Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nothing about Vanek excites me. That’s another Drew Stafford type addition. Vanek seems lifeless to me, he’s either scoring or gliding around aimlessly.

Agreed
I can`t envision who Vanek could even replace in this lineup and be an uncontested upgrade?

We`ll see how this season progresses, if the B`s march towards the deadline playing solid hockey, not sure I`d be shocked if DS stands his ground a bit and does little at the deadline in order to not disrupt a lineup who`s playing well.

I`m not 100% certain of the B`s cap space but I don`t believe they have a ton of room right now so expecting a big move likely won`t happen.

If anything, again if the team is playing well and DS is confident in his troops, I could see him trying to find new homes for a guy like Vatrano and maybe secure some picks along the way?

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
There are many of us here that go back to the dark days when the Bruins were just good enough but needed that one kick to vault them into an elite team but they never pulled the trigger. This was especially true during Bourque and Neely’s primes.

Now we’re seeing something I can’t really recall in the team’s history where there are so many good prospects in the pipeline and we’re getting great contributions from first and second year players on the big club.

I think this is the opposite situation for two major reasons:

1) The season isn’t quite at the halfway point and the Bruins are in the top 10 (#9 actually) in the league. The smart move would be to see how this team (especially the rookies) hold up as the schedule grinds on.

2) There shouldn’t be any urgency to mortgage futures at this point. I believe that Don Sweeney is playing the long game and that suits as this team is a solid contender right now.

Are they a solid Stanley Cup contender? At this point I would say no, but the way the league is now, anything is possible.

This is an exciting and fun team to watch and they play hard to the end.

As a fan, I can’t honestly ask for any better.

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and TCB

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
There are many of us here that go back to the dark days when the Bruins were just good enough but needed that one kick to vault them into an elite team but they never pulled the trigger. This was especially true during Bourque and Neely’s primes.

Now we’re seeing something I can’t really recall in the team’s history where there are so many good prospects in the pipeline and we’re getting great contributions from first and second year players on the big club.

I think this is the opposite situation for two major reasons:

1) The season isn’t quite at the halfway point and the Bruins are in the top 10 (#9 actually) in the league. The smart move would be to see how this team (especially the rookies) hold up as the schedule grinds on.

2) There shouldn’t be any urgency to mortgage futures at this point. I believe that Don Sweeney is playing the long game and that suits as this team is a solid contender right now.

Are they a solid Stanley Cup contender? At this point I would say no, but the way the league is now, anything is possible.

This is an exciting and fun team to watch and they play hard to the end.

As a fan, I can’t honestly ask for any better.

I remember those yrs to well. As yes many of those yrs the Bruins were just one deal away to get them over the top. Unfortunate for Bruin fans, but it really sucked for guys like Neely and Bourque who put their heart on the line every shift and played with blood sweat and tears for the organization.

Now things are different the Bruins are in a semi-rebuild which has been jump-started by the young guns ability to play at a high level. Back in the 80's-90's the Bruins didn't really have that prospect pool they do today to make that deal come as easy as it would be today but then again today you have the Cap. Every teams goal should be to win the Cup and I feel the Bruins are again like you stated
that one kick to vault them into an elite team. So I'm all in favor of having the trigger being pulled to bring someone in especially with the stock pile of prospects and only so many slots available.

I don't want them traded for a rental
but for someone who's going to help this team be an Elite team for the next5-6yrs!

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I remember those yrs to well. As yes many of those yrs the Bruins were just one deal away to get them over the top. Unfortunate for Bruin fans, but it really sucked for guys like Neely and Bourque who put their heart on the line every shift and played with blood sweat and tears for the organization.

Now things are different the Bruins are in a semi-rebuild which has been jump-started by the young guns ability to play at a high level. Back in the 80's-90's the Bruins didn't really have that prospect pool they do today to make that deal come as easy as it would be today but then again today you have the Cap. Every teams goal should be to win the Cup and I feel the Bruins are again like you stated
that one kick to vault them into an elite team. So I'm all in favor of having the trigger being pulled to bring someone in especially with the stock pile of prospects and only so many slots available.

I don't want them traded for a rental
but for someone who's going to help this team be an Elite team for the next5-6yrs!

How can I say this I agree with you, but I am not sure it can happen.

My opinion is. Right now i don't make a move, unless something special becomes available. A defenseman that will be a core top 4 piece for this team for the next 4 years, A RW that can be a core top 6 for the team for the next 3-4 years. Possibly an elite 3rd line center (and this one might be more of a rental type), Nash has been playing admirably recently, but honestly I'd rather him as a 4th liner (plus in my vision the extra center gives some injury protection for Krejci)

Honestly as of this point I don't really have interest in the usual suspects that are on the market. Pacioretty, is expensive next year (and has been HORRIBLE this year), and honestly I don't imagine I would pay what Montreal would want to trade him in the divison. Now that could change if the acquisition price drops, and one of more of the kids start to struggle Mike Hoffman, again that contract would be a very tough pill to swallow. If you are add the deadline again, and in a position where the need is more than now, maybe, but I pass. Evander Kane, he is not a player I have any interest in making a 6/7 year core player on this franchise. Again depending on the price/situation at the deadline, he would be a maybe (and at the deadline I would probably choose Kane of the 3 )

"I don't want them traded for a rental but for someone who's going to help this team be an Elite team for the next5-6yrs"

Sorry quoted this line again. The problem is finding some team who is willing to give up that type of player. If Colorado were willing to listen on Landeskog (which they probably should, but won't) he might be that guy. If Arizona wants to deal OEL? Maybe Brodin becomes willing to sell and move Brodin (not maybe a big enough core player, but a nice piece), or Nino (I doubt, but I would pay big there)

Someone mentioned a big deal around Erik Johnson on the trade board, that might be the splash, but there is risk there, and it would be a very painful deal.

Honestly I don't know who might be that potential guy, but then again I don't have a big money contract and a team of scouts :) Donny does, so lets see if he can find it

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
On the same night the Bruins played the Senators (Saturday) Providence was playing down the road against Belleville (Ottawa's AHL affiliate).

Sens had scouts at both games.

Do NHL teams often scout their own players?

#MakeOfItWhatYouWill

@DKH @GloryDaze4877 @LouJersey @Gee Wally @Fenway

Any thoughts who Bruins would target from Ottawa? If spooned is an option to go the other way, what a perfect game a couple nights ago from him

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Hoffman would be nice but Stone is a better fit. Right shot - possible RW for Krejci. A bit younger. Likely more expensive too in terms of cost now and later. A depth scorer is what we need. Someone to play with 37-63 or 46-74. Brassard might look good between Backes and Heinen once the Nash shine wears off.

If Ottawa wasn't in our division - a deal may be made in very short order.

I also believe our Krejci insurance is Ryan Donato after the Olympics. Think Craig Janney. I only say this because of the way Pierre McQuire oozes about him being their best prospect - better than the core of prospects not named McAvoy.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Since we have a ton of prospects, what about the possibility of trading up into the top 5 in the upcoming draft? A combination of picks and a prospect or two could land us a top notch player.....

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Since we have a ton of prospects, what about the possibility of trading up into the top 5 in the upcoming draft? A combination of picks and a prospect or two could land us a top notch player.....
It's an option I'm sure.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Any thoughts who Bruins would target from Ottawa? If spooned is an option to go the other way, what a perfect game a couple nights ago from him

Yes I do. But as is always the case, I'd rather not say because talks like this happen all the time and then one side or the other decides, for whatever reason, that it's best to look elsewhere.

And there is a combination of 4 potential Bruins/P-Bruins that could go. I know at least two of them (or their families) read here so best I leave that alone.

And I don't want AOF breathing down my neck.

What I will say is this: From what I was told, the Sens were hoping for a sweep of the Bruins last week and then the rematch later this month "to get back in the race" and proceed from there. But the Bruins sweep sped everything up. Instead of being 8 points back, they are 16.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Hoffman would be nice but Stone is a better fit. Right shot - possible RW for Krejci. A bit younger. Likely more expensive too in terms of cost now and later. A depth scorer is what we need. Someone to play with 37-63 or 46-74. Brassard might look good between Backes and Heinen once the Nash shine wears off.

If Ottawa wasn't in our division - a deal may be made in very short order.

I also believe our Krejci insurance is Ryan Donato after the Olympics. Think Craig Janney. I only say this because of the way Pierre McQuire oozes about him being their best prospect - better than the core of prospects not named McAvoy.
Doiron recently came out and said everyone but Karlsson and Stone are available. Now could that change if a team like Boston is willing to cough up enough to make Doiron change his mind? Who knows. I do agree though that Stone would be a better fit than Hoffman and would be my preferred forward coming to Boston in a trade with Ottawa.

Although I was in favor of the Bruins potentially targeting Brassard if he were made available, I wouldn't make any changes to the Bruins' third line. They have chemistry, are dependable, and can produce, basically everything a team would want out of their third line. With that said, JFK and Donato are coming along nicely and can replace Nash next season if the Bruins decide not to re-sign him.

Back to Hoffman and what players Ottawa may be interested in, Heinen and Backes aren't going anywhere so that leaves Spooner, Bjork, Cehlarik, and DeBrusk, four forwards with two top 9 spots available (1 if Hoffman is added). I think Spooner is a given. Hometown kid who has been on a tear since coming back from his injury and seems to be committed to areas of the game he wasn't focusing on previously. Great forward for Ottawa to add. That leaves DeBrusk, Bjork, and Cehlarik, one of which will most likely be the last forward to make up the top 9. On Cehlarik, he has looked great in the games he has played here in Boston and developing chemistry with Krejci. The problem is that whenever he puts on a great stretch of games, he gets injured. Great player and may not necessarily be a part of the trade, but the injuries have to be a concern and something to consider especially if Cehlarik is penciled in as the Bruins 2nd line LW/RW. That leaves DeBrusk and Bjork. DeBrusk is on pace for 47pts, plays a two-way game, and goes to the dirty areas. What's not to love about his game. In time he will only get better. Fans may be willing to include Bjork in any trade because he's the one forward that has been left out of the mix once everyone got healthy, but he definitely has the highest ceiling out of the forwards I mentioned in this paragraph. We saw that in the preseason\earlier in the season when he was paired Marchand and Bergeron. The talent is there. He can end up being a two-way version of Pastrnak (60+ points).

In Providence, I would assume everyone but JFK is available for the right deal. Zboril could be a target. He has elevated his game recently, and there is some familiarity there with Chabot as they were both defensive partners on the Sea Dogs.

Apart from the players I mentioned, more cap has to be going Ottawa's way for any trade to materialize. When you look at what the young players on the Bruins have already accomplished, if the names I mentioned were made available for a forward on the Senators, I would want the Bruins to target the younger Stone.

With all of that said, I agree with @BB88. Let the kids grow and go from there to decide who should be a part of this team moving forward. Spooner has been great, DeBrusk has been great in his rookie campaign, and Bjork will be great. Sweeney will have to make a trade at some point with the influx of young talent, but there shouldn't be a need for him to rush especially since how well this team has been playing.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like Zack Smith, know he is injured and the contract isn' great but a big, aggressive player who can play w or C. I would like Hoffman, Stone as well. Would like McCormick as a "throw in" to any deal.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I like Zack Smith, know he is injured and the contract isn' great but a big, aggressive player who can play w or C. I would like Hoffman, Stone as well. Would like McCormick as a "throw in" to any deal.

McCormick is an animal. Him on the LW would actually be absurdly fun. When he gets throwing, look out because it is rock-em-sock-em robots. Not a whole lot of offense but I'd take him over Schaller.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't really touch this team too much this year. See what the kids have and keep building the prospect pool depth.

From next year forwards can go all in if it looks good.
The idea of professional sports is the win the championship. Not build your prospect pool year afetr year while not making the playoffs or winning a playoff series. This team is a top 6 team. It needs to be treated as such and not an expansion team on a five year plan....

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The idea of professional sports is the win the championship. Not build your prospect pool year afetr year while not making the playoffs or winning a playoff series. This team is a top 6 team. It needs to be treated as such and not an expansion team on a five year plan....

I don't like the market enough to go overpay for UFA/few year rental.

Find out what the weaknessess are this year and address them in the summer, if there are any. They are rolling now and no quarantee a trade makes them click any better. They can add depth but wouldn't be spending anything like 1st+ top prospect this year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

You win by building a good prospect pool . Teams that win the cup have a lot of home-grown talent. Sweeney is 2.5 years in and we are now seeing what a good "farm system" can do for the team. Stop being impatient and assuming the team isn't going to do anything.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Doiron recently came out and said everyone but Karlsson and Stone are available. Now could that change if a team like Boston is willing to cough up enough to make Doiron change his mind? Who knows. I do agree though that Stone would be a better fit than Hoffman and would be my preferred forward coming to Boston in a trade with Ottawa.

Although I was in favor of the Bruins potentially targeting Brassard if he were made available, I wouldn't make any changes to the Bruins' third line. They have chemistry, are dependable, and can produce, basically everything a team would want out of their third line. With that said, JFK and Donato are coming along nicely and can replace Nash next season if the Bruins decide not to re-sign him.

Back to Hoffman and what players Ottawa may be interested in, Heinen and Backes aren't going anywhere so that leaves Spooner, Bjork, Cehlarik, and DeBrusk, four forwards with two top 9 spots available (1 if Hoffman is added). I think Spooner is a given. Hometown kid who has been on a tear since coming back from his injury and seems to be committed to areas of the game he wasn't focusing on previously. Great forward for Ottawa to add. That leaves DeBrusk, Bjork, and Cehlarik, one of which will most likely be the last forward to make up the top 9. On Cehlarik, he has looked great in the games he has played here in Boston and developing chemistry with Krejci. The problem is that whenever he puts on a great stretch of games, he gets injured. Great player and may not necessarily be a part of the trade, but the injuries have to be a concern and something to consider especially if Cehlarik is penciled in as the Bruins 2nd line LW/RW. That leaves DeBrusk and Bjork. DeBrusk is on pace for 47pts, plays a two-way game, and goes to the dirty areas. What's not to love about his game. In time he will only get better. Fans may be willing to include Bjork in any trade because he's the one forward that has been left out of the mix once everyone got healthy, but he definitely has the highest ceiling out of the forwards I mentioned in this paragraph. We saw that in the preseason\earlier in the season when he was paired Marchand and Bergeron. The talent is there. He can end up being a two-way version of Pastrnak (60+ points).

In Providence, I would assume everyone but JFK is available for the right deal. Zboril could be a target. He has elevated his game recently, and there is some familiarity there with Chabot as they were both defensive partners on the Sea Dogs.

Apart from the players I mentioned, more cap has to be going Ottawa's way for any trade to materialize. When you look at what the young players on the Bruins have already accomplished, if the names I mentioned were made available for a forward on the Senators, I would want the Bruins to target the younger Stone.

With all of that said, I agree with @BB88. Let the kids grow and go from there to decide who should be a part of this team moving forward. Spooner has been great, DeBrusk has been great in his rookie campaign, and Bjork will be great. Sweeney will have to make a trade at some point with the influx of young talent, but there shouldn't be a need for him to rush especially since how well this team has been playing.

I won't go through point by point and will focus on one thing only and that is your assumption that more cap has to go for a trade to materialize.

I think you are (wrongly) assuming that the player's full cap hit would have to fit as of today. That is far from the truth.

Two examples I will use (and I will ASSUME no one from the Bruins roster would be going the other way) with everyone healthy.

Mark Stone: His cap hit for the remainder of the season is about $1.8 million. The Bruins currently have about $220,000 in cap space. But if acquired (no roster player going back), three players would have to be sent to Providence in order to get to the 23 man roster limit. Postma, Cehlarik and Kuraly would save about $1.2 million the rest of the year. So you are up to about $1.4 million. And you are still carrying 14 forwards and could send down one more and bingo, you are compliant while still carrying an extra forward and extra d-man

Hoffman: A little more complicated because his cap hit the rest of the year is $2,600,000. The numbers change with each passing day. But still doable.

Cap issues is not a problem the Bruins have or one they can't work out of easily enough.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I won't go through point by point and will focus on one thing only and that is your assumption that more cap has to go for a trade to materialize.

I think you are (wrongly) assuming that the player's full cap hit would have to fit as of today. That is far from the truth.

Two examples I will use (and I will ASSUME no one from the Bruins roster would be going the other way) with everyone healthy.

Mark Stone: His cap hit for the remainder of the season is about $1.8 million. The Bruins currently have about $220,000 in cap space. But if acquired (no roster player going back), three players would have to be sent to Providence in order to get to the 23 man roster limit. Postma, Cehlarik and Kuraly would save about $1.2 million the rest of the year. So you are up to about $1.4 million. And you are still carrying 14 forwards and could send down one more and bingo, you are compliant while still carrying an extra forward and extra d-man

Hoffman: A little more complicated because his cap hit the rest of the year is $2,600,000. The numbers change with each passing day. But still doable.

Cap issues is not a problem the Bruins have or one they can't work out of easily enough.
Thanks for clarifying the cap implications in my post Dom!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The obvious trade options = Postman, Vatrano, Czarnik

The good chance will be traded = McQauid, Spooner

Surprise traded = Krejci, Bjork, Cehlarik, Krug, a top prospect i.e. Zachery or Zboril.

Hoping bruins stick with obvious trades and nothing more however I did like what I saw from Czarnik and Vatrano. Just no room.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The obvious trade options = Postman, Vatrano, Czarnik

Postma isn't getting traded. He's waiver fodder. No one is going to give up anything for him. He's a #7-8 defenseman. Teams have players just like him on their rosters or on their AHL teams. Vatrano, I think you could get a late round pick for him. Bruins don't need to waive him, but don't expect a big return. Hey....For a free asset, turning him into any pick would be a success. Czarnik is an odd one to throw in there. He's in the AHL, why trade him? He's good depth.

The good chance will be traded = McQauid, Spooner

I agree here. I think Spooner is more of an option to go over McQuaid.

Surprise traded = Krejci, Bjork, Cehlarik, Krug, a top prospect i.e. Zachery or Zboril.

Same as above. I'd agree here. I think if any of these guys are traded it'd be a surprise. Most of these names are guys that would/should be involved in deals that are made over the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->