Bruno Sammartino passes away

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
RIP Bruno Sammartino. Well before my time, but when I bought the WrestleMania VHS box set (1-13) I learned a bit more about the living legend.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Damn.

He seemed like he was in great shape for his age, too. 82 is not young, but the guy looked great. What a huge loss for the wrestling word today.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
WWWF great. Immensely popular in the 60's and 7o's. Actually held the world's bench press record (alledgedly) at one point.

Did you know they stopped using ethnic champions, Bruno, Pedro Morales, in the WWWF because the fans got too passionate about them? Caused the NY fans to often riot on behalf of their hero's. Hence boring old Bob Backlund, the "All American" Champion, and later Terry Hulk Hogan.

RIP Bruno
Bruno-Sammartino_1.jpg

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm glad that Sammartino and WWE made peace a few years ago. I'm not really a fan of his work but he was very important for the company and without him the wrestling landscape today would likely be quite different. He also went a long way toward establishing the template that WWE wants in its centerpiece, for better or worse.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Indeed. He was before my time, but he was already a legend when I was a kid so everyone knew at least of him.

I'll miss him being on Meltzer's shows, he was always a great guest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->