Post-Game Talk: Brutal Bouchard, Naughty Nurse and Subpar Skinner

Most frustrating player right now?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think it was their #1 goaltender out for prolonged time as primary issue. Along with more injuries that helped drive the vehicle in the ditch. Basically no team sustains ability to win without their top goaltender, let a lone one that had essential 2 1B tenders. Whole team went cold. Coach walked the plank followed playbook panic move 1 to avert disaster. Oil got healthy, a fresh new voice, and re-set to their expected performance numbers. Rolled that into the playoffs...

... and have reverted back to same old same old systemic issues this season. Back to flittering around regular season armageddon with real risk of missing the playoffs if the issues can't be corrected again. History repeats not in a great way. All that's missing is Derek Ryan bitching again about his ice-time or issue about coaches not keeping bottom six in the game with more minutes.
Woodcroft reverting to Tippett’s systems and tactics is a puzzling move that no one can explain though. That’s same old same old when it doesn’t have to be. Mind boggling from Jay.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Woodcroft reverting to Tippett’s systems and tactics is a puzzling move that no one can explain though. That’s same old same old when it doesn’t have to be. Mind boggling from Jay.
If anything this team needs to simplify its systems. Defenders focus on their own zone defending with less risk taking 175 feet away from their net. Despite being finesse based, it's not an optimal high skill d-group, nor a great skating group that can recover well or quickly.

Unlike the Playfair past regime's defending model that prioritized the o-zone pressure as first line of defense (which clearly carries over to this group's risk taking), focus from your own net out. Simplify system play to defend your net front and high percentage scoring areas more aggressively, stay in YOUR lane and don't get caught running around. Be harder to play against (not ideal with this personnel group). They need a staunch veteran heavy leader type who can help 'captain' way better own zone play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If anything this team needs to simplify its systems. Defenders focus on their own zone defending with less risk taking 175 feet away from their net. Despite being finesse based, it's not an optimal high skill d-group, nor a great skating group that can recover well or quickly.

Unlike the Playfair past regime's defending model that prioritized the o-zone pressure as first line of defense (which clearly carries over to this group's risk taking), focus from your own net out. Simplify system play to defend your net front and high percentage scoring areas more aggressively, stay in YOUR lane and don't get caught running around. Be harder to play against (not ideal with this personnel group). They need a staunch veteran heavy leader type who can help 'captain' way better own zone play.
Not disagreeing with any of that.

Why has Woodcroft chosen to revert back to Tippett’s strategies? That’s the actual million dollar question.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Why has Woodcroft chosen to revert back to Tippett’s strategies? That’s the actual million dollar question.
I think this team has a baked in high risk decision making style/habits which unravels to be their own worst enemy. Unfortunately this d-corp is not good enough to overcome. A question to ask is if this team shuts out the coaching direction or if it is simply repeating poor decision making of too many of this team's players?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think this team has a baked in high risk decision making style/habits which unravels to be their own worst enemy. Unfortunately this d-corp is not good enough to overcome. A question to ask is if this team shuts out the coaching direction or if it is simply repeating poor decision making of too many of this team's players?
The players are definitely responsible for some of it (20% even ;))

But as has been documented elsewhere, Woodcroft has gone back to the same breakout and NZ setup that Tippett used. All this despite being far more successful with a different tactic that he used after being hired last season. This decision to revert back is just completely mind boggling.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Call me crazy, but I feel like management has some tampering to do with it.
I know they're missing vets like Keith and Smitty, but there's no excuses for the systems to suddenly change while once again loading up McDrai while young players like Holloway get less minutes out there. It went from Shitpett hockey >> Woody style > back to Shitpett 2.0

Also Devin Shore still somehow being on the roster and playing is just zzzzzzzz. The plug couldn't even score against Stevie Wonder in net.

Reactions: Duke74

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The best we can hope for out of this group of D men is for them to stop making as many cataclysmic errors, but we probably won't get more out of them than that. As part of the simplification of the system play Woodcroft should be cracking down on forwards playing too high in the D zone and blowing the zone. If the forwards start to be held strictly accountable to holding up their end of the bargain it will go a long way to reducing our goals against.

I'm as willing to string up the defensemen as much as anyone else for their incompetence, but my blood pressure also spikes when I see forwards of all stripes on this team not even appear to try to make an effort defensively. They know this D group is struggling, but rather than dig in and help out they seem content parking up by the blue line and hoping everything will just work out. This culture needs to be eradicated as well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The players are definitely responsible for some of it (20% even ;))

But as has been documented elsewhere, Woodcroft has gone back to the same breakout and NZ setup that Tippett used. All this despite being far more successful with a different tactic that he used after being hired last season. This decision to revert back is just completely mind boggling.
Most recent games have been lost due to incredibly poor player decision making. It's a major issue if your team's veteran leader is leading the bad decision choices that costs games and repeating those poor decision making and/or high risk ones. Losing first periods, including systemic issues of giving up the first goal is all within each player's ability to be ready mentally and increase their work rate to start games. Choosing complex, high risk options over simple plays is a repeating decision making issue.

Special teams can be more closely linked to coaching and the subterranean PK is a massive issue. Increase that penalty kill result 10% and that can have a positive impact. That's within reason of a 20% range that coaching can directly impact.

