Brule and Kessel

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i think kessel has a higher ceiling, but brule is more a sure star. If kessel can figure it out, he will be a dominate athlete

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Its tough to tell how a guy will do doing by NCAA vs CHL. Brule may have more grit playing against guys his own age. And where the league calls for it. The NCAA is more based on skill and speed when on the big rinks. And much older. Small guys like Gionta, St Louis, Paul Martin for a defencemen and Drury to name a few. Seemed to pick up the pace of the NHL. This does not mean Kessel will devolp or has that grit. But i am not going to sell him short because he does not show it. Kessel certinly is not affraid to go in front of the net. Scores goals in close and redirects shots. Got knocked down and got up and kept on going. As listed Kessel has him by 2 inches and 15 pounds too.

Kessel is 5'11 max, thats a half inch.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Kessel is 5'11 max, thats a half inch.

He is listed at 6 feet. He is very close if not there. I ve stood next to him and Wheeler. Well closer to Wheeler. Wheeler came to Kessel just a tad shorter of where i came to Wheeler. I am 6 2. And on hockeydb Kessel is listed as 6 feet 190. Brule on hockeydb is listed 5 10 175.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Kessel is an even 6 feet and 189 lbs. Brule is 5'11 and 180 lbs. These are accurate measurements as CSB actually takes the time to go out and weigh and measure prospects.

As for comparisons.....wow this is tough. Skating has to go to Kessel but not by much. Vision and play making goes to Brule. Stick handling and shot goes to Kessel by a hair.

I would have to take Brule though simply because he can create his own space out there and has the ability to fight through and play in traffic. The big question for me though is can Brule remain injury free?????

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I'd say Brule has a harder slapshot, though the skills competition results certainly don't suggest that. Kessel has the better wrister I suppose.

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
To answer your question, yes Kessel has the same potential as Brule to becomming a number one centre. Their different play styles doesn't really matter "potential" wise, but yes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Corona-12 said:
To answer your question, yes Kessel has the same potential as Brule to becomming a number one centre. Their different play styles doesn't really matter "potential" wise, but yes.

Kessel has little to no potential to be a number one center.

He won't be a center at the NHL level. He'll be a wing. There's no reason to see that any team would use him at center.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
VOB said:
Kessel is an even 6 feet and 189 lbs. Brule is 5'11 and 180 lbs. These are accurate measurements as CSB actually takes the time to go out and weigh and measure prospects.

As for comparisons.....wow this is tough. Skating has to go to Kessel but not by much. Vision and play making goes to Brule. Stick handling and shot goes to Kessel by a hair.

I would have to take Brule though simply because he can create his own space out there and has the ability to fight through and play in traffic. The big question for me though is can Brule remain injury free?????

I'd actually give Kessel bigs ups on his shot over Brule. Brule has a very nice shot for a prospect but Kessel has one of the most accurate shots I've seen on a prospect in a long, long time. His wrister is insanely accurate and he can put it ANYWHERE he wants. I love Brule as a prospect and think they have relatively close potentials (although I have Kessel as havign a slightly better potential with Brule a better chance of hitting his) but I think it's a slight on Kessel to say his shot only wins by a hair.

Otherwise, I completely 100% agree with your post.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
I love Brule as a prospect and think they have relatively close potentials (although I have Kessel as havign a slightly better potential with Brule a better chance of hitting his) but I think it's a slight on Kessel to say his shot only wins by a hair.

Otherwise, I completely 100% agree with your post.

Actually Brule has quite the "shot" himself and the only reason why I said that Kessel's is marginally better is because of his quick release wrister.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
VOB said:
Actually Brule has quite the "shot" himself and the only reason why I said that Kessel's is marginally better is because of his quick release wrister.

I think Brule has a pretty great shot, but I'm just being a bit nitpicky on this. I think Kessel's shot is the most deadly shot from a prospect in a long, long time.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Man, what happened to kessel's stock? PK was being compared to crosby just about a year ago, now it's likely that he will not be the #1 pick overall.

stockwizard*

Brule is clearly the superior prospect to Kessel.

Brule shot has the potential to be one of the best in the NHL. His slap shot last year was clocked at 90mph last year, but he can get it off in the blink of an eye, and his snap shot is deadly accurate. Obviously Brule is clearly the grittier player.

Brule does not have to gain that much weight. 5-7 pounds would be adequate.

If Brule was available in this years draft, I would not be surprised to see him go first overall and no lower than second.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
IMO Kessel is the better prospect. I'm very impressed with what Brule was able to do at the memorial cup, and I think he will have a great career as a 70-80 point guy with grit and character. That said, Kessel has been very good in international play, and his size advantage will help him adjust to the NHL. One or two inches and 10 pounds is the difference between and average sized player and a smallish player.

Question: Who is the last player to lead both the U-18 and U-20 tournament in scoring BEFORE their draft year? What about the last player to be top 5 on those scoring lists?

I genuinly do not know the answer, but I cannot think of anyone off the top of my head. You can pick flaws in the way that he scored in those tournaments, but the fact remains that he continues to put up big numbers. I am very confident that Kessel will score 50 & 100 as a normal year in the NHL. Who doesn't want that?

BTW I think all this skepticism will be good for him. The hockey world should see a very hungry Phil Kessel next season. I bet he brings home the hobey baker.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
wealthmanager said:
If Brule was available in this years draft, I would not be surprised to see him go first overall and no lower than second.

I agree. The way Brule has put his team on his back in the WHL playoffs and Memorial Cup would put him ahead of any draft eligible prospect this year IMO. If someone offered me one of EJ or Brule, I'd take Brule.

It has nothing to do with Kessel, but rather the way Brule has further refined and developed his game. If Kessel makes similar leaps and bounds next year, then he will likely be on par at this stage in Brule's career. I think it's fair to say they are probably similarly rated prospects in their draft years. It's just Brule has been given an extra year to develop further.

It doesn't mean Brule is a sure fire superstar. I'd still be considered about his style of play and the toll it will take on his body. But that is probably just a small risk. Worst case, he looks like a solid 2nd liner at this point, with oodles of upside beyond that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad