Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was at last night game and Nordstrom & Bjork were all over the place. It’s obvious after 10 games Nordstrom is another player with a plus hockey awareness.

I would throw Donato with them as others have posted

Eventually you are going to be fine at center long term but right now

Donato-Nordstrom- Bjork

Works

That shot by Donato in the second was heading right at us and I was watching him and I still haven’t seen him release it was so fast

Don’t want to turn this into a Ryan Donato thread, but...

I Like Donato’s offensive game a lot, but there was a play last night that highlights his lack of awareness and really worries me.

Third period, B’s are up two, but Flyers have a brief 5 on 3 with Donato in the box (think he was serving the extra two on Kampfer).

He jumps out of the box and the puck comes to him in the NZ. I believe he had Bergeron with him, but the B’s are still short handed 5 on 4 (with Chara in the box), the Flyers have two guys back (one may have been a forward) and you are up 2 goals with not a lot of time left.

Situational hockey.

If you are down a goal, maybe you take a chance there (especially if it was a F back) and try to get the GTG. That was NOT the case and the smart play would have been to get over the red line, get it deep and get a PK guy on the ice.

Instead, Donato stalls in between the red line and the offensive blue line. I think he was waiting for Bergeron to join the play, but I’m not sure? He continues with the puck and then when he gets to the blue line, he tries to make a deke/move on the Philly player with the intention of generating an offensive play. I start yelling at the TV,

“Donato, WTF are you doing? Dump it and change up!!”

Of course, he loses the puck and Philly transitions back up the ice, still up a man with Donato chasing the play. In the meantime, I’m listening to Brickley giving Donato credit for “hustling back”. If he had made the smart “situational” play to begin with, he would not have turned the puck over, nor would he have had to hustle back.

I get it, Donato is young, and he’s still learning, but on the other hand, he’s been playing high level hockey for years. At this point in his career, inexperienced or not, getting that puck deep is a no-brainer.

I hope that one of the coaches had a talk with him about that play. Not sure if he saw the ice again because it was late in the game, but that’s the kind of thing I would sit somebody a shift for doing.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I put him in the same category is Bjork. Have them focus on the details and the scoring will eventually will come. Both have plus offensive abilities and fine tuning those little details will lead to more opportunities.

Yeah Bjork to me has so much upside. I'm really high on him and Heinen and of course DeBrusk. I'd like to see where they're all at around 20 games or so depending on if the B's are holding their own. They could be huge factors this year if they keep growing like they have.

But I have to say that I'm super bullish on the D right now. All these injuries and a kid like Lauzon waiting in the wings comes in and did such a good job last night. The future is really bright with this depth now that we've seen a bit of Vaakanainen as well. They have some decisions to make once Krug, Miller and McAvoy are all back

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I put him in the same category is Bjork. Have them focus on the details and the scoring will eventually will come. Both have plus offensive abilities and fine tuning those little details will lead to more opportunities.

I look at Bjork and Donato completely differently.

In my eyes, even when Bjork is not scoring, he can play a defensive role and not hurt you. If Donato is not scoring, he doesn’t serve much of a purpose (at this point). You aren’t using him on the PK or late in games with a lead the way he plays right now.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

In my eyes, even when Bjork is not scoring, he can play a defensive role and not hurt you. If Donato is not scoring, he doesn’t serve much of a purpose (at this point). You aren’t using him on the PK or late in games with a lead the way he plays right now.

oh 100% I agree, I'm more so talking just about the offensive side though. Both guys seem to be gripping the stick a bit tight with offensive chances. Donato obviously needs more work without the puck than Bjork, but I think if both just focus on continue to improve that part of the game, the offense will come.

Reactions: Blowfish and DKH

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I'd like to see what Bjork can do with PP1 time. Especially right now with Krug out.

But Chris Bouque also got a lot of PP time in 2013 though so its not like this preferential treatment is anything new around these parts.

Reactions: Blowfish

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Hahaha, oh JP Nolan.....Good ol' JP! Those assets are not bad at all so stop alluding to them being bad. Krug wouldn't be the sweetener. He would be the main piece going back and those two with him better bring back a very good player. Also, I'm confused by your wording...... You think they're bad assets but they're good enough assets to get Krejci a winger? This doesn't make any sense.

****ing Book It!!!!

Ignore button is a blessing (I wish I had your patience).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I too like Nordstrom, very much like his hustle game, that's for sure. 20 - 52 - 14 is also my ideal 4th line going forward with everyone healthy.

The big thing for me is David Backes... Even "healthy" Backes this year looks like a 13th forward out there. It's pretty rough to watch, and I'm not sure it's going to get better, honestly. A once durable power forward now looks like he's made of egg where one hit can crack him for eternity.
I’m the president of the David Backes fan club but the hits he is taking and the propensity of them is a major concern. Concussions have to affect decision making and reaction.

If he’s healthy I would give him a go at 3rd Line RW and if Donato struggles a bit more send him out.

Bjork-Nordstrom-Backes

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I Like Donato’s offensive game a lot, but there was a play last night that highlights his lack of awareness and really worries me.

Third period, B’s are up two, but Flyers have a brief 5 on 3 with Donato in the box (think he was serving the extra two on Kampfer).

He jumps out of the box and the puck comes to him in the NZ. I believe he had Bergeron with him, but the B’s are still short handed 5 on 4 (with Chara in the box), the Flyers have two guys back (one may have been a forward) and you are up 2 goals with not a lot of time left.

Situational hockey.

If you are down a goal, maybe you take a chance there (especially if it was a F back) and try to get the GTG. That was NOT the case and the smart play would have been to get over the red line, get it deep and get a PK guy on the ice.

Instead, Donato stalls in between the red line and the offensive blue line. I think he was waiting for Bergeron to join the play, but I’m not sure? He continues with the puck and then when he gets to the blue line, he tries to make a deke/move on the Philly player with the intention of generating an offensive play. I start yelling at the TV,

Of course, he loses the puck and Philly transitions back up the ice, still up a man with Donato chasing the play. In the meantime, I’m listening to Brickley giving Donato credit for “hustling back”. If he had made the smart “situational” play to begin with, he would not have turned the puck over, nor would he have had to hustle back.

I get it, Donato is young, and he’s still learning, but on the other hand, he’s been playing high level hockey for years. At this point in his career, inexperienced or not, getting that puck deep is a no-brainer.

I hope that one of the coaches had a talk with him about that play. Not sure if he saw the ice again because it was late in the game, but that’s the kind of thing I would sit somebody a shift for doing.

I had a flashback as I read this because I legitimately thought and said the same exact thing.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Situational hockey.

^^^^^^^^^^^^Right on the money! I saw that too and was like whaaaaaaaaaaaat the helllll? I seriously thought "if the Flyers score on that he needs to be in daddy's limo TONIGHT to Providence!
BTW: That comment by Brickley was embarrassing and insulting (to fans). It's important to be objective and NOT be an Ed McMahon "yes man."

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How many picks is that?
Depends on the amount that they offer him. Whatever that price is I don't want to pay it. Seeing how hesitant DS is in making trades I can honestly say that a trade or an offer sheet aren't worth holding your breath for.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Nordy can hold the fort down on 3C until the new year I would say that (at this point) 2RW is more important for the immediate future. As others have said the B's have guys on the cusp like Frederic, JFK, Gabriel. Maybe try to bring in an expiring contract RHC (don't know who) who won't be upset at getting third line minutes as other have said then fine. I would NOT give up a single pick in the 2019 draft and as a matter of fact if I'm DS I do whatever is within reason to pick up another first or second round pick.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If Nordy can hold the fort down on 3C until the new year I would say that (at this point) 2RW is more important for the immediate future. As others have said the B's have guys on the cusp like Frederic, JFK, Gabriel. Maybe try to bring in an expiring contract RHC (don't know who) who won't be upset at getting third line minutes as other have said then fine. I wold NOT give up a single pick in the 2019 draft and as a matter of fact if I'm DS I do whatever is within reason to pick up another first or second round pick.
I appreciate the desire to hang on to our picks. And the team didn't have a first rounder this year after the Rick Nash trade.

But how much longer are we going to have Chara, Bergy and Krejci contributing to the team's success? This next draft, with Hughes as the highlight, is supposed to be deep. So here's the dilemma, go for it now with three solid centers or draft and develop for the future.

I prefer the former.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I appreciate the desire to hang on to our picks. And the team didn't have a first rounder this year after the Rick Nash trade.

But how much longer are we going to have Chara, Bergy and Krejci contributing to the team's success? This next draft, with Hughes as the highlight, is supposed to be deep. So here's the dilemma, go for it now with three solid centers or draft and develop for the future.

I prefer the former.

Well........Donnie is obviously trying to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->