Confirmed with Link: Bruins trade Frank Vatrano to the Panthers in exchange for a 2018 3rd-round draft pick

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Better than losing him on waivers.

I'm sure he will be a good player just not here.

Like it better than Holden trade still.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
We all know the guy can shoot. A lot like Reilly Smith, I hope he finds the right team, system, and linemates. If he has that, he can produce in the NHL.

Thrilled with a 3rd round pick. Way to get it back.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
One of my first impressions of DS is that he has limited relationships around the league and doesn't like wide-ranging phone work. Just a impression.

Maybe that has changed and was just about being a new GM? But who knows.

what are you basing that on? Are you his Administrative Assistant? How could you possibly know that he has limited relationships in the League and doesn't like burning up the phones?

"GloveSave1, get me the GM of San Jose... no wait.. that's too wide ranging... Put me on with Florida!"

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Eh if they don't make a deal for someone like a Karlsson or Nash then I'm not sure why it was necessary to make this move. 3rd moves up 18 or so spots so that's good. However, really liked Frank. The most recent trade with the Rangers doesn't move the needle and only makes sense if they move on from someone like Krug. Something has to give because you just acquired a top 6 D man for a 3rd rounder which is an overpay so the chances of him sitting is null.
You may think a third for a vet D like Holden is a bad move. I don’t.

1) He’s a left shot.
2) Look at the 8 D we were forced to use against OTT last year (Morrow, Liles, Cross, and a 19 year old with ZERO NHL games).
3) Look at our injury overload at start of season to see how #2 came to be ( Krug, Backes, Bergie, Marchand, etc) to see how quick it can happen again.
4) Too many prospects (like that’s a bad thing) so no room for FV or RO.
5) Can never have too much D depth in PO.
6) Improved 3rd pick by a bunch of spots.

Hard to gripe about both moves. Overall a clear improvement in my book.

Reactions: Agent86

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You may think a third for a vet D like Holden is a bad move. I don’t.

1) He’s a left shot.
2) Look at the 8 D we were forced to use against OTT last year (Morrow, Liles, Cross, and a 19 year old with ZERO NHL games).
3) Look at our injury overload at start of season to see how #2 came to be ( Krug, Backes, Bergie, Marchand, etc) to see how quick it can happen again.
4) Too many prospects (like that’s a bad thing) so no room for FV or RO.
5) Can never have too much D depth in PO.
6) Improved 3rd pick by a bunch of spots.

Hard to gripe about both moves. Overall a clear improvement in my book.

Even if you toss out the draft picks (moving up a bunch of spots), do the Bruins have a better chance to win a championship with Holden as the 4th LD, or with O'Gara as the 4th LD and Vatrano as forward wing option I'll say Option 10 (the 8 wingers in the line-up and Czarnik ahead of him).

Even with Bjork's season-ending injury, they still have Cehlarik, Szwarz, Agostino, and Blidh as options behind him. Not to mention the possibility of Donato being signed when his season in Harvard is over. And there is still this Beleskey character who I would imagine gets recalled at playoff time as a black ace.

I think their cup chances are better today than they were a few days ago.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Good luck to Frankie. Had/has a filthy shot, but for whatever reason he didn't make the next step here. I wish him nothing but success and happiness.

PS: I thought he was going to be a 30 goals scorer with the Bruins...

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
what are you basing that on? Are you his Administrative Assistant? How could you possibly know that he has limited relationships in the League and doesn't like burning up the phones?

"GloveSave1, get me the GM of San Jose... no wait.. that's too wide ranging... Put me on with Florida!"

I got that impression from monitoring what was said in the media mainly during the deadline periods during DS time as GM. Clearly, I'm not the only one that got the impression he mainly focuses on talks with a very small amount of clubs and goes all-in on those. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never gotten the impression that he's a "multiple burners" guy. He focuses in and scrambles for the Staffords, Liles, and Stempniak scraps after the buzzer, if his one focus falls through.

From watching his time as Bruins GM does he seems like a guy focused on checking in with other GMs, forming a broad range of contacts/relationships - or a guy with his own building plan that occasionally reaches out when he must?

Another example that just came to mind is the draft. A few times the Bruins have profoundly reached, leading many to question why DS didn't trade down which would be normal.

I just don't think it's DS game. He's a draft and develop guy. Certainly does things his way. He's focused on getting his guy on his board, not working the phones to squeeze a extra return out of the difference between a 1st and 2nd round slot. That behavior is a indication.

Last edited:

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
A surprisingly good return for somebody who was blocking Donato/Czarnik/Bjork and when you think about it, Holden, at least as far as a roster spot goes.

How much could Postma bring?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Reilly Smith took advantage of an opportunity with Florida and carved out a nice career for himself. Hope the Springfield Rifle can also score a bullseye with the Panthers.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
One of my first impressions of DS is that he has limited relationships around the league and doesn't like wide-ranging phone work. Just a impression.

Maybe that has changed and was just about being a new GM? But who knows.

I think Sweeney been at them draft tables and around the league long enough he knows most in the game.He is just quiet and does his homework.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure where to post this, but obviously the Bruins are not going to keep 9 D on the roster the rest of the season (preventing them from having a 13th forward).

I imagine they will at some point try to slip Postmark through waivers and stash him in Providence as insurance. Does anyone think he would get claimed? He is number 9 here but would likely be number 6/7 on some teams.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
There's no roster size limit after the deadline, so they might keep up all 9 defencemen.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I think Sweeney been at them draft tables and around the league long enough he knows most in the game.He is just quiet and does his homework.

I'm a fan. Just feel there are GMs that are the chatty wheelers and dealers and then there are the inwardly focused guys. Gotta have a way of doing things.

It only really comes up when he can't get things done during times like a tight window at the deadline or squeezing value out of draft spots.

But you guys are right...it's just an opinion. Maybe he frequently chats with all the other GMs. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad