Bruins14 better than Bruins13?

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
On paper, yes, I think it is.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think Iginla is a slight upgrade over Horton, at least during the regular season. Iginla will have his work cut out for him to match the hero status of Horton in the playoffs, but we'll see. I think Iggy has proven himself to be a more consistent player over the long haul.

I don't know what the Eriksson, Seguin deal will look like in three years (I still think Seguin will be a tremendous offensive talent) but I think Eriksson will give you more this year than Seguin did last year. Seguin struggled last year offensively, and he wasn't a fit for the overall Bruin's system/culture, however you want to say it. I think Eriksson solidifies that line and makes it the best "2nd" line in the league.

Additionally, the third line gave the Bruins NOTHING last year. It was a disaster from beginning to end of the regular season. They did chip in a bit in the finals if a remember correctly, but it was essentially an offensive black hole all year. It looks like this year's third line could be more dynamic offensively, and the organizational depth has improved with NHL ready players. So, if the third line as presently constituted (Yeti-Kelly-Smith) does not pan out, you have guys like Spooner, Fraser, Lindblad, Johnson that can step in and play. If they get anything out of the third line this year, and I think they will, then it will be an upgrade. The Bruins should be the deepest team in the league once again, something they haven't been since they won the Cup.

The biggest difference in this year's team, however, will come from the backend. I don't think you can measure how much of an impact that adding the speed, mobility, puck moving ability, etc. that Krug, Bart, and a year older Hamilton brings. I thought Krug and Bart changed the makeup of the Bruin's back line in the playoffs, and were a big part of the reason they went as far as they did. I would have had Bart playing over Quaider in the finals, as I think it would have been a better match-up against Chicago's speed. I think speed and maneuverability in today's game is even more important that speed upfront. It does not allow other team's to effectively forecheck you, and it turns defense into offense quickly.

Finally, I think, hope, pray the power play is serviceable. The young defensemen are a part of this, but also the additions of guys like Iginla and Eriksson.

I think this team is better than last year's team on paper, it might be better than the Cup winning team as well, but that doesn't mean anything in itself. We'll see how they come together over the course of the season. But, yes, I think this team has the chance to be special.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Thank you for your opinion,, I missed out on Tim Thomas, are your backups to Rask ok? I think Boston will fit Iggy better than Pens, he will be one of the top offencive guys here.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Thank you for your opinion,, I missed out on Tim Thomas, are your backups to Rask ok? I think Boston will fit Iggy better than Pens, he will be one of the top offencive guys here.

We'll see how the backup goaltending spot shakes out. That might be one point of weakness on the team, not that it's a huge deal. Khudobin was more than serviceable in his role last year, and many had hoped he would stay on the team. We'll see how Chad Johnson looks, but he could represent a slight downgrade from Khudobin. Svedberg has looked good during the pre-season, and he had a great year in the AHL last season, but he is on a two-way contract. Johnson has a one-way contract and will likely start the year with the team for that reason. I also think he is cheaper than Sevedberg, should Svedberg be making an NHL salary. Ultimately, the back-up goaltending situation shouldn't be a huge deal, save for a Rask injury. I would expect Rask to shoulder a pretty large workload this year. You just paid him big money to be a franchise-type, number one, and those guys play 65-70 games a year. I would expect Rask to do the same.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm completely fine with Iginla and Eriksson replacing Horton and Seguin and think the top 6 will be even better because of it. Losing Ference sucks, but with the 3 young d-men fighting for 2 spots, I'm confident that they can more than make up for the loss of Ference and add a lot more to the PP.

I think Peverley is the main departure that leaves things up in the air as to whether this team will be better or worse this year. Yeah, he and the third line had a bad year last year so I guess technically it wouldn't be that difficult to improve upon that line, but when this team is going, it's because all 4 lines are rolling and Peverley was a huge part of that. He was very good defensively and added some offensive flare to that line when he was on as well. On top of that, he was a faceoff ace and could play with any player at any position at any time. I'mnot that confident that some combination of Smith/Soderberg/Spooner with Kelly can make up for that, although there's definitely potential there to be better.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think it's a better paper team other than in goal-I am not overly confident in the back up situation-especially if Tuukka is injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad