Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals - VII - (MOD in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Please stay on subject and try to have some reasoning behind your proposals.

Why team(s) do this, CAP, NMC, NTC, etc....

If the few of you insist on flaming each other take it to PM with each other.

This is NOT to discuss past drafts.

Going forward there will be warnings and bans.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am just posting this here again because I wasted way too much time on it and don't want it lost in the old thread :laugh:

Posted this morning previously in the old thread:

Many times the process for a struggling team goes something like this to turn it around. If the first step doesn’t work, they move on to the next:

1) Minor deal, benching players

2) Fire Coach (depending on tenure, past record, etc.)

3) Major deals (these can be dealing off proven players for younger ones in a rebuild situation like in Chicago, or adding veterans to save a GM’s job like in EDM)

This early in the season, the majority of teams are in a nebulous grey area, waiting to see what their team actually is before making any significant moves. If I am Boston, I’m looking at the teams that have already fired their coach (or maybe GM) and are looking to make that next step.

LA, EDM, STL, CHI, PHI

I would remove EDM from the picture because I think Chia is going to try to save his job. The picture in PHI is a little murky right now and I’m not sure Fletcher is ready to do anything so soon after taking over.

LA - Tyler Toffoli has been mentioned a lot on these boards, Jeff Carter as well. I would pass on Carter. He’s too old and has too much term on his deal. The B’s don’t need another overpaid big dollar guy on the back 9. I like TT, but I’m not sure of his availability and would think that LA may want to keep him to bridge the gap while they wait for kids like Vilardi and Anderson-Dolan to arrive. Probably going to be pricey.

STL - The Blues made some major moves this offseason bringing in ROR, Bozak, and Perron in what looked to be a “win now” situation. That has not worked out for them, with good players underperforming and a rash of injuries to key guys. The question is after the moves they made, do they still think they can salvage the season, or do they tear it down in a major way. Either way, it could be beneficial for the B’s, whether STL is looking to just shake it up, or go major reconstruction.

The guys I would be looking at are: Schenn, Schwartz, and possibly Bozak if Backes was going the other way. If the Blues are really looking to rebuild, Tarasenko and AP would be at the top of my list, but those guys are unlikely. I love Schwartz, he produces whenever he plays, but the problem is he’s hurt a lot. Schenn is 27, has some size and grit to his game and can play C or W. He’s around 50% on FO’s. The issue for me is that he’s another LH shot, and he’s too good and too expensive to be a 3rd line C imo. If you put him at wing, you would have to move DeBrusk over.

CHI - Might be the team the B’s would want to deal with the most at this point because of the situation. Fired long time coach, has Cups in the recent past, already moved a young player for some others in a shake it up move. The Hawks could be looking to make a more significant move or moves with an eye towards getting younger. For me, the obvious candidates are Saad and Anisimov.

Both are good players who are underperforming this year based on their contracts. That would mean CHI is probably willing to move them and the cost might be reasonable if the B’s can make the money work. Saad just turned 26, he’s got some size, he’s fast and he can play either wing. He scored 31 and 24 with the Blue Jackets, but has trailed off a bit since being dealt back to CHI. Is that more on him or the team? Anisimov is older (30), and a little pricey for what he gives you, but would bring that veteran presence to the 3C spot and you could put a young wing or two with him without an issue. He only has two more years on his deal, so he’s not really “blocking” a young C coming up like Studnicka or Frederic, if and when they are ready.

Out of all the guys I mentioned Saad would probably be my first choice because of age and past production. A top 6 comprised of:

63-37-88
74-46-Saad

Looks pretty good and allows you to drop Heinen and Donato down to the 3rd line where they can face easier matchups and hopefully provide some secondary scoring.

I’m not sure what CHI would want in return? They are a little long in the tooth on the back end and the B’s have some good young D. Maybe there is a match there?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I am just posting this here again because I wasted way too much time on it and don't want it lost in the old thread :laugh:

Many times the process for a struggling team goes something like this to turn it around. If the first step doesn’t work, they move on to the next:

3) Major deals (these can be dealing off proven players for younger ones in a rebuild situation like in Chicago, or adding veterans to save a GM’s job like in EDM)

This early in the season, the majority of teams are in a nebulous grey area, waiting to see what their team actually is before making any significant moves. If I am Boston, I’m looking at the teams that have already fired their coach (or maybe GM) and are looking to make that next step.

LA, EDM, STL, CHI, PHI

I would remove EDM from the picture because I think Chia is going to try to save his job. The picture in PHI is a little murky right now and I’m not sure Fletcher is ready to do anything so soon after taking over.

LA - Tyler Toffoli has been mentioned a lot on these boards, Jeff Carter as well. I would pass on Carter. He’s too old and has too much term on his deal. The B’s don’t need another overpaid big dollar guy on the back 9. I like TT, but I’m not sure of his availability and would think that LA may want to keep him to bridge the gap while they wait for kids like Vilardi and Anderson-Dolan to arrive. Probably going to be pricey.

STL - The Blues made some major moves this offseason bringing in ROR, Bozak, and Perron in what looked to be a “win now” situation. That has not worked out for them, with good players underperforming and a rash of injuries to key guys. The question is after the moves they made, do they still think they can salvage the season, or do they tear it down in a major way. Either way, it could be beneficial for the B’s, whether STL is looking to just shake it up, or go major reconstruction.

The guys I would be looking at are: Schenn, Schwartz, and possibly Bozak if Backes was going the other way. If the Blues are really looking to rebuild, Tarasenko and AP would be at the top of my list, but those guys are unlikely. I love Schwartz, he produces whenever he plays, but the problem is he’s hurt a lot. Schenn is 27, has some size and grit to his game and can play C or W. He’s around 50% on FO’s. The issue for me is that he’s another LH shot, and he’s too good and too expensive to be a 3rd line C imo. If you put him at wing, you would have to move DeBrusk over.

CHI - Might be the team the B’s would want to deal with the most at this point because of the situation. Fired long time coach, has Cups in the recent past, already moved a young player for some others in a shake it up move. The Hawks could be looking to make a more significant move or moves with an eye towards getting younger. For me, the obvious candidates are Saad and Anisimov.

Both are good players who are underperforming this year based on their contracts. That would mean CHI is probably willing to move them and the cost might be reasonable if the B’s can make the money work. Saad just turned 26, he’s got some size, he’s fast and he can play either wing. He scored 31 and 24 with the Blue Jackets, but has trailed off a bit since being dealt back to CHI. Is that more on him or the team? Anisimov is older (30), and a little pricey for what he gives you, but would bring that veteran presence to the 3C spot and you could put a young wing or two with him without an issue. He only has two more years on his deal, so he’s not really “blocking” a young C coming up like Studnicka or Frederic, if and when they are ready.

Out of all the guys I mentioned Saad would probably be my first choice because of age and past production. A top 6 comprised of:

63-37-88
74-46-Saad

Looks pretty good and allows you to drop Heinen and Donato down to the 3rd line where they can face easier matchups and hopefully provide some secondary scoring.

I’m not sure what CHI would want in return? They are a little long in the tooth on the back end and the B’s have some good young D. Maybe there is a match there?
I think it’s time for step 1. Lots of guys underperforming especially in the bottom 6. And by “underperforming” I mean there’s a lack of effort.

I think Toffoli would be a great add, although I doubt he’s available. He has that Nathan Horton vibe about him. Stuck on a bad team right now, could blossom in Boston’s top 6. Fairly young and on a decent contract. Maybe a player you over pay for in prospects.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think it’s time for step 1. Lots of guys underperforming especially in the bottom 6. And by “underperforming” I mean there’s a lack of effort.

I think Toffoli would be a great add, although I doubt he’s available. He has that Nathan Horton vibe about him. Stuck on a bad team right now, could blossom in Boston’s top 6. Fairly young and on a decent contract. Maybe a player you over pay for in prospects.

I think you misunderstood (my fault because of the way I worded it).

Every team goes through Step 1 on a regular basis. I only laid out the steps because I think if you want to make a deal before the deadline (which I think the B's clearly need to do), then you need to look at teams that have already progressed to Step 3 this early in the year. They are the teams that will be most open to trades.

I completely disagree with the bolded part pf your post, and don't think it's a lack of effort at all.

In some cases, it's because the players are miscast in their current roles (Cave, Nordstrom, Acciari).

In some cases, the players are doing the right things, but still not seeing the puck go in (Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk to start the year).

In some cases, the players are just not ready to be productive NHL players at this point (Donato, Bjork?)

In some cases, it's because injuries have changed the role a player was meant to play on the team (Backes).

Lack of effort would be way down on the list imo. It's easy for posters to say, this guy looks like shit because he's not skating or not trying. I believe in most cases, if that were true, the guy would not even be in the lineup.

Right now, the B's have a talent deficit due to injury, players slumping and players not being NHL ready. It needs to be addressed if the B's have any type of Cup aspirations this year.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I would have dumped Bjork for ryan strome. He's playing well only 25 yrs old and might have been our answer for third c. He would been a cheap effective answer for our 3rd line.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I would have dumped Bjork for ryan strome. He's playing well only 25 yrs old and might have been our answer for third c. He would been a cheap effective answer for our 3rd line.
I don't think Bjork alone nets you Strome.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
oh boy, im scared to type this out but, lets see how this goes..
krug for trouba
donato (+?) for roslovic
why this works- winnipeg needs LD and have a log jam of RD , plus, being winnipeg, they are always looking for a good trade partner to keep free agents there longer. also, how good would krug be on that team, especially teamed up with big buff. donato gives them another skilled forward to mix in
boston- has a large group of LD but a shortage of RD trouba although not as gifted as a scorer as krug, will provide steady D, physical prescence and some offensive ability (pp) . can you imagine McAvoy, Carlo and Trouba on the right side for the foreseeable future! roslovic, can play RW or C , has size and is still filling out his body, not afraid to use it and has some amazing skill. ive been perusing the trade routes for a long time searching for a good deal that would work.. this is now my dream scenario.. i dont think donato would be enough to get roslovic so we might have to add there.

Reactions: bbfan419

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think you misunderstood (my fault because of the way I worded it).

Every team goes through Step 1 on a regular basis. I only laid out the steps because I think if you want to make a deal before the deadline (which I think the B's clearly need to do), then you need to look at teams that have already progressed to Step 3 this early in the year. They are the teams that will be most open to trades.

I completely disagree with the bolded part pf your post, and don't think it's a lack of effort at all.

In some cases, it's because the players are miscast in their current roles (Cave, Nordstrom, Acciari).

In some cases, the players are doing the right things, but still not seeing the puck go in (Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk to start the year).

In some cases, the players are just not ready to be productive NHL players at this point (Donato, Bjork?)

In some cases, it's because injuries have changed the role a player was meant to play on the team (Backes).

Lack of effort would be way down on the list imo. It's easy for posters to say, this guy looks like **** because he's not skating or not trying. I believe in most cases, if that were true, the guy would not even be in the lineup.

Right now, the B's have a talent deficit due to injury, players slumping and players not being NHL ready. It needs to be addressed if the B's have any type of Cup aspirations this year.
I misread.

I think deals are there to be made, wether or not a selling team has gone through any steps. If the buying team wants quality, they need to be ready to give up some quality. There’s a good chance the B’s brass aren’t keen on moving out any of the youths yet.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Struggling Ryan Spooner netted Strome.

Oilers got spooner he ain't anything special. Ryan strome would have been a good bet.

Struggling Ryan Spooner who, like Strome, has put up 40 pts at least once in a season (almost 50).

Im big on Bjork and would rather take a gamble with him if it came down to a deal for strome. But Im just laying out the facts that Bjork, who hasnt proven much yet, alone, doesnt get you Strome.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I misread.

I think deals are there to be made, wether or not a selling team has gone through any steps. If the buying team wants quality, they need to be ready to give up some quality. There’s a good chance the B’s brass aren’t keen on moving out any of the youths yet.

I agree to an extent, but in the B's case I think they want/need to acquire legit NHL players without subtracting from the current roster. That means moving expendable pieces (often younger players) that have as much/more upside than what you are receiving, but just aren't ready now.

Boston has a lot of good young D. The one good thing about the injuries is that they showed that kids like Grizz, UV, Lauzon, Clifton, and to a lesser extent Zboril have NHL futures ahead of them. I would imagine that the B's will be looking to deal one or more of these pieces in order to shore up the F corps.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think St Louis is starting to question their old core (not age, but the guys before the big off season moves) and whether they can win with them. I think once they deal one or two of them, we'll hear Doug Armstrong say they underestimated the loss of David Backes' leadership.

Two things they need to solve: Goaltending (and they have tried to make a move there) and the core group.

LA, EDM, STL, CHI, PHI

63-37-88
74-46-Saad

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

LA, EDM, STL, CHI, PHI

63-37-88
74-46-Saad

The guy on the backend that I keep coming to for us to trade is Gryz. I know that's probably unpopular with many fans, but I just don't know where he fits. Even if Chara retired this off-season we'd have:

Krug
Gryz
Vaak
Lauzon
Moore
Zboril

Obviously injuries can happen and guys can play on the right side, but even there you have McAvoy and Carlo long term, so really its the #3RHD spot and you could potentially put a guy like Clifton there if Miller doesn't return. Not to mention Gryz is a young cost controlled PMD that I'm sure a lot of teams would be interested in.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The guy on the backend that I keep coming to for us to trade is Gryz. I know that's probably unpopular with many fans, but I just don't know where he fits. Even if Chara retired this off-season we'd have:

Krug
Gryz
Vaak
Lauzon
Moore
Zboril

Obviously injuries can happen and guys can play on the right side, but even there you have McAvoy and Carlo long term, so really its the #3RHD spot and you could potentially put a guy like Clifton there if Miller doesn't return. Not to mention Gryz is a young cost controlled PMD that I'm sure a lot of teams would be interested in.

Exactly what I spoke about yesterday. Some teams would value Gryz over Krug. I stress "some teams" because every situation is different.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Exactly what I spoke about yesterday. Some teams would value Gryz over Krug. I stress "some teams" because every situation is different.

What type of team do you see having the highest interest in Gryz? Not a specific team, but more like a rebuilding team, "re-tooling team", playoff contender, cup contender, etc.

I would imagine that all 4 would have a team in that category that would be of interest, but I'd be curious to your thoughts on what type of team would value him the most.

Bauer3000

Oct 19, 2006

LA, EDM, STL, CHI, PHI

63-37-88
74-46-Saad

Any possibility of getting both? Not sure how that works cap wise but solves two problems with one deal

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm lukewarm on Anisimov. I think that's probably because he seemed just "okay" when on the Rangers. I haven't watched him play recently. Saad is a great target.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I love Grizz. Had some questions about him initially, but he has really turned into a player. I don't want the B's to deal him, and in a lot of ways would prefer that they dealt Krug instead, but given the situation in Boston, Grizz is more likely to be the one that is moved.

Grizz is better defensively than Krug, and a better skater. Not as big/strong as Krug, and 47 has better on-ice vision. He is signed for one more year at $1.4m and is an RFA after that, while Krug is a UFA after next season. The question mark for me is whether or not Grizz could step in (this year) and replace the PP production if Krug were to me moved.

The B's have a couple of more years (hopefully longer) of quality Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchad (and maybe Chara). If they want to compete for a Cup in the next couple of years, as much as it pains me to say it, trading Grizz makes more sense than trading Krug...unless you could trade Krug for an immediate upgrade on D (ie AP from STL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->