliott for Kaberle?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Where the **** did this Murray come from and where has he been the last two years? Murray is ****ing killing these last few trades, if only he had been making trades this good when he started as the GM, imagine what could have been. Murray is on fire right now, and I hope he can work some magic and get some kind of good return for Kovalev and Kuba.

Murray was instructed by Melnyk to keep this ship afloat :

SinkingShip-2.jpg

But now that he can do what is needed, he is building this ship :

ship%20sim.JPG

Yellow is for Sweden

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I appreciate what he's doing tearing this thing apart, it can;t be easy for him but whatever, he built this team and he's responsible.

No mistakes, this team is getting a new face (RNH), a new coach AND A NEW GM.

Murray will be on the stage when our pick is announced, but it won't be him making the selection and it shouldn't be.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
When Murray had a contending team he made some moves to try & take this team over the top. It didn't work out & now that he has a team that sucks blue whale, he is dismantling it to start again. Although most want someone new to be doing this Melnyk has left it to Murray to do & there;s nothing we can do about that. So far he's done okay, we all wish he could get more of a return but none of us really know what other GMs are offering & whether what we have is worth anything more than what he got.

Melnyk told Murray to dump salary & he seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. I was a little surprised by the Elliott move but Elliott wasn't winning either & he got back a UFA goalie which can audition for next season. If he plays well great, if he doesn't NEXT. Murray still has another 6 guys to move out of Dodge Kovalev, Gonchar, Kuba, Phillips, Leclaire & Campoli before the deadline date is over.

Freerider

Sep 18, 2009
Murray will be on the stage when our pick is announced, but it won't be him making the selection and it shouldn't be.

The only this that's for sure is that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sure we can all agree on this one.

Tuna99= Epic FAIL

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well considering Burke got all of that for Kaberle (Nashville 1st=Boston 1st, Conditional pick=Conditional pick, Colborne=Boston 2nd+Anaheim 6th, UFA goaltender=could walk), i guess you could argue he didn't get enough.

So you exclude Anderson because he can walk?

The deal is Fisher (3rd line center), Kelly (3rd line center), Ruutu (3rd/4th winger) and Elliott (back-up goaltender) for Kaberle (Top pair defenceman) and Anderson (starting goaltender)

Yes. I make that trade.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

The pick ottawa got from nashville should be higher then what the leafs got from boston so to say there equal is really not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad