Injury Report: Bryan Little

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Except the brain injury has nothing to do with why he is done for the year. They said today he is having surgery to repair the damage to his eardrum and that the recovery timeline is 3 months from that surgery.

yes aside from the fact it came with a brain bleed the team did not ever mention.... Which also takes 3-4 months to heal from.... Little was skating daily and by some reports looked good. I doubt that would be the case if he still had vertigo and dizziness from the ear. If symptoms were gone he could play hockey with a damaged ear drum and do off season surgery. I 100 percent think this injury all along has been way worse then the secretive Jets admit

Reactions: Se829ne

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Way to many things have gone wrong this season, hope his surgery goes well and he comes back and has a healthy and productive season next year, the team could sure use it.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Hope he makes a full recovery for next year, if his health allows, and he can come back and continue to be an important but underated part of the team.

Reactions: Jets 31

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
yes aside from the fact it came with a brain bleed the team did not ever mention.... Which also takes 3-4 months to heal from.... Little was skating daily and by some reports looked good. I doubt that would be the case if he still had vertigo and dizziness from the ear. If symptoms were gone he could play hockey with a damaged ear drum and do off season surgery. I 100 percent think this injury all along has been way worse then the secretive Jets admit
Punctured ear drums take a long time to heal. It makes flying almost impossible. He can look just fine in practice, but if you can’t fly you can’t get back in the lineup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
hope he is ok and recovers. Many thought it would be season ending... but it will be tough to come back at 32-33 after a full off year. Most players that do that type of thing are never the same. He still could retire in the summer or fall.... sucks because in his very small 7 game stint he looked pretty good and back closer to the old Little
Why would he retire? If he was medically unable to play he would just remain on LTIR for the next 4 season and collect his $5.3 M salary.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Find it funny the team refused to say anything about his brain injury... that is probably more the reason he is done then the ear drum. More classic NHL trying to pretend head injuries dont happen
Maybe Little wanted the extent of his injuries kept as private as possible? Or at least kept quiet until he was at a point in his recovery where he was comfortable with the information being released. I'm always curious why fans think they have the right to know the private health information of athletes.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

it would be hard to doubt a concussion, (brain bleed), after taking a slap shot off the head.

I do have personal experience as I tore an eardrum.

it is a long term injury and I expected him to be out most of the season

not only messing up your balance, it causes ear-aches and headaches that take time to go away.

it is also much easier to get ear infections that tend to lengthen recovery.

it is a nasty injury

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I was afraid of this - hasn't been a lot of info on his recovery,
Speedy recovery Bryan - looking forward to your game next year.

Reactions: Jets 31

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Find it funny the team refused to say anything about his brain injury... that is probably more the reason he is done then the ear drum. More classic NHL trying to pretend head injuries dont happen

The Jets don’t get to say if Little suffered a brain injury or not. It is personal confidential medical information and only Bryan Little has a say on what gets released.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Maybe Little wanted the extent of his injuries kept as private as possible? Or at least kept quiet until he was at a point in his recovery where he was comfortable with the information being released. I'm always curious why fans think they have the right to know the private health information of athletes.

That is excellent question to ask!!!

In reality it goes to and can be reduced to contradiction of two questions in this sport what comes to the fact a health condition as one of the key deciding factors of market value i.e. future salary of a player.

1) Is it better that unfounded gossips determine a market value and future career potential of a player, for him, income wise?
or
2) Is it better that health information is released publicly as objectively, and as fast as possible to reduce an impact of all kinds of speculations, from the point of view of a player?

From outsiders' perspective it is reduced to these question, but when we take an insider perspective and assets management aspect to the account, it is far from it.

Onus being that a player, the worker, the primary entertainer, and a public interface in this cluster of entertainment business is nearly always that one who suffer most, regardless of chosen approach. People want to know. And what ever was done, always, always, something bad follows to the star. In injury/health issue situation it is always pick-your-poison stuff for a player, and even then he doesn't necessarily have the freedom of choice, as he is still typically valuable asset to someone else.

Sincere worries of random fans are doubly tertiary class priority concern when millions speak, but the concern nevertheless because thousands of those random fans make those millions. Ultimately.

Only hoping good for Bryan. Get healthy, get healthy soon, recover fully, and if possible, continue your career then like there never was any interruption.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
That is excellent question to ask!!!

In reality it goes to and can be reduced to contradiction of two questions in this sport what comes to the fact a health condition as one of the key deciding factors of market value i.e. future salary of a player.

1) Is it better that unfounded gossips determine a market value and future career potential of a player, for him, income wise?
or
2) Is it better that health information is released publicly as objectively, and as fast as possible to reduce an impact of all kinds of speculations, from the point of view of a player?

From outsiders' perspective it is reduced to these question, but when we take an insider perspective and assets management aspect to the account, it is far from it.

Onus being that a player, the worker, the primary entertainer, and a public interface in this cluster of entertainment business is nearly always that one who suffer most, regardless of chosen approach. People want to know. And what ever was done, always, always, something bad follows to the star. In injury/health issue situation it is always pick-your-poison stuff for a player, and even then he doesn't necessarily have the freedom of choice, as he is still typically valuable asset to someone else.

Sincere worries of random fans are doubly tertiary class priority concern when millions speak, but the concern nevertheless because thousands of those random fans make those millions. Ultimately.

Only hoping good for Bryan. Get healthy, get healthy soon, recover fully, and if possible, continue your career then like there never was any interruption.

If the NHL wants to have betting on games as a revenue source, they will have to make injuries more public as a great deal money is going to change hands.

Reactions: Se829ne

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Entirely speculative but - it is possible that the ear surgery was scheduled for the off-season. The brain injury is preventing him from playing this year so they mover the surgery forward.

Reactions: ATLbound

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If the NHL wants to have betting on games as a revenue source, they will have to make injuries more public as a great deal money is going to change hands.

Yep. Being professional in highly public sport and enjoying high salary, is compensated to certain lack of privacy in health related matters. Part of them being paid so highly comes from the high-risk nature of the sport, but also from that they must give something away from their privacy - and not least in health related matters. It is simply what it is. People want to know how their players and stars fare with their health as that is relevant, critical aspect for their ability to perform in their profession.

I really hope that NHL try take bigger role in betting business over 3rd party operators, as it is better for players that way. They at least can negotiate for their fair share (as Union) with NHL, something they cannot with 3rd party betting corporations. Whatever, health info is very important to any betting organisation, 1st or 3rd party. It is that also for a casual fan.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Entirely speculative but - it is possible that the ear surgery was scheduled for the off-season. The brain injury is preventing him from playing this year so they mover the surgery forward.

as I said earlier, I have experience with this type of injury.

the concussion should be totally healed by now, or it was very bad and his career is over.

the problem with the ear is you prefer it to heal naturally, as surgery can cause more problems in a very delicate area.

every time you get a cold it very easily turns into an ear infection slowing down healing,

the flying issue is that with a torn eardrum you do not equalize pressure correctly between the inner ear and the eustachion (sp?) tube leading to your nose.

if it has damaged the semi-circular canals and that is what the surgery is attempting to repair, I doubt he will be ready for the start of next season.

I an 25 years down the road from a similar injury and I still have trouble flying.

all that said, I hope for the very best outcome for mr. little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->