Again, were I coaching this team, I would see a gap in personnel and in this team's collective decision making that would require simplifying d-zone play to defend harder in blue paint and high danger scoring areas of the ice. Back to Jay, either he's lost the plot and/or the players and/or this team's personnel is just not good enough in a critical area of defense and extending to the team's smarts, effort, and give-a-shit meters to improve within the non-glory end of the rink. Holland and Tippett preached goal suppression from the very start of their tenure. Now a second coach in and the players still don't get it (or can't).

Will say again I think this team needs a veteran, shutdown physical d-man who can 'captain' this non-glory function but essential responsibility to prioritize goal suppression. A hard defender who can lead the way by example.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Call me crazy, but I feel like management has some tampering to do with it.
I know they're missing vets like Keith and Smitty, but there's no excuses for the systems to suddenly change while once again loading up McDrai while young players like Holloway get less minutes out there. It went from Shitpett hockey >> Woody style > back to Shitpett 2.0

Also Devin Shore still somehow being on the roster and playing is just zzzzzzzz. The plug couldn't even score against Stevie Wonder in net.
I doubt Holland tells Woody specifically what NZ and breakout systems to employ though. Seems more likely that Woody just lost his damn mind, lol.

Most recent games have been lost due to incredibly poor player decision making. It's a major issue if your team's veteran leader is leading the bad decision choices that costs games and repeating those poor decision making and/or high risk ones. Losing first periods, including systemic issues of giving up the first goal is all within each player's ability to be ready mentally and increase their work rate to start games. Choosing complex, high risk options over simple plays is a repeating decision making issue.

Special teams can be more closely linked to coaching and the subterranean PK is a massive issue. Increase that penalty kill result 10% and that can have a positive impact. That's within reason of a 20% range that coaching can directly impact.

Again, were I coaching this team, I would see a gap in personnel and in this team's collective decision making that would require simplifying d-zone play to defend harder in blue paint and high danger scoring areas of the ice. Back to Jay, either he's lost the plot and/or the players and/or this team's personnel is just not good enough in a critical area of defense and extending to the team's smarts, effort, and give-a-shit meters to improve within the non-glory end of the rink. Holland and Tippett preached goal suppression from the very start of their tenure. Now a second coach in and the players still don't get it (or can't).

Will say again I think this team needs a veteran, shutdown physical d-man who can 'captain' this non-glory function but essential responsibility to prioritize goal suppression. A hard defender who can lead the way by example.
I’ve criticized Nurse and Bouchard enough over the past few days, it’s Woody’s turn lol.

There is no reason why he should’ve changed the systems back. It’s both strange and infuriating at the same time.

Reactions: McAsuno

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I doubt Holland tells Woody specifically what NZ and breakout systems to employ though. Seems more likely that Woody just lost his damn mind, lol.

I’ve criticized Nurse and Bouchard enough over the past few days, it’s Woody’s turn lol.

There is no reason why he should’ve changed the systems back. It’s both strange and infuriating at the same time.
Systems, I've often wondered about this.
You often see teams win rather consistently for a couple of weeks, then go on the skids, only to come back again and the cycle restarts. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on systems, so I just assume its basically a framework for play in different zones and transition objectives/strategies.
Being a pro league, I wonder how often the system needs to be adjusted (because other teams "catch on").
Did our coaching staff see that opponents were beginning to expose holes in our system and therefore they proactively changed the way we do things to stay ahead of the curve?
if so, I suppose there is always the risk of screwing things up a bit.
just thinking out loud.....

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The best we can hope for out of this group of D men is for them to stop making as many cataclysmic errors, but we probably won't get more out of them than that. As part of the simplification of the system play Woodcroft should be cracking down on forwards playing too high in the D zone and blowing the zone. If the forwards start to be held strictly accountable to holding up their end of the bargain it will go a long way to reducing our goals against.

I'm as willing to string up the defensemen as much as anyone else for their incompetence, but my blood pressure also spikes when I see forwards of all stripes on this team not even appear to try to make an effort defensively. They know this D group is struggling, but rather than dig in and help out they seem content parking up by the blue line and hoping everything will just work out. This culture needs to be eradicated as well.
I fully agree the forwards must play with the same urgency and work rate to help prevent goals as they do in chasing them down. Quite frankly talking about team playing with a sense of connectivity to be successful, I find watching the Oilers seldom meet that requirement a lot in their play.

Very scambly in their own zone play especially against aggressive, fast and heavy forecheck. But even in transitioning the puck out of their zone it is often not fluid or smooth or generally efficient. Smith's exceptional puck handling is missed by this d-corp which is often slow in puck retrieval which impedes the time and space of their decision making when they do get it. Whereas with Smith, he could snap outlet passes to defensemen facing up ice with more time to make better plays for zone exits.

This team is saved by a top league power play that often requires McDavid's warp 5 drive penetration work to breakdown opposition creating time and space for Draisaitl, himself or other to finish. But not enough do we see the smooth connected play of an elite team where five man units work effectively, in synch supporting one another in all three zones.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Systems, I've often wondered about this.
You often see teams win rather consistently for a couple of weeks, then go on the skids, only to come back again and the cycle restarts. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on systems, so I just assume its basically a framework for play in different zones and transition objectives/strategies.
Being a pro league, I wonder how often the system needs to be adjusted (because other teams "catch on").
Did our coaching staff see that opponents were beginning to expose holes in our system and therefore they proactively changed the way we do things to stay ahead of the curve?
if so, I suppose there is always the risk of screwing things up a bit.
just thinking out loud.....
Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke ;)

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad