Brutal Moments in Hockey History

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I originally wrote this for another thread that was locked while I was writing, and didn't want it to go to waste. Let's avoid bringing up the incident that thread referenced due to the flame wars it inevitably starts, and instead have a historical discussion on brutality in the NHL.

Bobby Clarke nails a guy in the temple with the butt end of his stick away from the play in a friendly game:

Cooke blindside elbows Savard:

(As a result of the elbow, Savard has only managed a preseason game 7 months after the hit)

Domi elbows Niedermayer away from the play:

Not the first time a player has ever nearly killed another and ended their career either. One of the all-time greats, Eddie Shore, did so. No video, but I'll toss in a wikipedia paragraph:

"Bailey's career came to an abrupt end on December 12, 1933, when he was hit from behind by Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins, apparently in retaliation for a hit he had received from King Clancy moments earlier, and hit his head on the ice, fracturing his skull. It was feared that Bailey would not survive after severely injuring his head. Bailey did recover, but never played hockey again."

While the Wikipedia article doesn't go into deep description of the hit, I've read brutal enough accounts. Should be easy to find. Of course, there's a big difference between this and today's litigious society:

"An all-star benefit game was held at Maple Leaf Gardens on February 14, 1934, which raised $20,909.40 for Bailey and his family. Bailey and Shore shook hands and embraced at centre ice before the game began."

Some very early incidents in North American hockey (wikipedia):

"1905 - Allan Loney is charged with manslaughter in the on-ice clubbing death of Alcide Laurin. Loney claimed self-defence, and was found not guilty.[4]
1907 - Ottawa Senators players Harry Smith, Alf Smith and Charles Spittal were charged with assault after beating Montreal Wanderers players, Hod Stuart, Ernie "Moose" Johnson and Cecil Blatchford with their sticks.
1907 - Ottawa Victorias player Charles Masson is charged with manslaughter after Cornwall player Owen McCourt dies of a head wound sustained in a brawl. Masson is found not guilty on the grounds that there was no way to know which blow had killed McCourt"

No animated video here, but Maki and Green brawled eachother with their sticks. Green suffered a fractured skull and brain damage. Both were suspended for a lesser time than Bertuzzi (though Green was out a whole season of hockey). Both were acquitted in court.

Jimmy Mann sucker punches Paul Gardner, breaking his jaw in two places:

(That was after Gardner cross-checked Doug Small, who was playing with a broken jaw, in the face)

Wouldn't be a cheapshot thread if we didn't have McSorley: McSorley 2-hands Brashear in the head, from behind, away from the puck:

Chris Simon 2-hands Hollweg in the face away from the play:

Anyhow, it'd be very easy to go on as brutality has been quite common in hockey. Unfortunately, these incidents will continue to happen as long as the NHL punishes result rather than action or intent, because the next Joe in line will always think he'll be the one that can get away with it, that he's only going to make the guy hurt. In some of the above incidents, players got hurt long term. In a couple early ones, players died. And all it would take for most of these to turn result in a career ending injury or death is an awkward fall or the weight of multiple hockey players in the often-subsequent brawl, or even just a stick hitting the guy in the right place or with the right force.

illninofan*

I'd like to cast a vote for Clint Malarchuck:

I remember the first time I saw this on some kind of ESPN documentary type thing (similar to E-60). :help:

I still can't watch it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The Wayne Maki and Ted Green stick swinging incident in a preseason game in Ottawa in I think 1969 or 1970. Altered Green's career and was just stupid. Apparently both players were swinging their sticks like baseball bats at each others heads.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Clarke was biggest badass and I really dont know how Canadiens can be proud about him. His attack on Pospisil and broken ankle of Kharlamov were act of psychopatic man.
I really dont know how it is in connection with sportmanship.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Clarke was biggest badass and I really dont know how Canadiens can be proud about him. His attack on Pospisil and broken ankle of Kharlamov were act of psychopatic man.
I really dont know how it is in connection with sportmanship.

Don't think the Canadiens like Clarke all that much. ;)
Apart from that, no dissent.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm going to take a lot of flak for this the Niedermayer incident is blown out of proportion. I'm not making an excuse for Domi for hitting him even if it was during an intense series, but what the video doesn't show you is Niedermayer getting out of the stretcher a couple minutes later and talking on his cellphone. Big change from what looked like a career ending injury eh?

Other brutal moments in NHL history not mentioned:

- 2004-'05 lockout, something Bettman, the owners and the NHLPA should NEVER get off the hook for
- kicks from Simon and Pronger on unsuspecting players
- Yzerman's puck in the eye in 2004 it looked horrible. You want to see a real man, a real captain and the definition of tough? Watch Yzerman AFTER he gets hit in the eye with the puck. He tries his darndest not to go down and even when he does he gets right back up only to fall again. A big change from the pansies who lay on the ice like they've been shot (*cough*, C. Lemieux, Kovalev, Kozlov)
- Mogilny's broken leg in the 1993 playoffs. Ouch.

The last two are just freak injuries

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Trent Mcleary being hit in the throat during the 1999-2000 season.

I remember that well. Interestingly, that came during a period where one team had more bad luck then I can ever remember. Not only did the Habs of the time suffer a higher than normal number of regular injuries (they suffered something like 400+ man games lost 3 or 4 years in a row), they had a few very serious injuries. McCleary with the the shot to the throat, Brian Savage nearly having his neck broken in a game vs. the Kings, Koivu being diagnosed with life threatening cancer (as well, he nearly losing an eye in the 06 playoffs) and Donald Audette having his wrist cut by a skate blade, just missing his major arteries.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This thread needs the late 1953 antics in T.O. and the Boom Boom stick swinging incident:

On December 9, the Montreal Canadiens played the Toronto Maple Leafs at Maple Leaf Gardens and the teams set a record of most penalties in a game. The trouble started when Montreal's Ed Mazur got into a fight with Toronto's George Armstrong in the first period. Both received game misconduct penalties. Early in the second period, Bud MacPherson broke his stick on the ribs of Toronto's Ron Stewart. He chose not to retaliate until a more opportune time. It came at 18:12 of the third period when Stewart and MacPherson collided again. This time they pushed and shoved and the gloves came off and they began to pummel each other. Tom Johnson came to MacPherson's aid by putting a headlock on Stewart and Stewart threw a punch that landed on Johnson's jaw. Stewart pursued MacPherson again, now that he was in combat with Eric Nesterenko of Toronto and soon the benches emptied and everyone was fighting except Maurice Richard and Tim Horton who merely grabbed each other's sweaters. Referee Frank Udvari handed out 36 penalties, including 15 misconducts for a record 204 minutes in penalties. With almost 2 minutes left in the game, only 8 players from each team excluding the goaltenders Gerry McNeil and Harry Lumley, who did battle in the brawl, were permitted to finish the game. Almost forgotten was that Toronto won the game 3–0.

President Campbell was busy this year imposing fines and suspensions. As a result of pushing referee Frank Udvari into the boards during a November 12 game, Bernie Geoffrion was fined $250. Later, in a December 20 game, he and Ron Murphy engaged in stick swinging which left Murphy with a broken jaw. Both players were suspended.

There was trouble brewing for Maurice Richard when he ghosted an article in the Samedi Dimanche newspaper, calling NHL president Clarence Campbell a dictator and took exception to Campbell's suspension of Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion for the stick swinging incident. Richard was required to post a $1000 bond and refrain from any more articles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953–54_NHL_season

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
I'll nominate this because it involved someone from my favorite team

Richard Zednik almost bleeding to death on the ice in Buffalo.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
The cheap shot(s) Rick Jodzia laid on Marc Tardif during the WHA-days deservers to be mentioned here.

Quote from wikipedia :

In on of the most infamous moments of organized hockey, on 11 April 1976 Jodzio, while playing for the Calgary Cowboys of the WHA, attacked Quebec Nordiques star Marc Tardif with a vicious high-stick during a hockey game in Quebec City. Jodzio's hit caused Tardif permanent brain damage. According to several witnesses, Jodzio hit Tardif repeatedly as Tardif lay helplessly on the ice.1

Reactions: Tarantula

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Back in the day Mark Howe went hard into the net and got one of the net pegs plunged into his backside. It caused a lot of damage.

Someone already mentioned the Clint Malarchuck incident, the same happened to Zednik about 2 years a go.

Eddie Shore's vicious hit on Ace Bailey.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Back in the day Mark Howe went hard into the net and got one of the net pegs plunged into his backside. It caused a lot of damage.

Someone already mentioned the Clint Malarchuck incident, the same happened to Zednik about 2 years a go.

Eddie Shore's vicious hit on Ace Bailey.

Thanks for remembering the Howe incident! Boy it runs in the family. I mean, Gordie was almost killed in game 1 of the 1950 SCSF after being hit head first into the boards by Ted Kennedy!

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I gotta say the more I read and see the type of player Bobby Clarke was the less I like the guy. I have always thought of him as an arrogant, naive and cocky person just from hearing him speak as GM of the Flyers.

His stick swinging incidents however, are just icing on the cake for me. Very low rent, quite cheap.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I gotta say the more I read and see the type of player Bobby Clarke was the less I like the guy. I have always thought of him as an arrogant, naive and cocky person just from hearing him speak as GM of the Flyers.

His stick swinging incidents however, are just icing on the cake for me. Very low rent, quite cheap.
I watched some interviews with him and I agree with you.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Dale Hunter taking out Pierre Turgeon in the 1993 playoffs ranks near the top for me, mostly because unlike most dirty hits, it happened after the play, when Turgeon was defenseless and celebrating a goal. Sickening.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad