Confirmed with Link: Bruins trade Frank Vatrano to the Panthers in exchange for a 2018 3rd-round draft pick

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Just hope he can carve a niche for himself in the NHL. Good luck. Easy player to root for.
But wasn't happening here, this year or probably next.

He could win The Rocket - and I'll be happy for him a lot more than I'll worry whether the Bruins gave up on him too early. Wish him the best.

I think it's a nice trade for all three.

Reactions: Flannelman

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If they acquire a player before the deadline, they have to waive someone, I'm pretty sure.

Heinen, DeBrusk, Carlo, McAvoy and Grzelcyk are all waivers exempt. Aside from McAvoy, I could see any one of those guys being assigned to Providence on paper for one or two days.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
To me, Vatrano is a classic tweeter. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. He had some great goals, but I'll mostly remember him taking a ton of low-chance shots that would kill an offensive possession. Maybe things change in Florida, but it didn't seem like he was getting better each year he was here. I get that he's only 23, so you would expect him to develop further, but I think he is what he is at this point, a one-dimensional, inconsistent shooter, who doesn't add much else. I think a 3rd round pick was about as good as you were going to get for a guy who clearly wasn't in your current or future plans. Considering the talk about how it's a buyer's market, it feels like prices haven't been all that low for the trades that have occurred.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Will miss Vatrano. I think with some decent one on one coaching he is going to be a threat

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
To me, Vatrano is a classic tweeter. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. He had some great goals, but I'll mostly remember him taking a ton of low-chance shots that would kill an offensive possession. Maybe things change in Florida, but it didn't seem like he was getting better each year he was here. I get that he's only 23, so you would expect him to develop further, but I think he is what he is at this point, a one-dimensional, inconsistent shooter, who doesn't add much else. I think a 3rd round pick was about as good as you were going to get for a guy who clearly wasn't in your current or future plans. Considering the talk about how it's a buyer's market, it feels like prices haven't been all that low for the trades that have occurred.
I'm surprised we could even get a 3rd back for Frankie. I was thinking at most a 4th or lower.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kinda sucks. I like his game. Really wish he could have found a role under Cassidy. He was headed for the waiver wire next fall though. Maybe sooner. I bet he and his agent were pushing for a fresh start anyway. A 3rd round pick is good value, especially when you consider he was an undrafted free agent signing a few years ago.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Other than a Boston Bruins trade involving the Florida Panthers, I don't see too many similarities between Vatrano and Reilly Smith.

Vatrano has a strong NHL shot but he doesn't seem to get open often enough to use it. Maybe that all changes as he matures and plays first line minutes. I'm not too worried though. I can see him reaching 18-22 goals on a weak team.
On a strong team he's probably buried...but we already know that.

Reactions: missingchicklet

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Good pickup. Vatrano was blocked by better prospects. Really wished he could have stuck, but he wasn't beating out Debrusk, Heinen, or Spooner and had guys like Senyshyn and Donato coming up behind who probably have more upside.

I did like Vatrano and wish he had done it here in Boston, but at least he will get a shot with his new team.

BTW this is the exact type of move we should have done with Koko ages ago. Instead we lost him for nothing. Glad to see Sweeney is learning to move on quickly and recouping some draft capital once he identifies a player is not a fit for the Bruins.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I hoped for better for Frankie V but I am glad we had the foresight to restock the shelves knowing he just wasn't going to fit...

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He has some good individual skills, I just don't think he has enough Hockey IQ to be anything more than a third/fourth liner.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Throw him with an elite player, he can probably pot 20-30 eventually. He's got the shot. Just the rest of the package isn't good enough to compensate.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ya think?

IMO, If B's threw him on Bergy's line (ignoring the LW/RW issue for a moment) he'd have dragged them down.

Well, we'll never know now- it's up to Florida to try and get the the best out of him. Maybe they can- sometimes it is opportunity, line chemistry, coaching, system, as much as the player. I wish him well; I always liked Frankie V and hoped he would be better for us.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Best of luck Frankie - you’re easy to root for and genuinely hope you find a consistent role and personal success down in Florida.

Some general takeaways from this trade:

1. Man it sure is nice to have a decisive GM that is able to properly “evaluate, assess, and identify” (throwback!) when a player is not fitting, run his course, or is blocking others from chances. What a breath of fresh air.

2. It’s also nice to showcase that as a GM you’re willing to work to find new homes for your players that are not a fit and may work elsewhere. This is a signal to other young players that might be in similar scenarios. Generally speaking, it’s just a good business practice and speaks good about your brand.

3. It sure was nice to not only recoup a 3rd rounder that was just spent on the Holden trade, but it’s likely to be a earlier pick than the one you spent.

4. Maximizing assets and asset management - this is the largest factor in determining if you are going to be a successful franchise year over year. Being able to properly “assess, evaluate, and identify” when you can or better yet should move on from a player and being able to yield a fair return (dare I say good return) is paramount to franchise success. Recent failures to do so and the results of not having done so has dominated most of the discussion on this board since 2013 (Seguin, Eriksson, Boychuk, etc) and led to the firing of the previous regime and is why the new GM has his job title.

5. Turning a NCAA UFA signing into a 3rd rounder 3 years after signing the player - and that same player has not worked here - is impressive.

While this was a very small move, it’s a signal to me in many ways that the guard has changed. Well done Don.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
This was a win all around. Vatrano will get some NHL ice time, Bruins get a decent draft pick, and Florida gets a guy with some potential. Did not think Frank V had this kind of value but this is a nice trade for everyone.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I always appreciated the effort, never really felt he cheated in that department but like you, think he`s a "tweener". You would think, after his time in Boston, he would have, by now, improved in the area of being able to recognize where he needs to be in the offensive zone, get to those "soft spots" , make himself available to a teammate to get that sublime shot off. I just never saw it, didn`t see one bit of improvement in this area and this season, perhaps due to trying too hard to stay in the lineup, he took some stupid penalties.

I have no fear he`ll come back to haunt the B`s, I`m not too convinced he finds a permanent spot on the Panthers TBH regardless of their record

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc
for those bashing asset management for DS this one seems pretty good, they turn an undrafted free agent signing into a third rounder. Not too bad.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
If he gets to play on the Huberdeau Barkov line or the Trochek line I could see him puttin up 20-30 goals but he was never gonna do that here. Best of luck in Florida Frank.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
i don't like the move. seemed like cassidy hated him. is the guy a complete prick off the ice or was he screwing around or something?

i never understood his lack of playing time. sure he made some mistakes but so did the other players. i'm still a frank v fan and will go down with the ship. smart move by the panthers. 3rd round pick is who cares territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->