Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
No. My throwaway comment about the NHL being an Old Boys Club was somehow controversial so all of this was just in support of the likelihood that the NHL will eventually move away from only hiring former players.

The rest of my argument is not related, though I can see if the league starts hiring more people with economics degrees or people from the finance sector that we start to see less emphasis on that stuff.

I would think that will be true as owners now have more of a stake than ever with the cost of franchises and operating expenses alone. You're likely right as ex-players may not have the pedigree to fill GM slots (ironically) in today's climate where they would need more of a business background more than a players perspective. I think the best candidates would be those who have strong experience with both.

I think that's why Peter Chiarelli was a good candidate early on because he had the Harvard degree and a strong familiarity with the players. Probably the best example of this would be Lou Lamoriello as he wasn't really a player that played past college from what I know.

Funny thing about hockey players though, lots of them have gone on to careers in finance and have for a long time. Guys like Barry Pederson and Lou Nanne have probably made more money in finance than they did in their pro hockey careers

The 25 Best Ice Hockey Players In Finance

Reactions: maxl7

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Yes, why wouldn't he want and get that during free agency?
I would think he will get some team to give him $6-7 million per for 5ish years for sure.
Doesn’t have to be Boston.

I’d still trade for him this year if all it costs is Heinen and a 2nd. A JAG and a 50-60th overall pick? Ya man, sign me up.

Losing the 2nd would also prevent Sweeney from trading his first too. No chance he wants to sit around for 60+ picks twiddling his thumbs.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Milan Lucic..............
David Backes..........
Andrew Laad...........
Kyle Okposo..........

Milan Lucic = 6M -- 7 Years
David Backes = 6M -- 6 Years
Andrew Ladd = 5.5M -- 7 Years
Kyle Okposo = 6M -- 7 Years

Thank you for proving my point. I wouldn't want ANY of these players on these deals; Bruins are already stuck with Backes. So why would you want Simmonds on a similar contract? I said around 7M, by the way. I think I know what you're trying to do here. At the end of the day, I don't want Wayne Simmonds for 6-7M a year at 5+ years.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, why wouldn't he want and get that during free agency?

Seems like GMs are starting to show some restraint in regards to term for UFAs over the age of 30. Me thinks they are starting to catch on that giving guys in this age range 5-6-7 year deals ends up a mistake 9 times out of 10.

I think the most Simmonds gets is 4 years. Which is still too many but some GM will bite.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Along with just about everyone else in the NHL. Look at most mocks and they had Zboril ahead of Chabot. No one even thought twice when he was d-man Boston drafted.
I was at the draft and when they walked up my table said give me the 3 they take.

Zboril
Barzal
Connor

Wild card White

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Seems like GMs are starting to show some restraint in regards to term for UFAs over the age of 30. Me thinks they are starting to catch on that giving guys in this age range 5-6-7 year deals ends up a mistake 9 times out of 10.

I think the most Simmonds gets is 4 years. Which is still too many but some GM will bite.

We'll see. The last few Simmonds type players that hit the UFA market got those big 6-7 year deals, so I definitely still see Simmonds getting something similar.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But then they draft Carlo in the second round

So dumb
So smart

Life can be so unpredictable

The draft to me is a lot like shopping for a car. You can do as much research as you want. You can look at the performance spec (stats), talk to current owners (interview family, friends, coaches) and even put it through its paces on a test drive (NHL Combine)....at the end of the day though, you wont know if it works for your everday life until its actually part of your everday life.

Reactions: Chief Nine and DKH

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We'll see. The last few Simmonds type players that hit the UFA market got those big 6-7 year deals, so I definitely still see Simmonds getting something similar.

I think a lot of them learned from that terrible 2016 UFA class where all those power-forward types signed big money long term deals.

Now say if a Jamie Benn hit UFA, different story, but Simmonds isn't on the same level.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't want Simmonds or any other Band-Aid fix. I think you stay the course. Hope the kids find their groove sooner rather than later. Ride that first line until that happens.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The draft to me is a lot like shopping for a car. You can do as much research as you want. You can look at the performance spec (stats), talk to current owners (interview family, friends, coaches) and even put it through its paces on a test drive (NHL Combine)....at the end of the day though, you wont know if it works for your everday life until its actually part of your everday life.

True. But if it's a Ferrari, you'd probably find a way to make it work regardless.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If you can find it read John Ferguson's book Thunder and Lightning, his reaction when Wilson asked him about the trade speaks volumes about how awful a trade that was.

I just looked this up but the only book that I found by him with that title was written in 1989? Are you sure of the author and/or title?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
goes to show the cap is a tricky thing for all of us {maybe not dom}

ive been arguing that the bonus situation must be taken into account when proposing to make deals but I didn't realize chara has already earned 1.25 million of his bonus. has that been added into cap friendly calculations already or is it money off the books that we need to figure ourselves?

maybe dom can help us with that question... but cap friendly has a category of potential bonuses and we have a lot of exposure there. if everyone earns their bonus we will be over our cap before the end of the season. our room isn't that great compared to our exposure

Bonuses are calculated at the end of the season and then added in.

If you have cap space, no problem. If they put you over the cap, then you use the bonus cushion to carry over to next season.

Cap Friendly's numbers do not include bonuses earned until now. Like the NHL, they wait until the end of the season.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
But then they draft Carlo in the second round

So dumb
So smart

Life can be so unpredictable

Lets not forget Lauzon in the 2nd rnd as well and to their defense Zboril was the top d-man available on just about everyone's list when the Bruins took him.

As far as Chabot his real coming out party came the following yr during the WJ but it just go's to show how hard it is to scout 17-18 yr olds and predict what they'll be a yr down the road let alone their whole career.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think a lot of them learned from that terrible 2016 UFA class where all those power-forward types signed big money long term deals.

Now say if a Jamie Benn hit UFA, different story, but Simmonds isn't on the same level.

what I hope was learnt was the correct lesson... competing with one another to hand out 6 and 7 year contracts to guys who will turn 34-35 {or older} before that contract is done is ludicrous. and it doesn't matter if you are doing this deal for some new shinny ufa or your own old experienced soldier

sure you can be happy occasionally with these deals and get yourself a Bergeron or marchand… perhaps even a chara would qualify as someone we were happy with on his last deal?

but for each of these success stories you end up with a krecji or a rask and definitely the occasional backes where you just don't feel too good about your results.

I wonder exactly where it was in the past that the 2 and 3 year deal was thrown out the door? even when we look at that 2016 season which I agree with you sets the example for worst ufa results of any class in recent memory... most those deals wouldn't have been so horrible if they were expiring this year.

sure backes was hurt for us... but would we feel ok with the gamble if this was his last year with us?

lucic actually had 1 pretty good year and just the 1 miserable year so far... would oiler fans be unhappy if he was an ufa this year?

ladd never did become the winger to keep Tavares happy... and he wasn't too good for the islanders but again... if he was an ufa this year would it really be anything worth complaining about?

gm's and their team management/ownership need to come to their senses... its ok for someone to pay wayne Simmonds 6 million dollars this fall but it would be idiot for anyone to give him more than a 3 year deal. and honestly other than the top 10% of players in the nhl… no one should be getting more than 3 year contracts.

even kids like pastrnak shouldn't be getting the long term deals. we got lucky with pastrnak and its looking like the contract will pay off rather nicely for us but would it have been so horrible to the player if he had been forced to take a 3 year deal at around 3-4 mill because that was what the norm was? if the next cba sets limits on second term players like it did on first term players... would that really be the most horrible thing in the world?

3 year limits on players that enter the league where most the big money is bonus money... and then maybe a 2 year term limit on second term players. perhaps... give them arbitration rights so that its fair for them but set the top end money at around whatever the 50th highest paid player in the league is making for first round picks... and less for lower drafted players. kind of a reward for marquee players but a restriction on other guys so that spending will get under control.

there is a certain logic to this in a cap league that is unionized. veteran players don't want all the cap money going to kids.

get the first 5 years under control with some cost certainity and then if you absolutely must give a guy a 6-7-8 year deal you are giving it to a 23-24 year old. really most teams only have 3-4 guys at any given time that should ever be given one of these types of contracts and it should happen in their early-mid 20s if at all

for almost 100 years the league got by just fine without handing out 6+ year contracts and I cant find any thing that I would say became better for anyone except the players when all that changed. sorry players but if you want to earn an average of 2 mill per year on your contracts to play hockey, maybe you have to live without job security until you retire in your mid 30s. the league is bigger and more important than your getting to chose which city you want to live in for the next 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad