Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals VIII - Mod in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What kind of player do the Bruins think they will get if they're not willing to trade their equivalent of Cliff ****ing Pu?

I really hope the price was not the stopping point in acquiring Skinner and that it was really that he wouldn't waive his NMC to go to Boston.
there's still the matter of keeping him which will be no easy thing.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
there's still the matter of keeping him which will be no easy thing.

I'm assuming that you mean the terms of his contract itself and not the idea of trying to convince him to stay. If so, then I double back to the fact that not a single pending UFA should be in the Bruins sights, then. If you're trading for pending UFAs who you can re-sign cheap, I question the utility and value they provide to the team to begin with. That's not to say that they necessarily *should* go out and sign expensive free agents, but expecting every player to sign for less than Bergeron reeks of Sindenism and acceptance of mediocrity.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What kind of player do the Bruins think they will get if they're not willing to trade their equivalent of Cliff ****ing Pu?

I really hope the price was not the stopping point in acquiring Skinner and that it was really that he wouldn't waive his NMC to go to Boston.

Skinner had 24 goals in 82 games TOTAL last season (and was a minus 27).

Anybody pretending now to know this summer that Skinner would score 24 goals in first 32 games this season is lying to themselves...and the rest of the board.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Anybody pretending now to know this summer that Skinner would score 24 goals in first 32 games this season is lying to themselves...and the rest of the board.

Heck, if Carolina thought he was capable of that kind of production he's probably still a Hurricane.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

I, uh, didn't. Not sure where this is coming from.

He's shooting at nearly twice his career average, anybody expecting him to keep up this pace long term is absolutely mental.

However, 24 goals is still a hell of a lot in *this* league. Especially when you look at his most common linemates because Bill Peters pushed him down the line up constantly and played him with absolute plugs.

And I'm not gonna bash a guy with plus minus (ever, to begin with, because its an outdated, poorly-conceived and extremely misleading stat) who was on a team with one of those worst goaltending in the league. That's a horrible way to assess a player's true value.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

bingo.

where are we hiding a Eichel level young center to feed Skinner all these goals?

Reactions: Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I, uh, didn't. Not sure where this is coming from.

It’s coming from your post I quoted.

You made it seem as if a Cliff Pu equivalent (and a 3rd and a 6th) was a no-brainer for Skinner.

And it is a no-brainer for the 2018-19 version of Skinner. For the 2017-18 version and the questions that came with him, not so much.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Obviously his line mates have a huge part of his production,would he have this kind of production with Krejci is the question.

Not to mention the PP. Where would Skinner fit in? Would he be on the first unit.

Skinner is playing with the better player (Eichel) than Krejci. He's in a key role as their home-run hitter with the Sabres that I'm not sure he gets in Boston. I don't think he produces in Boston at the rate he is in Buffalo.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
It’s coming from your post I quoted.

You made it seem as if a Cliff Pu equivalent (and a 3rd and a 6th) was a no-brainer for Skinner.

And it is a no-brainer for the 2018-19 version of Skinner. For the 2017-18 version and the questions that came with him, not so much.

What about if we didn't judge players on single years but instead looked at their contributions in aggregate? And again, I NEVER said that Skinner is scoring at a sustainable rate. He's absolutely going to come back down to earth.

But I absolutely would 100% trade the Bruins' version of Cliff Pu and a couple of late round picks for a player of the 2017-2018 version of Jeff Skinner. That's a nothing package for a speedy goalscorer.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Not to mention the PP. Where would Skinner fit in? Would he be on the first unit.

Skinner is playing with the better player (Eichel) than Krejci. He's in a key role as their home-run hitter with the Sabres that I'm not sure he gets in Boston. I don't think he produces in Boston at the rate he is in Buffalo.
Not sure if him or Debrusk could play off wing,I think that would have been an interesting line

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let's just fast forward to next year when Studnicka, Lauko, and Senyshyn make the team
Senyshyn has already made Providence, I'm sure the other two will like Federal Hill as well. I think Studnicka has a chance of maybe making the team but you are being way to optimistic. The struggles of Heinen, Bjork and Donato should show you that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
in my sim league I dealt him for 4 first round picks... it probably seems high but I respect the guy who made me that offer. I think in real nhl, the price would be similar. give up the picks and then on top of it give up the cap room

Well that wasn't exactly the trade Mike.

You also sent me back 3 picks plus Bogdan Kiselevich.

And then we flipped picks in a three-way that I used to acquire Elias Lindholm. I wouldn't have made the Kane trade if I wasn't in on Lindholm.

Basically the 4 first round picks (and Slater Koekkoek) netted me Kane and Lindholm plus a fourth, two fifth and 2 seventh round picks.

Can I make it as an NHL GM?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

The Bruins wouldn't need him at that rate. 15-16 goals as a second line winger would be real sweet, But who really knows what he would of done in Boston. He is in a contract year and players tend too raise their level of play during that year and being on the first PP unit. Why wouldn't he be the man down low in front of the net, with his hands.

Sure he's with Eichel a great talent but he is also playing against a lot of the other teams top defensive pairings. While in Boston he wouldn't be facing that but would still be with some highly skilled offensive players or possibly he could be on the wing with Bergy and Marchand.

Its not like "wow" where did this come from I mean the guy is a 3 time 30+goalscorer on some pretty sad Hurricane teams.

Reactions: maxl7

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm assuming that you mean the terms of his contract itself and not the idea of trying to convince him to stay. If so, then I double back to the fact that not a single pending UFA should be in the Bruins sights, then. If you're trading for pending UFAs who you can re-sign cheap, I question the utility and value they provide to the team to begin with. That's not to say that they necessarily *should* go out and sign expensive free agents, but expecting every player to sign for less than Bergeron reeks of Sindenism and acceptance of mediocrity.
big difference between a guy you can extend for 6 million vs a guy who will command 8+ (Skinner after the season he's having). And I don't think it's so much about expecting everyone to sign for less than Bergeron as it is about not thinking they need to go after a player that commands that much money. They already have the core in place, they just need complimentary guys to add some offensive punch.

I don't think anybody saw this season coming from Skinner. It would have been reasonable to assume that he might have put up 25-30 goals and been relatively affordable to sign. With that said, given the data they had at the time, I definitely think they should have gone after him and landed him because he's exactly what they were missing.

It's getting really frustrating to see the list of good goal scorers that have gone to UFA or been traded for very affordable returns while the Bruins have struggled to find a full-time solution on the 2nd line wing.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

the thing is the Bruins wouldn't have needed him to produce at a 50 goal pace. They just need a reliable 2nd line goal scorer. Skinner potting 25-30 for 6 million a year would have been a perfect fit. I feel like they have gotten gun-shy with trades and are overthinking how they fill that 2nd line spot. There have been plenty of guys that have been available that they've passed on and at a certain point it's just like "wtf are you guys waiting for? Nathan Horton's not walking through that door"

Reactions: BruinDust

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012

no we didn't but the bruins did have him on there radar this summer prob.would have got him for less.....for a 24 goal scorer in 82 games no?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

even without the benefit of hindsight, Skinner has been one of the most consistently reliable goal scorers of the last few years. Even the 25 goal version of him should have been a prime target for the Bruins. Not filling the "R Nash" spots in the offseason is a very frustrating mistake given that those are the exact deficiencies that have hurt them all season.

Reactions: sarge88 and maxl7

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
big difference between a guy you can extend for 6 million vs a guy who will command 8+ (Skinner after the season he's having).

That's exactly my point. You get what you pay for (well, free agency is almost always a losing proposition, but you get my point). I just wish they'd aim a little higher than marginal players for once.

I don't think anybody saw this season coming from Skinner. It would have been reasonable to assume that he might have put up 25-30 goals and been relatively affordable to sign. With that said, given the data they had at the time, I definitely think they should have gone after him and landed him because he's exactly what they were missing.

I'd like to state for the record that my opinion of Jeff Skinner is in no way based on his success this year. Any time you use a contract year to gauge a player you're bound for disappointment. While I didn't anticipate 40+ goals, if you had told me last year that Skinner would have gotten that many while playing with a player of Eichel's calibre (instead of say, Derek Ryan, lmao) I would not have blinked an eye. He's the type of player who is going to succeed the way the game's played now, and I think the only people surprised by this season from him are people who wrote him off as soft during his time with the Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad