Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Doubt it, if it's true, NHL's not coming back for a third time. Atlanta Spirit, LLC has salted the earth for hockey in Georgia for generations to come.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get an AHL team if the Thrashers move.

They obviously have the ability... This is kinda black humor at this point but maybe the Manitoba Moose can relocate to Atlanta now that they won't be able to support an NHL and AHL team there.

Fugu

Fugu why'd you lock the other threads? Are you just sick of all the banter? :laugh:

it's not official yet... It's actually going the other way saying it hasn't even happened.

Dreger is pretty credible too.

It was getting silly to have parallel threads. If this turns out to be premature (and I seriously doubt it given its Brunt), we can always start up two new ones.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Once again you guys take the bait.

When will you learn - until it comes from someone involved, IE TNSE or NHL, don't listen to the increasingly uncredible sports media all of whom are just trying to be the first to "break it".

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There is only one source I trust in this transaction.

Mark Chipman

Until Mr. Chipman steps up to the podium and tells me to buy season tickets, I will not believe it is done. Bettman can still find away to kibosh this.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
If I was a Thrashers fan, I would never watch the NHL again. I support Winnipeg getting a team, but its disgusting how differently the NHL has dealt with Phoenix and Atlanta

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
It is done, they are just not happy the news broke from a source other than True North or the NHL. I know Thrasher fans don't want to accept the reality but they are moving.

I think this is the reality.

Brunt's pretty credible, I don't think he and the Globe would break it if it weren't true in some way, shape or form.

Fugu

He got squeezed ...... part 8 was about to go over the 1000 posts limit (and does vb 4.0 even have that issue anymore?).. and I think a joint thread is a good way to go even if its not confirmed, as the two are pretty much linked now.

Yes.

Re: thread size. May still be a manageability/merge issue when you have multiple servers (lag and such).

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
This is a mistake. Atlanta is a major market. A team needs to be there. I;m happy for Winnepeg but this is not what should happen to Atlanta hockey.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Here's what I'm guessing...
ASG wants this to be done, even told TNSE that it's done, but the League is saying just hold on a minute (they make the final decision), and TNSE is towing the League line and saying it's not done, until Bettman and the League say so.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I normally reject such reports, however I have a lot of respect for Stephen Brunt as an authour and journalist. That's not saying I believe it has happen, but I am leaning towards it is more likely to happen.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If I was a Thrashers fan, I would never watch the NHL again. I support Winnipeg getting a team, but its disgusting how differently the NHL has dealt with Phoenix and Atlanta
Real Talk.

IMO If I was in Atlanta, they would never see my money again.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'm getting a bit wet in the eye, I feel bad for the Atlanta fans....

maybe some day done the road, in a few decades, Atlanta can have another chance.

I think that this needs to be bumped up. I would truly feel terrible for Atlanta fans and I cannot imagine how rough it would be to see your team moved (if they officially do). Hockey has always been dear to my heart since I was 4 years old and I can't imagine seeing something I've committed to leave.

I really hope that this does not happen, but if it does... I hope Atlanta fans can find a way to continue loving hockey, even though their organization treated them only a fraction of the way they've treated their organization.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I think this is the reality.

Brunt's pretty credible, I don't think he and the Globe would break it if it weren't true in some way, shape or form.

Exactly. TNS is not happy this got out without them announcing it and neither is the NHL. TSN is saying it isn't done and Sportsnet broke that it was. I have no doubt that it will be officially announced within days that it is in fact a done deal.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa

I agree. If I was a Thrashers fan; I would be really, really pissed off. This whole situation shows what kind of a lying 2-faced hypocrite that Bettman really is.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Truth, i would rage

Business is hard... in the commercial industry you open a shop or a restaurant you can close it easily if it becomes too costly... But what about a hockey team? You can't easily fold a team... It's tough.

What do you think they should have done?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Perhaps if the city of Atlanta was willing to pay to keep the Thrashers there or the Canadian who had tried to buy the Coyotes was willing to play by the rules, then maybe the results would have been different.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

The two situations are fundamentally different. Essentially Atlanta Spirit Group is kicking the Thrashers out of the building by selling them apart from the building. In Phoenix the owner of the arena (Glendale) is trying to keep them. It is a lot easier to try and keep and save the team if the arena owner willing to work to keep the team there. When building owners are essentially the ones pushing the team out it kind of puts the NHL in a rock and hard place.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Jeff Marek TSN:

Just talked to someone at True North who tells me the story is not accurate and no plans for a Tuesday announcement at this time.

richf7

Mar 8, 2007

At least for now some of us have already soured on the NHL and stopped watching the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad