Brule VS Jack Johnson: Would the real #2 prospect please step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
While defensemen may be harder to find, scoring is at an all-time premium in the NHL these days, so I wouldn't blame any team for choosing a skilled forward ahead of Jack Johnson. Plus, with so many different rules currently being discussed, it is very likely that the NHL may be far more wide open when the 2005 draft class reaches its collective prime.

Therefore, I could see teams who missed out on Crosby going for a reasonable facsimile at No. 2. Also, I think Anze Kopitar might be inching his way closer to Brule and Johnson right now. My top four would be Crosby, Brule, Johnson and Kopitar...in that order.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
You start from the rear foward meaning golie, defender, then offense.... Plus how many Johnsons come along each decade barelly any while there are always skilled fowards being a defender like Johnson is a rare jewel. I also believe that Brule isnt number two i can see him going #5 for your question who should get drafted 5th and i've seen both play and i dont see so much how Brule is SO good not saying he bad yet nothing amazing. In my opinion from seeing both play Johnson is miles ahead as stated earlier

fred2792

Nov 3, 2004
Ste-Therese
DarthSather99 said:
Defensemen are ALOT harder to find than forwards. Look at any top 10 in any draft and compare forwards to defensemen. Many more forwards are available. If you can get a possible #1 you take him. Johnson is more than capable of being a #1.
You're right. Johnson is more valuable. A first center potential, you have the choice, but for #1 defencemen, it's realy more difficulte to find.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
fred2792 said:
You're right. Johnson is more valuable. A first center potential, you have the choice, but for #1 defencemen, it's realy more difficulte to find.

How many true #1 center's are there in the NHL? Id say its more rare to find a goal scoring center in todays trapping NHL than it is to find a good top 3 defenceman.

fred2792

Nov 3, 2004
Ste-Therese
monster_bertuzzi said:
How many true #1 center's are there in the NHL? Id say its more rare to find a goal scoring center in todays trapping NHL than it is to find a good top 3 defenceman.
In this draft, you get some potential first center like Gilbert Brule, Anze Kopitar, Ryan O'Marra, Jack Skille and Marek Zagrapan. I'm not say that they all be effective NHL first line center, but they have potential. For defencement, you get Jack Johnson, Marc Staal and maybe Jakub Kindl, and I'm generous. Not a lot of defencemen are avalable. But all depend the need of the second team to select.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
kingsjohn said:
Johnson by a mile
I like Brule a lot from what little I've seen and heard about him and in my fantasy league I'd probably take him, just because I like that style and get easily swayed by gaudy-seeming stats from spunky forwards. :) But in the real life NHL, I would take Johnson without even hesitating. The kid is a stud, and I don't see much risk for him as an NHLer. Brule might have a little bit of risk. Johnson is the real deal, and I agree with those who are taking him by a mile ahead of Brule.

I would not be surprised if some of those Ryan/Pouliot/Kopitar/etc types who are generally lumped somewhere behind the Crosby/Johnson/Brule troika end up going ahead of Brule. Not saying that to reflect on Brule, just on the realities of the NHL draft. Personally, I think I'd take Brule #3. But I would do it knowing the risks, and knowing that most NHL teams probably wouldn't agree.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Brule is still very highly desired by NHL scouts. So is Johnson. What does it matter who goes 1-2-3 or whatever? In head their head to head matchup at the World U17's, Brule dominated Kessel, Johnson and company with a 4pt performance. What puts Brule over Johnson IMO is his competitive desire to win. Like Mr. Toigo (Vancouver Giants Majority owner) said at the CHL Prospects game this past February where Brule netted a record 3 goals and 1 assist, "The NHL GM that passes on Brule at number 2 will be out of a job in 5 years." I don't think you can say the same about Johnson now can you?

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
By the time the actual draft rolls around, Kopitar will go behind Crosby from this year's crop. The kid comes out of nowhere and keeps climbing the standings. It is already quite widespread that he has the most potential behind crosby, all there is left now is get as much exposure as the n.a. guys and he'll rise to his rightful 2nd spot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stiffler's Mom said:
Brule is still very highly desired by NHL scouts. So is Johnson. What does it matter who goes 1-2-3 or whatever? In head their head to head matchup at the World U17's, Brule dominated Kessel, Johnson and company with a 4pt performance. What puts Brule over Johnson IMO is his competitive desire to win. Like Mr. Toigo (Vancouver Giants Majority owner) said at the CHL Prospects game this past February where Brule netted a record 3 goals and 1 assist, "The NHL GM that passes on Brule at number 2 will be out of a job in 5 years." I don't think you can say the same about Johnson now can you?

Why wouldn't you be able to say that about Johnson? His will to win is every bit as strong as Brule's, and he plays a position that is highly coveted. Also, I think Brule's performance at the Top Prospects game should be recognized for what it is (a nice showing at a marginally more competitive all-star game), and not as the benchmark for future success.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
freakazoid said:
By the time the actual draft rolls around, Kopitar will go behind Crosby from this year's crop. The kid comes out of nowhere and keeps climbing the standings. It is already quite widespread that he has the most potential behind crosby, all there is left now is get as much exposure as the n.a. guys and he'll rise to his rightful 2nd spot.

Are you Anze's mom or dad? There is no way Kopitar goes number two. He's a nice prospect, but let's keep things in perspective. I hope you're not using his inclusion with the Slovenian World Championships team as your main reason for him "rocketing up the charts." He's been decent, but not a world beater.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
Are you Anze's mom or dad? There is no way Kopitar goes number two. He's a nice prospect, but let's keep things in perspective. I hope you're not using his inclusion with the Slovenian World Championships team as your main reason for him "rocketing up the charts." He's been decent, but not a world beater.
I don't even know how they managed to get a team, since I heard there are around 100 registered hockey players in that country. But the fact that he played in the SEL at 16-17 when NHLers flooded the rosters is impressive. He is very raw, but his ceiling is the same hight or higher than Johnson and higher than Brule, who will be hurt by his size. McKeen says he is reminded of Jagr when watching him, not bad right there. It will probably come down to team needs between Johnson/Kopitar/Brule IMO. I might be one of the few who is that high on Kopitar, but it is mostly because he wasn't known until recently, and most are just starting to notice him as a potential superstar.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
freakazoid said:
I don't even know how they managed to get a team, since I heard there are around 100 registered hockey players in that country. But the fact that he played in the SEL at 16-17 when NHLers flooded the rosters is impressive. He is very raw, but his ceiling is the same hight or higher than Johnson and higher than Brule, who will be hurt by his size. McKeen says he is reminded of Jagr when watching him, not bad right there. It will probably come down to team needs between Johnson/Kopitar/Brule IMO. I might be one of the few who is that high on Kopitar, but it is mostly because he wasn't known until recently, and most are just starting to notice him as a potential superstar.

Slava Olesz drew comparisons to Jagr and played in the Czech elite leage at age 15. He was drafted 6th. Kopitar might go as high as 4, but Id have him at 6 right now.

Last edited:

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
monster_bertuzzi said:
Slave Olesz drew comparisons to Jagr and played in the Czech elite leage at age 15. He was drafted 6th. Kopitar might go as high as 4, but Id have him at 6 right now.
Olesz was said to have similar characteristics, but not Jagr level. Czech league is 1)weaker 2) didn't have top NHL players playing in it. Kopitar became what he is playing in Slovenia, not the best place to develop. 1-2 years in SEL or in n.a. and he will really take off.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
well let me just say this:

The Lockout has had a positive effect on Crosby as hes has gotten alot more coverage up here in Canada. and he has proven he deserves it (coming from a non-crosby fan) Though i would love to see what he and the oceanic could do in a seven game series vs. the Rockets just to compare the two styles of the leagues.

Secondly playing in Vancouver and this hockey market has hurt Brule because he was not able to take this team to A: the top of their division and B: deep in the playoffs he has been under scrutiny over here (not sure if the same can be said for crosby as i don't live on the east coast)

but anyways to the question: if i have the number 2 pick and the # 5 pick i would grab Johnson with the #2 pick because he is clearly the best defensemen aval and would probably not last until #5.

At 5 though i could still grab one of: Brule, Ryan, Kopitar, Pouliot or Latendresse

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
maybe im biased towards my teams needs... but i hold Johnson in higher regard. Keep in mind though, I wouldnt feel sorry for my team if we landed Brule. He's a top notch prospect as well.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
xtra said:
well let me just say this:

The Lockout has had a positive effect on Crosby as hes has gotten alot more coverage up here in Canada. and he has proven he deserves it (coming from a non-crosby fan) Though i would love to see what he and the oceanic could do in a seven game series vs. the Rockets just to compare the two styles of the leagues.

Secondly playing in Vancouver and this hockey market has hurt Brule because he was not able to take this team to A: the top of their division and B: deep in the playoffs he has been under scrutiny over here (not sure if the same can be said for crosby as i don't live on the east coast)

but anyways to the question: if i have the number 2 pick and the # 5 pick i would grab Johnson with the #2 pick because he is clearly the best defensemen aval and would probably not last until #5.

At 5 though i could still grab one of: Brule, Ryan, Kopitar, Pouliot or Latendresse

Is that the order u would place those 5 forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad