Brule VS Jack Johnson: Would the real #2 prospect please step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Regardless of position, who of Brule & Johnson has the most potential or who should be taken behind Kid Crosby?

As an aside, if your team had the #2 & #5 overall picks in the upcoming entry draft, who would you like to get, or expect to get...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Johnson has the POTENTIAL to be a number one defenseman who dominates in every zone. Brule has the POTENTIAL to be a number one center in the Roenick mold. As for who is/should be taken first, it all depends on the needs of the teams picking directly after Crosby is chosen number one. I will say this though, Johnson is more of a sure bet to be the first defenseman picked than Brule the second forward picked. Pouliot, Kopitar, or Bobby Ryan COULD pass him by.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
-Pouliot, Kopitar, or Bobby Ryan COULD pass him by.

I know you emphasized could, but a GM would be stupid to take Pouliot, Kopitar, or Ryan ahead of Brule. The only way Jack Johnson is choosen second overall is if the team is in dire need of a defenceman.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hedberg16 said:
I know you emphasized could, but a GM would be stupid to take Pouliot, Kopitar, or Ryan ahead of Brule. The only way Jack Johnson is choosen second overall is if the team is in dire need of a defenceman.

Why do you say that? I don't think Brule has shown he is special enough to be the consensus number two player in this draft.

Last edited:

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I really like both players equally, for me it would come down to what my team would be in need of more and our forward prospects are looking alot more promising then our D so i'd go with Johnson.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I don't think it is a Quantum leap to pick Pouliot over Brule. Without considering team needs, I would say that Pouliot may be closer to Brule than Brule is to Johnson. If a team had alot of smaller guys they might go Pouliot.

Captain Leaf

Having only seen Johnson play at the World Juniors i must say the comparisons to Dion were close but i didnt see him dominate the way Dion did at the WJC for two years .Now ime not saying he wont be as good as Dion just my observations from watching the USA games .
Brule is special ..i saw him live several times this season ..he is a beauty .If this kid was cocky or brash hed be giving Sydney a run for #1 ;) .He is a quiet superstar ala Stevie Y ..who he draws comparisons too in many scouts eyes .BUT unlike Stevie this guy will KILL you if you have your head down ..he hits you to hurt you .
Both great players ..i love em both ..although i love Gilbert more :handclap:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If the Penguins are lucky enough to pick 2nd I'd love for them to get Johnson, even though we have no needs for a defenseman.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The real No. 2 prospect has stepped up. He scored a hat trick in the CHL Prospects Game, the biggest game of his life, and was head and shoulders above everyone else. Gilbert Brule is a potential franchise forward, and will be the prototypical small forward for a decade.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
borro said:
I don't think it is a Quantum leap to pick Pouliot over Brule. Without considering team needs, I would say that Pouliot may be closer to Brule than Brule is to Johnson. If a team had alot of smaller guys they might go Pouliot.

Yeah thats smart, draft for size - we've never seen GM's get in trouble for drafting size!

Captain Leaf

monster_bertuzzi said:
Yeah thats smart, draft for size - we've never seen GM's get in trouble for drafting size!

Montreal should be the posterboy for drafting size over skill ..Wickenhieser over Savard ..Stevenson,Vallis ..just wrong!!!!!

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I've been a huge fan of Brule myself for a while & his performance in the top prospects game was phenomenal...that's why I find it hard to see why some guys could have Johnson, or anyone else for that matter, ahead of Brule. The only way I thought Johnson might go ahead is if a team desparately wants/needs "d" help. Obviously only time will evaluate the 2 head on. However, Johnson didn't seem to even really stand out to me @ the under 18 worlds...just not sure what I'm missing...

Would also luv some comments on who'd u guys would like/expect to get at the #2 & #5 overall positions in the draft if u were a gm with those picks...

Cheers

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Captain Leaf said:
Having only seen Johnson play at the World Juniors i must say the comparisons to Dion were close but i didnt see him dominate the way Dion did at the WJC for two years .Now ime not saying he wont be as good as Dion just my observations from watching the USA games .
Brule is special ..i saw him live several times this season ..he is a beauty .If this kid was cocky or brash hed be giving Sydney a run for #1 ;) .He is a quiet superstar ala Stevie Y ..who he draws comparisons too in many scouts eyes .BUT unlike Stevie this guy will KILL you if you have your head down ..he hits you to hurt you .
Both great players ..i love em both ..although i love Gilbert more :handclap:

um johnson didn't play in the WJC. so not sure how you saw him there.

Captain Leaf

Right you are correct ..i meant that most recent tourney ..the Under 18s ..my mistake .That was the tourney where Johnson got kicked out for hitting too hard ..classic reffing.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Captain Leaf said:
Montreal should be the posterboy for drafting size over skill ..Wickenhieser over Savard ..Stevenson,Vallis ..just wrong!!!!!
What are you talking about ? Wickenhieser at 6'1 and around 200 lbs isn't that big. Look at their draft year, Savard:181 pts with 63 goals and Wickenhieser:170 pts with 89 goals. I was not around in that time, maybe you were, but with those kind of numbers I'm sure he had FRANCHISE written all over him.

And him sure that Drake Berehowsky was a better choice than Turner Stevenson ?

Captain Leaf

Savard was playing Montreals back yard ..and 6-1 was a faily big guy back in 1980.
Montreal was in need of a french star then ..someone for Flower to pass the torch too ..Wickenheiser :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Captain Leaf

Oh and i would include your avatar in the list of size flops ..Jason Ward :biglaugh:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I don't think teams should or do draft by "needs" in the first round. They simply take the best player available. If, say, Chicago is picking 2nd, and they like Johnson better than Brule, I think they'll take him regardless of the other defensemen they have. Conversely, if they take Brule, I don't think it would be because of the defensemen they have either. Draft in the late rounds to fill needs when it's a crapshoot anyway, and draft the best player available early. That's my feeling at least, and I think most GMs feel that way as well.

Captain Leaf

As long as Toronto ends up with one or the other i will be happy .

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Defensemen are ALOT harder to find than forwards. Look at any top 10 in any draft and compare forwards to defensemen. Many more forwards are available. If you can get a possible #1 you take him. Johnson is more than capable of being a #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->