NHL Bruins Win Presidents' Trophy/ Bruins Award Winners

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

If you want to go by technical definition of the award (which is always confusing this time of year), Panarin is getting criminally underrated. This weird playoff format means he gave them a shot to compete. Surprised he's only 5th here.

Reactions: Estlin

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
and he is SUCH a good kid !

And he has so much personality, such a great ambassador for the league and sport.

So happy to see him win the Rocket and to be nominated for the Hart. He's worked SO hard and absolutely deserves it. I don't think he'll win the Hart but such a well deserved honor to be nominated.

He'll be a favorite for both awards for years to come, so lucky to have him.

EDIT: I now realize this isn't the actual vote so maybe not nominated, but cool recognition anyway.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I’m so glad that this season isn’t a waste. It’ll be real interesting to see how teams adjust to getting back into games. The bye could be a disadvantage

BruinsNetwork

Tuukka is going to get screwed out of another Vezina. Amazing how most years the guy with top GAA and SV% wins it. This year I've heard a lot of people talking about Helly because of his GP.

Rask should be a 3x Vezina winner after this season, but I won't be shocked if he's still at only 1

I personally think Bergeron was the best defensive/two-way forward and Rask was the best goaltender in the NHL this year. I don’t think either of them with their respective awards, though.

There are just too many writers voting these days who have different agendas and vote with their ego. Hellboy was great, and arguably better for a longer sample size in terms of consistency, but Rask was more dominant as a whole. I feel like Rask was honestly the most dominant goalie in the NHL this year and had way more “wow” moments along the way where he stole the show.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I personally think Bergeron was the best defensive/two-way forward and Rask was the best goaltender in the NHL this year. I don’t think either of them with their respective awards, though.

There are just too many writers voting these days who have different agendas and vote with their ego. Hellboy was great, and arguably better for a longer sample size in terms of consistency, but Rask was more dominant as a whole. I feel like Rask was honestly the most dominant goalie in the NHL this year and had way more “wow” moments along the way where he stole the show.

Then I guess it's a good thing that the writers don't vote for the Vezina ;), not that the GMs are any better. They'll probably do something dumb and vote for Vasilevskiy because #Wins.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

For fun I took at look at every goalies season since the lock out (min 40gp) and here is where Rask ranked

GAA - 12th
SV% - 8th
SO - 30th
GSAA - 15th

Arguably a top 10 performance since the lockout and people like Helly (had a fantastic season) because he played more games. It's actually being held against Tuukka that he plays for a good team.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Tuukka or Hellebuyck for the Vezina. No-one else should come close. The only other guy I could see being in the picture is Vasilevskiy because the GMs seem to love him, but while he was ok he wasn't in the league of the other two this season.

No Selke for Bergy I think. He had another really solid season, but he missed a few games and was probably held back a touch at times by his injury. Still crazy good, but one or two others stand out just a little more this time.

only Marchand had a worse team on ice goalie save percentage for forwards than Bergeron at .882 so that may cost him... Was only on the ice for 35 even strength goals against though,

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
only Marchand had a worse team on ice goalie save percentage for forwards than Bergeron at .882 so that may cost him... Was only on the ice for 35 even strength goals against though,

Yeah that probably doesn't help. The other thing against Bergeron is that it's very hard for a veteran, previous award-winner to attract notice. Their quality is expected, almost taken for granted, while voters are more likely to be on the lookout for younger, fresher stand-out talents. A guy like Bergy has to have an absolutely outstanding year to get lots of votes, and I don't think he quite had that. It's not really fair, but that's how it goes.

Reactions: LouJersey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah that probably doesn't help. The other thing against Bergeron is that it's very hard for a veteran, previous award-winner to attract notice. Their quality is expected, almost taken for granted, while voters are more likely to be on the lookout for younger, fresher stand-out talents. A guy like Bergy has to have an absolutely outstanding year to get lots of votes, and I don't think he quite had that. It's not really fair, but that's how it goes.
Which aspect does Bergeron not stand out in? There are 6 main guys vying for the Selke, and Bergeron is the only one that doesn't lag behind in some metric, even if you want to look at the stats that shouldn't matter at all. Unless people are influenced by the Ozone start %, which is insane when you consider that he plays deeper than any of these players, or the games played, which isn't even close to last year when he missed ~20 games, I don't see the argument against him winning.

StatBergeronCouturierO'ReillyCirelliDanaultStone
Points4th (2nd Pts/G)3rd2nd6th5th1st
Goals1st2nd6th4th5th3rd
Plus Minus2nd3rd6th1st4th5th
Faceoff %2nd1st3rd5th4thNA
CA603rd2nd1st5th4th6th
CF%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
FA602nd3rd1st6th4th5th
FF%3rd4th5th6th2nd1st
SA601st4th2nd6th3rd5th
S%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
xGA601st6th4th2nd3rd5th
xGF%3rd4th6th5th2nd1st
GA604th3rd2nd1st5th6th
GF%2nd3rd4th1st5th6th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Based on what I've seen online, by far Bergeron's biggest competition this year will be Couturier, which is really surprising to me. When you start digging into the numbers more Danault is the guy that stands out to me as the next best defensive forward. Couturier had the rep coming into this year that he was "due" though, which I guess has stood up.

Reactions: wintersej

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Which aspect does Bergeron not stand out in? There are 6 main guys vying for the Selke, and Bergeron is the only one that doesn't lag behind in some metric, even if you want to look at the stats that shouldn't matter at all. Unless people are influenced by the Ozone start %, which is insane when you consider that he plays deeper than any of these players, or the games played, which isn't even close to last year when he missed ~20 games, I don't see the argument against him winning.

Goals1st2nd6th4th5th3rd
CA603rd2nd1st5th4th6th
CF%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
FA602nd3rd1st6th4th5th
FF%3rd4th5th6th2nd1st
SA601st4th2nd6th3rd5th
S%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
xGA601st6th4th2nd3rd5th
xGF%3rd4th6th5th2nd1st
GA604th3rd2nd1st5th6th
GF%2nd3rd4th1st5th6th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm afraid you've missed my point. I appreciate all the stats you've compiled - they're excellent, but they're only part of the picture in determining who wins the Selke. Bergeron had another great season as the pre-eminent two-way forward of the league, absolutely. But it's expected he'll have a great season, that's what he does. So the bar for him is set really high. And Bergeron has had even better seasons than the one just past. So instantly in the back of their minds voters have this perception of, yeah Bergy was really good, but he's been better. He was not outstanding relative to his past performances. That weighs against him when you've got a younger guy like Couturier in the mix making a good case for himself, or even an O'Reilly who'll get attention as the most recent winner.

Bergeron deserves another Selke. If he wins I'll be as happy as anyone. But I think the odds of him doing so aren't great.

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018
Vezina voting is pure comedy...they wont give Rask a nod because "elite defense" of Bs but when you switch debate to defense you will learn that Chara is slow and old and many other excuses and you are in neverending circle of bullsh*ts

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm afraid you've missed my point. I appreciate all the stats you've compiled - they're excellent, but they're only part of the picture in determining who wins the Selke. Bergeron had another great season as the pre-eminent two-way forward of the league, absolutely. But it's expected he'll have a great season, that's what he does. So the bar for him is set really high. And Bergeron has had even better seasons than the one just past. So instantly in the back of their minds voters have this perception of, yeah Bergy was really good, but he's been better. He was not outstanding relative to his past performances. That weighs against him when you've got a younger guy like Couturier in the mix making a good case for himself, or even an O'Reilly who'll get attention as the most recent winner.

Bergeron deserves another Selke. If he wins I'll be as happy as anyone. But I think the odds of him doing so aren't great.
I think you're attributing too much to games played for recent years. Here's a list of the most games missed by Selke nominees since the 2004/05 lockout (5+ games missed):

10/11 Datsyuk (3rd) - 26
17/18 Bergeron (3rd) - 18
18/19 Bergeron (3rd) - 17
05/06 Mike Fisher (3rd) - 14
11/12 Datsyuk (3rd) - 12
07/08 Zetterberg (3rd) - 7
12/13 Bergeron (2nd) - 6
13/14 Toews (3rd) - 6
18/19 Stone (2nd) - 5

He's much more in line with that 2012/13 season this year, the one where he missed out by an absolutely minuscule amount to Toews for 1st. He missed 9 games, but is only at 7 less than some teams have played. A strong Selke candidate in Stone played 65 games compared to Bergeron's 61.

Not to mention this year there's a huge disparity in games played for the Calder and Vezina voting, and Makar and Rask will still be right in the mix, with Makar being the favorite.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Goals1st2nd6th4th5th3rd
CA603rd2nd1st5th4th6th
CF%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
FA602nd3rd1st6th4th5th
FF%3rd4th5th6th2nd1st
SA601st4th2nd6th3rd5th
S%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
xGA601st6th4th2nd3rd5th
xGF%3rd4th6th5th2nd1st
GA604th3rd2nd1st5th6th
GF%2nd3rd4th1st5th6th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Also add in that he plays on the #1PK for 3rd best PK team in the NHL. Honestly at this point I just think people don't want to see Bergeron be the all-time leader in Selke awards

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

Goals1st2nd6th4th5th3rd
CA603rd2nd1st5th4th6th
CF%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
FA602nd3rd1st6th4th5th
FF%3rd4th5th6th2nd1st
SA601st4th2nd6th3rd5th
S%3rd4th5th6th1st2nd
xGA601st6th4th2nd3rd5th
xGF%3rd4th6th5th2nd1st
GA604th3rd2nd1st5th6th
GF%2nd3rd4th1st5th6th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's a nice chart, you should post it in the Selke discussion thread too.

Obviously Bergeron has had an outstanding season, I'm just hoping voter fatigue doesn't rob him of another Selke.

You've got to recognize your sports great athletes, it wouldn't be wise to start dolling out awards because someone is "due", let them dethrone the king first.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No 7th player? Has to be Coyle I think, although HM to Grz. But knowing how voting goes sometimes I feel like it may be Pasta.

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
7th player award which is a NESN staple may not happen due to COVID 19.... AND the way it has pivoted toward the current 24 team format....

Huh, that's a little surprising, but it may have to do with the voting and/or sweepstakes element of the Seventh Player Award. They usually have a drawing and give tickets to the season ending game and a 2 year lease on a car, but this year it was supposed to be a Harley instead of the car. Obviously, the game, as well as the on-ice presentation (which is probably a big deal for the Law Tigers in terms of advertising) is cancelled. The contest/voting was supposed to close on March 15, which is about 4 days after the NHL shut down.

They could do the drawing, and then thank the Law Tigers at the 2021-22 opener...but that's a pretty long delay. (I'm not optimistic about 2020-21 being played in front of fans.)

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wonder when they're going to announce the winners. Surely they aren't going to wait until after the playoffs? Especially since who knows when they'll end or if they'll even happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->