Bryan Marchment

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone!

I hope everyone and their families had a Happy Easter in the U.S. and other countries who celebrate. Happy Passover to all others!

I wanted to learn/get opinions from my hockey homies/homettes on Bryan Marchment. I know the guy had his share of "dirty" and "borderline dirty" hits/plays (and I'm sorry to drudge up bad memories for some as I know he may be permanently thought of with angst by some!)

Was he a guy that you would love to have on your team but hated to play against? Did he have a toolbox of other skills in addition to making the big hit? Was the guy a good player outside of the dirty shenanigans?

I'm thinking maybe his peak was the late 80's/early 90's Blackhawks as he was maybe a top four defenseman?

The one ugly incident I remember.....a game in Edmonton....wasn't it something where a penalty box door or a bench door was open and someone on the Oilers hit their head on the bottom dasher? I don't know if it was more freak accident or Marchment being a complete jerk? Thanks guys and look forward to the stimulating convo as always!-Jim

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Very dirty player. He seemed to love going knee to knee and was reckless with opposing players. However, unlike other dirty players, he was always willing to back up his actions. Wasn't afraid to drop the gloves and was a good fighter. I don't remember him being much more than an defensive defenseman. His offensive numbers were nothing to write home about. That wasn't his game.

My favorite Marchment moment was when he pissed off Doug Weight of all people. He hit Weight earlier in the game I believe. Weight left the game then came back the same night and drilled Marchment after the whistle with a cheap two hand shot to the head.

Sure, I'd take Marchment on my team.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don't remember him actually being good defensively, just a passable defender with no offensive upside but decent fear factor.

i think of the giant cheapos, he was less valuable than kasparaitis, who was no scott stevens himself but was a guy you looked out for on the ice because he was a great open ice hitter and was really really good at getting certain star players off their games. but neither of those guys was ulf samuelsson, who was legitimately an elite defender on top of being very kneesy.

i cheer for a team that employed both matt cooke and raffi torres. both very good third line grinders, peak 2003-2004 cooke moreso than torres, but imo neither were worth the trouble or drama. i feel the same way about marchment.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It's fitting that Marchments initials are BM, because he was a POS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad