Sportsnet: Bryan Berard on his departure from Ottawa

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The organization itself was on a much different footing in each of those cases.

Personally, I'd argue that Hossa and Havlat were more similar than Alfredsson.

Fans of Hossa and Havlat were incensed, but there were no significant alarms being raised by the fanbase as a unified group.

If anything, there was less push-back for Hossa leaving in that we received a superstar in return - unlike with the Havlat deal where all we got was cap relief and a third-pairing defencemen that we could sneak into the lineup with his $600K salary.

The impact on Chara's willingness to stay was not immediately known.

Ultimately, both were moves that could be perceived as motivated by the imposition of the cap. Heatley's original cap hit over three years was a bargain at $4.5M.

Alfredsson departing was regarded as more of a symptom of what was happening with the Senators organization and its owner as a whole.

I would of preferred Hossa over Heatley, but kinda biased, Hossa probably my favourite Sen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spezz was still better this year
My post was in jest, but i was honestly surprised how close their production was, and that small difference can almost entirely be explained by having double the PP time.

Spezza wasn't used in a role that suits his skill set while paul was, thats the real difference, but if you are looking to fill the role Paul played i would take paul over Spezza.

CostPerRebuild

Sep 20, 2018
My post was in jest, but i was honestly surprised how close their production was, and that small difference can almost entirely be explained by having double the PP time.

Spezza wasn't used in a role that suits his skill set while paul was, thats the real difference, but if you are looking to fill the role Paul played i would take paul over Spezza.

Also league minimum vs 6.xM or whatever Spezza was making this year

Edit: was living one year in the past

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad