Confirmed with Link: Bruins trade Frank Vatrano to the Panthers in exchange for a 2018 3rd-round draft pick

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Kudos to Sweeney for his patience. I don’t know how many times he faced pressure to send frank down and risk waivers.

There were varying opinions if frank would clear or not but not sure I heard anyone say Sweeney could have received a 3rd for him.

Great value and much better situation for frank. How frustrating it must have been for frank....a player has a limited window to show your goods and then earn a legitimate contract and that is difficult to do in the situation he was in the Bruins.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Like it.
Makes sense.

Turned a former undrafted signee...who may have already over-achieved...into a 3rd round pick.

The probability of a 3rd rounder being a big contributor isn't likely all that great . I don't know the %, but guessing it is about the same or better than Frank becoming a significant contributor in Boston, with the competition he's facing internally.

Good move.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Frankie V scores hatty March 15 and March 31.

Frank had zero left here. Getting a 3rd is ok. Contract gone.. Czarnik back up?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Decent move by Sweeney. Improved the 3rd round pick by about 20 spots. Franky wasn't going to crack the Bruin line-up. RFA which likely the bruins would have not resigned. He was waiver eligible, so we could have lost him for nothing
If the Bruins could move Postma for a 5th, they would have all their draft picks back. We would than have 4 right and 4 left defenseman.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Vatrano traded
Bjork done till camp

Donato being signed or they are herring a winger

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
A good move to get something for him, in this case a replacement for the third-round pick we just dealt. I wish Frank well, hope he benefits from a fresh start with Florida.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Eh if they don't make a deal for someone like a Karlsson or Nash then I'm not sure why it was necessary to make this move. 3rd moves up 18 or so spots so that's good. However, really liked Frank. The most recent trade with the Rangers doesn't move the needle and only makes sense if they move on from someone like Krug. Something has to give because you just acquired a top 6 D man for a 3rd rounder which is an overpay so the chances of him sitting is null.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Good luck Frankie. I think he can still be a decent 3rd liner with 2nd line potential, but it was not going to happen in Boston.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this bums me out, but best of luck to him.

i really thought he'd be a player one day. that goal scoring tear he went on in providence made him a very exciting prospect but he just never did enough to separate himself from the pack once Heinen/Cehlarik/Bjork arrived.

Reactions: Over the volcano

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Now I have that song stuck in my head - thanks, cool song!

I'm happy for Vatrano, as I didn't see him getting much more of a shot here. I expect him to torch the Bruins when he plays against them. Just seems the way it usually goes.
I can further ruin that song for you:

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
As many have said above, I like Vatrano, but getting a 3rd back for him is good value, and hopefully he can find a spot in the lineup for Florida.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Also with this trade, Bruins getting the next Gretzky in the 3rd round is back on!! Have a chance to grab him even earlier than they would have now.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Trade was coming for sure I guess but I don't love it to be honest . I still believe this kid can score a lot in this league and be a good enough all around player. I know we couldn't get any more but because I see him doing very well I don't think a 3rd will look good when he does.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Good trade for both teams. Glad DS was able to get good return for someone who really didn't have a future here. I like Vatrano and thought he had improved his all-around game. Just a problem of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and he wasn't able to use his chances to make a compelling case for playing over other people. He has NHL talent and can be of use for a team. Would not be surprised at all to see him blossom down the road if given a good amount of ice time in the right situation. DS cannot keep everyone, so trading away the likes of Vatrano and O'Gara is smart business, as well as a good deal for the players since they will have a better shot of not being buried in the AHL. Good move by DS, and best of luck to Frankie V!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Frankie V scores hatty March 15 and March 31.

Frank had zero left here. Getting a 3rd is ok. Contract gone.. Czarnik back up?

someone told me today that vatrano was just invited up to toronto to attend the b's rookie dinner.
i guess he can still go to it since he's injured and not ready to play for florida, but that's kind of
bizarre timing if they knew it was going down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad