bruins vs canadiens vs sens 2017-18 record

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I can see all three making it, Or i can two of the three missing. I highly doubt all three miss. All three have question marks and reasons why they could make it.

MTL has Price. Well i think their question marks have been beaten to death.

Bos Has one of the best lines in Hockey, Rask who for the most part is an elite goalie still. I really don't see Boston missing, As the transition between the old core and the injection of youth has seemed to be well timed and well not rushed. I do worry about the aging core. More specifically Chara and Krejci.

Ott has Karlsson who is good enough to carry this team to the play-offs imo. Last year i think the stars aligned for the Sens. Getting embarrassed by Matthews the first game was the best thing that could of happened. No one played better as a team, or a system better then the Sens last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think they allowed another big name player have a big game the rest of the season. I'm positive i heard that on one of their broadcasts. There question marks is can they preform the system again flawlessly.

So i see all three as roughly even.

Not sure why people keep saying that. The Sens got shredded by injuries, Anderson's leave, and multiple players having career worst seasons, yet they still finished 2nd. Those issues disappeared in the playoffs, and the Sens breezed to the ECF and pushed the champs to gm7 2OT. Realistically, they should be a favorite to win the division next season.

If you want to see a lucky team, look no further than the Leafs. They won't make the playoffs next year.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Not sure why people keep saying that. The Sens got shredded by injuries, Anderson's leave, and multiple players having career worst seasons, yet they still finished 2nd. Those issues disappeared in the playoffs, and the Sens breezed to the ECF and pushed the champs to gm7 2OT. Realistically, they should be a favorite to win the division next season.

If you want to see a lucky team, look no further than the Leafs. They won't make the playoffs next year.

It's not luck as in the stars aligned. It's luck that without the team coming together the way it did. You likely don't make the playoffs. The Leafs luck was completely different. They had three rookies come in and well everyone knows what happened.

I fully understand that some players underachieved last season. It's exactly the reason why you guys playing the team game you did allowed you to overcome those who underachieved. Just so you know i cheered for the Sens to win it all last year.

Realistically i see them making the playoffs. I also think it's more then fair to say the Atlantic is hard to rank. It's not because it's weak. It's just how balanced the division is. I don't really see any team head and shoulders better then anyone other then Detroit.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I was skeptical of the Sens last season, I considered them the worst team in the playoffs, I was wrong. Now I don't think they are great, but they are solid throughout with the great Eric Karlsson, I think they take the top spot. I do think that Guy Boucher may be one of those coaches that does great for a couple of seasons and then his team just tunes him out. That is the only way I see them having a much worse season.

Boston is seeing their prospects starting to make big impacts on D, if they fill any forward spots with productive solid players they will definitely threaten Ottawa for the top spot.

That leaves Montreal, They have probably the worst center depth in the league, Galchenyuk is probably going to have to play center this season, after that they don't have much. On D they are definitely weaker with the loss of Markov, Streit is no Markov replacement. On wing they are going to be worse losing Radulov and then Galchenyuk to center and replacing them with Drouin. Carey Price seems to have come to earth a bit and is now just a great goaltender instead of a super human goaltender and without him they are out of the playoffs, they may be out with him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see these teams separated by something like 4 points though.

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
The only thing "lucky" with ottawa was that the East struggled a bit (aka Tampa lots of injuries) and at the end of the day that really benefited teams lower than where ottawa placed more so than Ottawa itself (Toronto benefited most from Tampa struggles). So I still disagree that Ottawa was lucky yet no other team in the east was. Ottawa didn't have a healthy team, had multiple players with career lows and had to learn a fully new system yet AGAIN. I don't see how a team learning a new system and it working is luck. It was a new system and people bought it. As I mentioned they weren't any hotter in the final stretch than the 2 other teams mentioned so again I don't really get it unless one is surprised that a hockey team could learn a new system and buy into it (aka sees that as lucky... I just don't agree that is luck just a team working hard).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Sens - Bruins - Habs.

Sens deserve credit for making it as far as they did. Karlsson proved that he can carry the team on his back in the way that Carey Price can. Neither team has a particularly strong roster otherwise, while the Bruins are stronger overall. I think this could go any way and is mostly a tossup, but ya gotta go with the team that took the Cup champs to OT in game 7.

I appreciate posters like this who give credit where it's due, instead of attributing success to other factors such as luck.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dunno... 3 teams in similar positions in terms of roster potential... it is going to come down to what actually works on the ice for them, IMHO... injuries, chemistry, that sort of stuff will play out. Likely 3 teams that aren't separated by more than 10 pts. But those 10 pts will be critical in terms of who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
The only thing "lucky" with ottawa was that the East struggled a bit (aka Tampa lots of injuries) and at the end of the day that really benefited teams lower than where ottawa placed more so than Ottawa itself (Toronto benefited most from Tampa struggles). So I still disagree that Ottawa was lucky yet no other team in the east was. Ottawa didn't have a healthy team, had multiple players with career lows and had to learn a fully new system yet AGAIN. I don't see how a team learning a new system and it working is luck. It was a new system and people bought it. As I mentioned they weren't any hotter in the final stretch than the 2 other teams mentioned so again I don't really get it unless one is surprised that a hockey team could learn a new system and buy into it (aka sees that as lucky... I just don't agree that is luck just a team working hard).

Again it's not luck where Skill is concerned. No team came together quicker, and played as a team more then the Sens. They played the system perfectly. I'm glad we agree on that. We just disagree on how they got there. In my humble opinion it was a perfect storm that created a perfect set of circumstances.

I appreciate posters like this who give credit where it's due, instead of attributing success to other factors such as luck.

You do understand it takes luck for almost every team to make the playoffs right. Luck doesn't always mean good things happen. Sometimes bad things happen and it turns very good. It would have been very easy for the Sens to give up when Anderson wife was diagnosed with Cancer and he left the team. Instead the Sens battled, that impressed me more then any skill play.

From Jan 23rd i watched every single Sens game, I even posted in a few gdt but i was there. I'm willing to bet everything i own, No one wanted the Sens to win more then i did last year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You do understand it takes luck for almost every team to make the playoffs right. Luck doesn't always mean good things happen. Sometimes bad things happen and it turns very good. It would have been very easy for the Sens to give up when Anderson wife was diagnosed with Cancer and he left the team. Instead the Sens battled, that impressed me more then any skill play.

From Jan 23rd i watched every single Sens game, I even posted in a few gdt but i was there. I'm willing to bet everything i own, No one wanted the Sens to win more then i did last year.

Yes, I do understand that. I can concede that. I would re-phrase by saying I appreciate posters like that who don't attribute success solely on luck, and are able to credit it.

The team unity and spirit you describe is what brought the team together last season. Most players are back next year, so we'll see if that remains.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
IMO, the Sens weren't lucky. They did however, get hot at the right time. I think they'll finish around 95-100 points. Slightly above the Habs. Bruins will be around 85-90.

They didn't get hot at the right time, they just beat 2 teams (NYR and Boston) that were close in talent and got edged closely by a team that is a bit better (Pittsburgh). It's just that people who thought the Sens were largely inferior were clueless and showed their hockey ignorance. I have witnessed that behavior for almost 3 decades now, that's pretty standard. Opinions are mostly formed on popularity and name recognition. A small hockey market between Toronto, Montreal and New york is not taken seriously.

Maybe the Sens had a bit less problems than usual when the playoffs began? Like Ryan being finally a bit healthy, MacArthur finally back, Anderson able to stay with the team for a longer period of time, the team acquiring some depth finally because they played without a good 4th line all season (budget issues)

Oh I mentioned the budget... actually if you take that into account, it becomes even harder that the Sens achieved anything out of luck, they actually deserve more merit than others because they live in a different financial bubble that can't see them spend close to the cap or buy out players or outbid for UFAs or make trades without taking salary back...

Again it's not luck where Skill is concerned. No team came together quicker, and played as a team more then the Sens. They played the system perfectly. I'm glad we agree on that. We just disagree on how they got there. In my humble opinion it was a perfect storm that created a perfect set of circumstances.

And what were those circumstances exactly?

Actually, with a bit more luck, Sens could have beaten the Pens and go to the Finals and maybe win it all... Too many key players were playing injured.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not sure what team you were watching, but Ottawa took a good third of the season to actually figure out it's system. They didn't hit the ground running by any stretch of the imagination, so actually, there were a lot of teams that came together quicker, some though, faltered late in the season, while Ottawa managed to hang on.

To me, this coming season is different from last year in a couple ways;

1. We shouldn't have that ~30 game break-in period associated with learning a new system like we did last year.
2. The 4th line was atrocious to start the year (I've gone over the stats before, even bringing the 4th line to the standard of below average would have a huge impact, they were that bad), and was addressed at the deadline. This year, we appear to be going into the season with a 4th line similar or better to the one we had in the playoffs.
3. Ottawa lost MacArthur in training camp after all viable options for replacing him were off the table. Perhaps they should have had a better backup plan in place, but they appear better positioned this year in that regard. This risk of him not being available to start the season seems much less after seeing him competed in an extended playoff run.

They have however lost Methot, and appear to be replacing him with a combination of Oduya and Chabot. Obviously there a good chance that that combo won't be able to fully replace Methot's impact, though Chabot's potential long term exceeds Methot's, it's unwise to bank on him reaching that level so early in his career.

So, leading into the season, Ottawa to me seems better positioned overall for success. That's not taking into account things like Anderson's family issue that kept him out for a good stretch, Ryan's career worst season, or Brassard finishing the seasons ~20 pts below what he did the prior two years.

To me, Ottawa is highly likely to play better overall than it did last year. Yes, they had their share of good fortune in that the entire division was a bit of a mess, but I think that's offset by some very obvious bad fortune that seems to be ignored as just part of the game. If we are to say Ottawa's misfortune is just part of the game, then so is the misfortune of TBay and Florida. You can't have it both ways and say they were lucky one front but not address their misfortune on the other.

The real question though is how all the other moving parts that are completely out of their control affect their end of year positioning; If Tbay and Florida bounce back, how does that impact the standings? Will Buffalo improve? Carolina? The Islanders? Flyers? How will that impact things.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Tbh I don't see how Bruins are not #1 in some peoples lists. Arguably the best line in hockey (maybe more so if Bergy is healthier), a solid top-4 group in Krug Chara McAvoy and Carlo, a good goalie, a good 2c, and nice forward depth.

Anyone putting them at third in this list means they think at least one of Boston Tampa and Toronto misses the playoffs, an absurd thought to me.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Tbh I don't see how Bruins are not #1 in some peoples lists. Arguably the best line in hockey (maybe more so if Bergy is healthier), a solid top-4 group in Krug Chara McAvoy and Carlo, a good goalie, a good 2c, and nice forward depth.

Anyone putting them at third in this list means they think at least one of Boston Tampa and Toronto misses the playoffs, an absurd thought to me.

Seriously?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Boston is a bubble team, and not seeing the depth after the first line, other than Krejci

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Its only difficult, because I don't know how much the Sens, shot differential and poor corsi will effect them. Its always does.

Otherwise
Sens
Habs
B's

Still could be that way.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Then any team who plays well together is because of luck and having a perfect storm come together (or only teams that lack superstar forwards?).

Again it took nearly to the playoffs before the Sens played a good system and got their system down pat. Luck is a part of any teams success but I disagree that only ottawa was lucky in that respect last year. Ottawa was simply a team that bought into a system. Again that is working together not luck (imo). To me ottawa was pretty damn unlucky last year and like Micklebot stated, if they even get a little luck this year plus continue to play the system that brought them deep into the playoffs I think they do better as far as on ice play this year (not saying this means other teams don't improve more).

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens fan and voted Habs/Sens/Boston

Habs didn' get better but they have Price in net and they'll always finish with a lot of points because of that.

Sens will again be better than Boston with the arrival of Chabot and White and the return of MacArthur.

Boston will be fringe playoff team but could surprise if their prospects make an impact and Rask is back to normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad