Bryan Burke: 'I would not draft Kessel first overall'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Very interesting. He is saying that the scouts at the WJHC are talking a lot about how much of an individual Kessel is and that Toews or Johnson project to be better pros. He says if the draft was tomorrow he'd be looking hard at Toews and Johnson, and not taking Kessel.

He did say that Kessel is still a tremendous skill player, and wasn't taking a shot at him - just likes Johnson and Toews more. He said all this on the TSN pregame show prior to the Sweden vs. Finland game.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Damn, its about time Kessel gets press about NOT being 1st overall.

So, I stick by my rankings in the other thread.

1/ Erik Johnson
2/ Phil Kessel
3/ Jonathon Toews
4/ Jordan Staal
5A/ Peter Mueller
5B/ Nicklas Backstrom

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Kinbote said:
You have to remember this is the guy that picked Bobby Ryan 2nd.

Let's wait another 3-4 years before calling this a good or a dumb move. It's been 6 months since the draft, and nothing seems to indicate that Ryan was a bad selection... don't know where you get that from. Taking a chance on a guy who has the potential to become a premier powerforward in the NHL is not a dumb selection IMO.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Kyle Chipchura said:
Let's wait another 3-4 years before calling this a good or a dumb move. It's been 6 months since the draft, and nothing seems to indicate that Ryan was a bad selection... don't know where you get that from. Taking a chance on a guy who has the potential to become a premier powerforward in the NHL is not a dumb selection IMO.

Sure, but Jack Johnson who went 3rd would have been a much better pick for the Ducks.

KH1

Brian Burke: Drafted Bobby Ryan ahead of Jack Johnson, Gilbert Brule and other far superior prospects.

Brian Burke: Traded Sergei Federov for Tyler Wright and Francis Beauchemin

Brian Burke: Would rather have Toews or Johnson than Kessel

Does anybody else see a pattern here? Right, and Mike Milbury's the stupid one :sarcasm:

Misos Milakos*

Kyle Chipchura said:

Also keeping in mind that Burke mentioned that there are scouts around the WJC who feel the same way as he does, so it's not just Burke here.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I have to agree with Burke, in fact, as of today, I'd draft Erik Johnson 1st overall if the draft was today.
Johnson, Toews, Kessel in my eyes.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
King Henry I said:
Brian Burke: Drafted Bobby Ryan ahead of Jack Johnson, Gilbert Brule and other far superior prospects.

Does anybody else see a pattern here? Right, and Mike Milbury's the stupid one :sarcasm:

Firstly, I would hardly call Johnson far superior to Ryan, and Ryan was a top five prospect in the draft at least, IMO.

Secondly, compare the stats/play of Wright and Beauchemin with Anaheim vs. Federov's stats/play with Columbus. Take salaries into consideration

The two boneheaded moves he made was trading Rucchin and Popovic, but those are not really significant.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
ranold26 said:
I have to agree with Burke, in fact, as of today, I'd draft Erik Johnson 1st overall if the draft was today.
Johnson, Toews, Kessel in my eyes.

That's the way I am beginning to lean too. After seeing Johnson, I would definitely look at him long and hard with a number one pick. Kessel is still very, very hard to pass on - but Toews is a really fine player himself. I'd be torn between Kessel and Toews for 2nd overall. Thank God the draft is months away and there is a ton of time for either of them to jump out as the true top prospect in the draft class.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Wally112pac said:
Burke pretty much said it was a toss up for 1st overall.

Yes he did. But after talking about it for a minute he said - and I quote 'I would not draft Kessel first overall.' He never said that nobody would take him first overall, just that he wouldn't. Which is what we are talking about.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
A big thing with this is organizational depth and need. Anaheim is loaded up front already with Ryan, Getzlaf and Perry. Dustin Penner and Ryan Shannon have shown quite a bit in the AHL so far and Kunitz is looking solid in the NHL. If Anaheim got the number one pick, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick a guy like Johnson to add to the blueline, even though it's not that bad with Smid and Mikkelson as well as some solid depth behind them.
Burke also seems to put a lot of weight into interviews. He mentioned it constantly after picking Ryan. The stigma about Kessel being an individualistic player with perhaps a chip on his shoulder might be affecting Burke and keep in mind he probably has a bit more inside knowledge on Kessel then we would.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I'm not questioning his sincerity, but a GM who tells anyone outside his organization exactly what's he is thinking is an idiot. We don't really know what Burke would do imo, just that he continues to be hockey's best soundbite.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kessel has gone from severely overrated to terribly underrated in the span of one week. Gotta love the WJCs. He's a kid and is extremely raw\weak right now. Give him time. Immaturity and strength are things that can be added. A skillset and shot like his...aren't.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
look whos saying this... the same guy who ive seen rumors on saying "we will not trade fedorov"... boom gone... if i was kessel, i wouldnt want to be a duck either if i had a GM like that...

Transported Upstater

First of all, as Lowetide mentioned, take this type of statement from any GM with a grain of salt.

Second of all, Burke has his own opinions about players, and if this is what he truly thinks, more power to him. He has his own voice, and has never been shy about using it. He's got a right to say what he feels, whether it is a smokescreen or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Kinbote said:
You have to remember this is the guy that picked Bobby Ryan 2nd.

again Burke was hired right before the draft, he did not pick Ryan, his scouts picked Ryan, Burke simply walked up on stage and called the name.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
King Henry I said:

Johnson and Brule are not far superior to Ryan. They might be better, but not superior. As it is, Ryan is tearing up the OHL, so that pick actually looks pretty good. Ryan could easily end up being better than both.

As for the Fedorov trade, check the stats. Tyler Wright might not have more points as a Duck than Fedorov does as a Blue Jacket, but the other two do, and Beauchemin is a defenseman(I'm considering Marchant as part of the trade, as he would've been if not for McLean not informing him where he was going). All three also have more goals each than Fedorov does. And then when you consider those three combined make $2 million less than Fedorov does, and I'd say Burkie ripped McLean off big time.

As for Toews and Johnson over Kessell, I disagree, but others don't. I could easily see one of those two go over him, as could many others.

Transported Upstater

McDonald19 said:
again Burke was hired right before the draft, he did not pick Ryan, his scouts picked Ryan, Burke simply walked up on stage and called the name.

He even said that at the draft, so I don't know why people are sticking to it. He said he trusts his scouting staff, and liked the impression he got of Ryan in an interview, so he chose the Anaheim scouts' pick.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
look whos saying this... the same guy who ive seen rumors on saying "we will not trade fedorov"... boom gone... if i was kessel, i wouldnt want to be a duck either if i had a GM like that...

He said "we aren't shopping Fedorov" not "we won't trade Fedorov". It doesn't sound like he was shopping Fedorov, either. He just took what McLean offered for him.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Le Golie said:
That's the way I am beginning to lean too. After seeing Johnson, I would definitely look at him long and hard with a number one pick. Kessel is still very, very hard to pass on - but Toews is a really fine player himself. I'd be torn between Kessel and Toews for 2nd overall. Thank God the draft is months away and there is a ton of time for either of them to jump out as the true top prospect in the draft class.

I was hoping ot get a glimpse of Toews during the WJC, to see what he was all about. Unfortunately I've yet to see much of anything from him, instead it's been all Kessel and Malkin.

-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad