Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The whole balanced line up/top 9 thing that has been pushed around here and modeled after what's been done in TO as the new age of roster management has fell flat on its face in TO over the last 3.

That's not to say there isn't the potential to maximize a line up here but I don't see a need to fiddle with it while we are on a heater. Changes will be made if we start loosing games, until then stick with what we got or until MP and Lowry return in which case I don't think it matters where we put most of our top 8F.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've often thought that Mo should try flipping centers this way to see if we can get Ehlers and Laine going without sacrificing much on the other line. If it doesn't work, then you can always go back. I tend to agree that Little's style is more complementary to Wheeler's. But at the same time, with all the talent on the ELL line, I would think they would figure it out at some point.

I agree but so-called chemistry is like lightning in a bottle. Or for a different metaphor how about a line with it is like Van Gogh. A line without can learn to paint houses. Too extreme, maybe? OK, the talented line without chemistry can learn to forge a Van Gogh.

Bottom line, IMO is that when a coach stumbles on chemistry he has to take advantage of it. ELS had it. ELL does not. If it doesn't occur naturally within a very few games I don't think it often does. JMO

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree but so-called chemistry is like lightning in a bottle. Or for a different metaphor how about a line with it is like Van Gogh. A line without can learn to paint houses. Too extreme, maybe? OK, the talented line without chemistry can learn to forge a Van Gogh.

Bottom line, IMO is that when a coach stumbles on chemistry he has to take advantage of it. ELS had it. ELL does not. If it doesn't occur naturally within a very few games I don't think it often does. JMO

ESL might have had chemistry but they were on track to get outscored by a huge margin while together last year. Not sure that's the chemistry we should be chasing right now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ESL might have had chemistry but they were on track to get outscored by a huge margin while together last year. Not sure that's the chemistry we should be chasing right now.

That was then. This is now. Because a 20 YO winger in his 2nd year and an 18 YO rookie winger were a little weak defensively playing with a relatively young C does not mean they will forever be defensively weak together.

All 3 members of that line are better defensively this year than they were last year. The 2 wingers by quite a lot, I believe. Scheifele didn't have as much room to improve so improved less. Is little any better than him now? Or much?

I'm not sure your statement is even quite correct. They had trouble on the road when matchups were tougher but by my recollection, most of the time when they were on together they had the puck in the O zone - or in the other team's net.

Wheeler is not exactly a Selke contender himself.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

I'm not sure that changes much in either case, really. Laine's been guilty of some pretty weak plays and giving up pucks that directly resulted in goals. Both Little and Shiefs add a similar degree of defensive responsibility IMO.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
even last year, i had the Little Conundrum.
I think he's a great player, but who do you play him with?
i think that Ehlers and Laine are not the answer.
so do you pay him to be a 3rd line centre and move Matty P to the 2nd line?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
even last year, i had the Little Conundrum.
I think he's a great player, but who do you play him with?
i think that Ehlers and Laine are not the answer.
so do you pay him to be a 3rd line centre and move Matty P to the 2nd line?

No. MP is not a C anymore.

Little needs Wheeler. Laine needs Fefe. I can see Connor fitting with Little but we won't know until it is tried.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The man needs his Wheeler. I say do it.

Yeah he does. They see the game the same way and play simple percentage hockey. It works for both of them.

The young guys play a different style and understand each other better because of that.

I think Little can be a good 2nd C again but he needs to be around people to play off of. Just like everyone else.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheeler

Seems logical to me...

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I don't think Little has "lost a step", he's just a 40 - 60 point player and he's in a stretch where nothing's going in. I don't think it's an accident that Ehlers and Laine are playing with a defensive center. Scheifele is a beast and will produce with whoever. If Laine and Ehlers can improve their play and start scoring 5v5 with Little the Jets are all of a sudden a very deep team. I say keep things the way they are for another 10 games and then switch it up if nothing changes. The team is winning after all.

Reactions: LoveNHL

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Can't see Little dropping to 3c. His defense in our own zone far outweighs his current offensive struggles.

Also PoMo has two goals being a bit of a lame duck coach...win games first, but if losing keep the vets on his side to avoid losing the room and his job.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't see Little dropping to 3c. His defense in our own zone far outweighs his current offensive struggles.

Also PoMo has two goals being a bit of a lame duck coach...win games first, but if losing keep the vets on his side to avoid losing the room and his job.
I'm curious why you think Maurice "is a bit of a lame duck coach"? He just signed an extension and has his team in 2nd place in the tough central division. LeBrun was on 1290 talking about how the Jets play has been rising eyebrows across the league. We just had 2 important players Little and Ehlers sign back on saying how much they love playing in Winnipeg. Wheelers is on record saying Maurice is the best coach he has ever played for. While I don't buy he is the best coach around and I do have some lingering doubts about player usage I think it is very safe to say Maurice has total command of the room to as great of an extent of any coach in the league. He has players buying into a defense first mindset to the sacrifice of personal production, but the players seem to enjoy the winning more than their HFBoards fans do.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Lame duck in the sense if he doesn't make the playoffs he will be under the gun. Might have been a misuse of that saying but I do think he's gone if they miss again.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If Laine and Ehlers can improve their play and start scoring 5v5 with Little the Jets are all of a sudden a very deep team.

Why would it magically start working? It was very clear already at the end of last season that this line has no chemistry. It's been painfully obvious this season.

Little and Wheeler has always worked. In current situation all the potential of the 3 second line fwds is wasted. It's a shit line offensively, because they don't play the same way.

I'm not one for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. If it does not work in 5 games it likely won't. They have probably played 30 games together now and all those games have been an offensive slump for all of the 3.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Why would it magically start working? It was very clear already at the end of last season that this line has no chemistry. It's been painfully obvious this season.

Little and Wheeler has always worked. In current situation all the potential of the 3 second line fwds is wasted. It's a **** line offensively, because they don't play the same way.

I'm not one for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. If it does not work in 5 games it likely won't. They have probably played 30 games together now and all those games have been an offensive slump for all of the 3.

Laine and Ehlers shouldn’t have to rely on someone else to produce if they’re as talented as we think they are. Perhaps the issue isn’t their line mates and their own play.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Little and Wheeler has always worked. In current situation all the potential of the 3 second line fwds is wasted. It's a **** line offensively, because they don't play the same way.

You cannot complete a puzzle trying to hammer in the last remaining pieces to get them to fit in. This is what Maurice is doing and it will backfire, just a question of time. The Jets have managed to cover their own end and stop the bleeding but it's like patching a tire with a bubble gum. Sooner or later the realization where one line teams won't get far in the league will kick in and perhaps then we'll see some changes. The Jets are very lucky to be where they are at the moment since most of the wins have basically been one goal games (apart from vs the Oilers or the Pens) and could have just as easy end very differently.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
You cannot complete a puzzle trying to hammer in the last remaining pieces to get them to fit in. This is what Maurice is doing and it will backfire, just a question of time. The Jets have managed to cover their own end and stop the bleeding but it's like patching a tire with a bubble gum. Sooner or later the realization where one line teams won't get far in the league will kick in and perhaps then we'll see some changes. The Jets are very lucky to be where they are at the moment since most of the wins have basically been one goal games (apart from vs the Oilers or the Pens) and could have just as easy end very differently.

Sorry but the Jets aren't lucky, this what a team with good goaltending looks like. As for changing the lines, were winning so why try to fix what is not broken?

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
They were ourcorsied, not outscored I think. Or are You speculating what would have happened?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sorry but the Jets aren't lucky, this what a team with good goaltending looks like. As for changing the lines, were winning so why try to fix what is not broken?

If there's one line that is working and the rest are not really scoring, keeping on the point streak long term is unsustainable. Yeah, the Jets should be getting points out of Dallas but beyond that, lets see how long this parade will last.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
The whole 2nd line is slumping. Last 5 games Little 0+1 , Ehlers 2+0 and Laine 2+0. Little's assist was to JoMo's goal against PIT straight from faceoff. Laine and Ehlers scored only against MIN - PP, 4on4. Only 2 points 5on5 to 2nd line in last 5 games.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Laine and Ehlers shouldn’t have to rely on someone else to produce if they’re as talented as we think they are. Perhaps the issue isn’t their line mates and their own play.
you're partially correct.
would you call for Hendricks or Lowry to centre Ehlers and Laine and/or expect great results?
when you drive your car and have a flat tire, 3/4 of them are still full, yet the car won't drive properly.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
you're partially correct.
would you call for Hendricks or Lowry to centre Ehlers and Laine and/or expect great results?
when you drive your car and have a flat tire, 3/4 of them are still full, yet the car won't drive properly.

I don’t follow. Are you suggesting Little is the reason they aren’t scoring? Because I don’t think Little is the reason Ehlers is over thinking things or Laine is making bad decisions with the puck.

I’m sure some more speed at center like Schiefele would certainly help their offensive numbers but how much would we be sacrificing in our own end? I still find Little much more responsible in his own end then Scheif. If Laine and Ehlers are struggling in their end, I’m not sure putting them with Scheif would work. We could swap Wheeler and Ehlers and probably be ok though.

We are really close to being forced to make a change anyways IMO.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I don’t follow. Are you suggesting Little is the reason they aren’t scoring? Because I don’t think Little is the reason Ehlers is over thinking things or Laine is making bad decisions with the puck.

I’m sure some more speed at center like Schiefele would certainly help their offensive numbers but how much would we be sacrificing in our own end? I still find Little much more responsible in his own end then Scheif. If Laine and Ehlers are struggling in their end, I’m not sure putting them with Scheif would work. We could swap Wheeler and Ehlers and probably be ok though.

We are really close to being forced to make a change anyways IMO.

I think that it comes down to Little and Laine not thinking the game the same way, and it often seems like they can't find each other on the ice. Many here have suggested that Laine should play with Scheifele and we have many times seen that he can find Laine when he gets himself open for a shot, whereas Little hasn't had the same connection with him and the times he has set Laine up for a quality shot are way too few.

To really get the most out of our offense I would like to see

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler

You can probably switch Connor and Ehlers if you like, but to get more scoring on a constant basis L+S and L+W should almost be a given choice for the coach.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think that it comes down to Little and Laine not thinking the game the same way, and it often seems like they can't find each other on the ice. Many here have suggested that Laine should play with Scheifele and we have many times seen that he can find Laine when he gets himself open for a shot, whereas Little hasn't had the same connection with him and the times he has set Laine up for a quality shot are way too few.

To really get the most out of our offense I would like to see

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler

You can probably switch Connor and Ehlers if you like, but to get more scoring on a constant basis L+S and L+W should almost be a given choice for the coach.

Gotta be careful about getting the most out of our offense and hurting us defensively. I think that’s what Maurice is thinking right now or at least along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->