Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
At least for now some of us have already soured on the NHL and stopped watching the playoffs.
Very similar to how I felt in 1996. I didn't watch a complete NHL game for at least a decade. I just soured on how Hockey had become too corporate and left the average fan and passionate fan bases behind. things haven't really changed.

DisplacedIslander

Wherever I May Roam
Jul 3, 2003
HF Purgatory
Visit site
They did the same thing with the PHX rumor (that they would be moved once they got eliminated) too IIRC.

I remember seeing that, but that one wasn't worded as such as this was. Bill Patrick pretty much said what was in the TG&M article, but even after saying Bettman will confirm on Tuesday, he also said TNSE has not confirmed a sale yet either.

Drumming up the press I would think.

Ondrej The Giant

May 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Call me a skeptic as a Winnipeg fan, but we have been jerked around time and time again with this relocation talk so i'll remain cautiously optimistic. (for a maximum time of 2 weeks :sarcasm:)

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
So how is Winnipeg going to respond to Bettman?

It's unbelievable how badly Atlanta fans got screwed....never a chance to say goodbye to the team at a game....unknowing until the very end.

Anyways...it's a bit like Quebec's move to Colorado...not that I expect Atlanta/Winnipeg to win the Cup next year but they're going to be competitive even in the West.

Well I guess the value of those old Kovalchuk Thrashers jerseys are going to go up...

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I remember seeing that, but that one wasn't worded as such as this was. Bill Patrick pretty much said what was in the TG&M article, but even after saying Bettman will confirm on Tuesday, he also said TNSE has not confirmed a sale yet either.

Drumming up the press I would think.
Bill Patrick said that because this article was his source. It even said so on the bottom of the screen.

KingJet*

I'll celebrate with season tickets, I see Burmistrov being the Shane Doan of this club, both played 74 games in their rookie year and played one year before moving to a new team. Plus I see Burmi being the captain, him or Kane.

BUT **** YEAH WINNIPEG THRASHERS!!!

I want them as that cause I think Winnipeg should start fresh and I hope the team don't have the words "Manitoba and Moose" like When the North Stars moved Minnesota Moved on and when the other Atlanta team moved to Calgary

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
So how is Winnipeg going to respond to Bettman?

It's unbelievable how badly Atlanta fans got screwed....never a chance to say goodbye to the team at a game....unknowing until the very end.

Anyways...it's a bit like Quebec's move to Colorado...not that I expect Atlanta/Winnipeg to win the Cup next year but they're going to be competitive even in the West.

Well I guess the value of those old Kovalchuk Thrashers jerseys are going to go up...
Yup. Buy a bunch of Atlanta apparel now while it goes down in price and it'll all be nice retro in a few years.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Dreger actually reading a text from a source straight off his phone. Pretty rad **** going on.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is a mistake. Atlanta is a major market. A team needs to be there. Im happy for Winnipeg but this is not what should happen to Atlanta hockey.

I agree, and I cant imagine Brunt & the Globe would run the story without some serious verification. Im happy for Winnipeg, but boy, what a market to lose.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It pretty much sounds like a deal is done and it'll just keep getting denied til the official announcement next week.

Agreed. The way they basically have reached out to everyone to deny it after the report was published tells me smoke and fire. It reminds me over the summer when the Devils original offer to Kovalchuk leaked that it was over 100 million for 17 years. After that we got a ton of denial reports from "sources" saying it was false and not the offer. Then they signed him and what do you know the reported numbers were accurate.

obsenssive*

this is the free market in action. I applaud the NHL head office for not repeating the mistakes of Phoenix.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Where were the NHL when we were losing teams in Canada? Preparing relocations and expansions in southern states. I surely feel sad for fan bases, but it was only a matter of time to get back our game back.

where was the NHL? Ask Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->